Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have abut 1500 miles on my 4 cyl Sport and have always used Castrol GTX oil but I have thought of trying something different in the RAV. I have followed the post on synthetic oils and so far I am not convinced I need them. My Driving during the week consists of shot trips to work of 2 miles and some road trips on the weekends. It does not get to hot or cold in Georgia normaly. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you're not going to switch to synthetic, stick with Castrol GTX.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't forget ---- Short trips, is the worst thing for your engine. We all do it and many of us don't have a choice. It is concidered an "extreme driving condition" and the more protection you give it....the better off you'll be. Synthetic all the way. Castrol Syntec is what I use.

Later. M.

·
Registered
24 Posts
TICMXMAN said:
Any thoughts?
Every 5,000 miles, put in the cheapest 5W-30 oil you can find. Your engine will not blow up or need a premature rebuild if you don't use synthetic. You won't be able to tell the difference from the driver's seat or from your mechanic's creeper. Only your wallet (or perhaps the lab analysis results printout) will be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
karrock said:
Mobil One full synthetic, all the way! 8) Only oil that's ever been put into any of my RAVs. Great stuff!
Same here, I use Mobil 1 on my first oil change until now. I believe Synthetic oil will have the better result than the regular oil.... I mean the protection on our engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
While I wouldn't say that synthetic oil is an absolute necessity -- to each their own -- by the same token, I wouldn't want to subject anyone or their vehicle to the "cheapest" oil they can find. There is a difference in quality between buying a case of conventional sludge at the dollar store and branded oil, even if it only says "Wal Mart" on it. :?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
its funny how there are two completely different schools of thought on this..

The way I see it is.... I just spent almost $30000 hard earned $$ on a new vehicle. WHY on earth would I try to save a few dollars every oil change?? But that just me. Im sure daveman does not agree.. Its up to to you I guess. Its how much you can afford and how much do you LOVE your Rav is the bottom line.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just changed oil at 996 miles. I used Castrol synthetic 5w-20. I usually use Mobil 1, but the 0-20 and 5-20 were a bitch to find.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Unless you plan to race your RAV4, do alot of heavy towing or you live in a climate with extreme temperature, there is no need for synthetic oil. There have been studies that shows synthetic oil, under normal driving condition, does not improve engine wear. It is perhaps more cost effective to use a high quality oil and change it every 3 to 5 thousand miles than to use synthetic oil. What synthetic oil does offer is some sort of comfort level for the people who choose to use it, but for the everyday drivers out there, there is no need for that extra protection, unless you live in a area where it goes below zero alot of the times.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys,
I have a question about FIRST oil change.
The service book tells - 5000 miles.
It is too much from my point of view.
What do you think?
Val

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
NEVER wait that long. I changed mine at 1000 miles. During the maching proces there are always leftover metal shaving in th eblock and these could come out asap and the first oil change shoudl remove most of it. I mean you just paid almost $30 k for a car. Why skimp on its maintenance? Its a no brainer.. do it at 1000 miles.. Use GOOD quality oil and filter (Mobil 1, K&N or Pure one, WIX are the every best filters you can buy.)

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you feel the service schedule is to long. You won't do any harm in changing it sooner. Mine will get Rejuiced at the 1,000 mile mark. You can DIY for around $20 (oil and filter) or if not around $30 from Toyota Express Lube. Either way it's cheap insurance. :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
These engines are completely run in (broken in) at the factory. Toyota would not expose itself to risk by advising consumers to wait too long between oil changes.

In my opinion, doing maintenance "by the book" will result in your vehicle getting much better care than those of most owners, and you'll enjoy many years/miles of trouble-free service.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will switch her to GTX or syntec when she hits 3k :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
In Tasmania the Toyota service people use Valvoline Durablend which is a blend of synthetic and mineral oils. The oil and filter change period is every 10000 Km but I change just the oil at the 5000 Km intermediate period myself.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I would throw my two cents in here. I do alot of driving because am a sales manager and travel every single day. I did alot of research on those on which oil is the best to use and I coudln't come up with nothing but preference that most people either preffered Havoline or Castrol. With that being said I personally use Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Mileage so I only have to change it every 15,000 miles.
While we are on this subject what is the deal with on the engine it says 0-20 or 5w-20? What the hell?? That is some thin weight oil. I have always used 10w-30 because I live here in the South where it stays hot all year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cusack you are right. Also, 0-20 is almost impossible to find. Walmart carries it, but the big chain auto parts stores here do not carry this weight. 5-20 is a little easier for me to get my hands on so that is what I used.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been meaning to look in the manual. I assume you can put 5W-30 in it can't you? I can't for the life of me figure out why they want to use such a thin weight oil. Oh wait...yes I can, they are hopong we wear the engine out so we can go buy a newer RAV4 sooner :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts