Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
IMO just follow what it says in the service manual. If you want to swap it out early on the first time no harm is going to come and its a pretty cheap job.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
When should I get my first oil change. I've read that metal shavings can get into oil in first 1,000 miles

Modern engines are engineered and built so that the "metal shavings" bit which existed with engines in the past has been pretty much eliminated. In any event, any "shavings" which could negatively affect a new engine are removed by the oil filter. In the old days oil filters generally were the bypass type, which didn't filter all of the oil being circulated to engine bearings, etc. by the oil pump, but modern filters are full-flow - all of the oil being circulated by the oil pump has to flow through the filter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did my own oil change at 3,000 miles. The oil looked great and I took a good looked at the filter and I saw nothing in it. If I had to do it all over again, I would just wait until 10k. But since I am old school, it did make me fell better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts