Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we just bought a 2019 RAV4 XLE, with the base Entune 3.0 system. I'd heard so much hatred on this forum about the infotainment system and navigation that I was bracing for the worst. Before I even bought the car, I was already researching different heads to replace the stock head with an Android Auto-compatible system. It's one of the reasons I went with the base system.

After three days.... it doesn't seem so bad.

Regarding Scout GPS Link, I've used the Scout GPS Link to map to both familiar places (to test accuracy) and all-new ones. So far, it's been rock solid. The directions have been spot-on, search results have had everything I've sought (including somewhat obscure things), and the voice recognition (i,e, "Find [place] in [city]") has been 10 for 10. I like that you can set favorites on the phone app so that they'll be available later on the car's screen. I've experienced zero issues, aside from two things: 1) Once in a while I'll need to disconnect and reconnect my phone's USB cable, and 2) the vocal turn-by-turn doesn't mute music, so it can be hard to hear if you're rocking out. Of course, I prefer Google Maps, but small annoyances aside, Scout gets the job done. I also have unlimited data on my phone, so burning through data doesn't bother me.

On Entune, it's not the greatest OS in the world. Yes, this is the first car I've owned that was built after 2007. However, I've driven a ton of modern rental cars over the past several years (didn't want to add to the 186,000 miles already on our 2003 RAV4) and have become pretty adept with a variety of infotainment systems. For instance, I spent about two weeks driving a brand new Citroen C4 Cactus across Europe this past summer, and the C4's infotainment system was amazing (I wish they sold that odd little crossover here in the States). There are better infotainment systems out there, for sure. However, IMHO, Entune isn't as bad as I was led to believe.

The one system-wide issue that I think is serious is the response time. It's slow. Real slow. Like scrolling through band names in the music Artist list takes a while, or keying up the voice recognition so you can map somewhere takes a bit to load. You certainly don't want to be in a hurry. I also don't like how long it takes for everything to connect and load up when I start the car.

My impression so far after using the system pretty intensively: it's not great, but it seems to work, just a lot slower than I'd like. It gets there eventually, though. It's certainly not a dire emergency to rip it out and replace it with a third party head.

What are the failings you guys are finding in the system(s)?

·
Registered
521 Posts
XSE with upgraded Entune/JBL. I agree.. Not snappy but does just fine. No failures Since I’ve had it. 2 months. I’m sure the tech nerds don’t like it? And will point out all the shortfalls? But I’m happy with it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
XSE with upgraded Entune/JBL. I agree.. Not snappy but does just fine. No failures Since I’ve had it. 2 months. I’m sure the tech nerds don’t like it? And will point out all the shortfalls? But I’m happy with it.
Same here. I’m generally very satisfied with it. It is a bit laggy, but I can work with that. Its refusal to display album artwork while the vehicle is moving is ridiculous and I’m hoping someone will come up with a way to defeat that behavior. But overall I like the system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Samsung phone on my XSE Hybrid, so I installed the Scout GPS app. It was a nightmare trying to make it work, and I deleted and installed the application again to see if it worked better. When I connected the phone, the system would not display the map, and asked me several times to connect the phone. Then the system would not display the map at all, and the route was the worst possible one to get to my destination. It happened several times, and it was a total frustration, so I decided to switch to the iPhone and use Apple CarPlay instead. So far, perfect ! I would never go back to Scout GPS and would wait for Toyota to retrofit Android Auto in the 2019 RAV4, if they go with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a Samsung phone on my XSE Hybrid, so I installed the Scout GPS app. It was a nightmare trying to make it work, and I deleted and installed the application again to see if it worked better. When I connected the phone, the system would not display the map, and asked me several times to connect the phone. Then the system would not display the map at all, and the route was the worst possible one to get to my destination. It happened several times, and it was a total frustration, so I decided to switch to the iPhone and use Apple CarPlay instead. So far, perfect ! I would never go back to Scout GPS and would wait for Toyota to retrofit Android Auto in the 2019 RAV4, if they go with it.
I agree. On my new iPhone car play is flawless. On my other 2 android phones it's so fustrating. It disconnects and lags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts