Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I picked up a one-owner, totally stock 2006 with 82k miles last night. I have a couple questions that'll show my total newbie status...
- The Rav is a base model, e.g. 16" steel wheels with wheel covers, black door handles, no sunroof, no roof rack, etc. But, it's got very nice leather interior. Am I correct in assuming this was a dealer add-on and did not come from the factory like this?
- The HVAC system was unable to defog the windshield last night. Granted, it was 90 degrees and about 90% humidity... and the windshield is dirty. But it fogged on the inside and out. I had the fan on high, the AC on and the dial set to defrost/fog, Recirculate was OFF. Did I do this wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Welcome! Can't answer the question about your RAV's interior. The A/C should be able to defog the interior windshield, even at 90 degrees, but asking it to defog the exterior windshield is a bit much - better to use the wipers. Was the A/C blowing cold air? When first starting the A/C in hot weather it will cool more quickly by using recirc, but for defogging it generally will work better if after a few minutes it is switched to allow in outside air. If the system does not blow cold air, it is possible that coolant may have leaked out of the system and need to be replaced. One can measure how cold the blown air is by inserting a thermometer into one of the ducts, and that air obviously should be noticeably cooler than the ambient air in the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.
Yeah, the AC blows cold, and we had the wipers going to clean up the exterior condensation. I may be jumping the gun on posting the question... I have a feeling it's because the inside of the window is very (!) dirty. As it happens, the windshield is split - and the guy's coming tomorrow to replace it... hence the reluctance to clean it. After the new glass is in - and thoroughly cleaned, I'll see how the defog goes.

Side note, the Rav is all stripped down - spare off, mats and interior/storage panels out... doing a thorough cleaning. It's amazing how dirty a one-owner (never detailed for sale) 10-year-old car can get. Then it's off to the detailer for paint "restoration" and coating. It's going to look showroom when it's all done. Very cool little car!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hey guys. I picked up a one-owner, totally stock 2006 with 82k miles last night. I have a couple questions that'll show my total newbie status...
- The Rav is a base model, e.g. 16" steel wheels with wheel covers, black door handles, no sunroof, no roof rack, etc. But, it's got very nice leather interior. Am I correct in assuming this was a dealer add-on and did not come from the factory like this?
- The HVAC system was unable to defog the windshield last night. Granted, it was 90 degrees and about 90% humidity... and the windshield is dirty. But it fogged on the inside and out. I had the fan on high, the AC on and the dial set to defrost/fog, Recirculate was OFF. Did I do this wrong?

Thanks!
Yes, you have an aftermarket interior in your RAV.
Sounds like your AC was set correctly to defog. Is it producing cold air otherwise? Water dripping under front of car with AC running?
In extremely hot/humid weather, I've seen my windows develop "frost" right where the AC vents are blowing cold air on the glass. Raising the temp a bit, with the AC still on of course, cures it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sounds more like a very dirty windshield.....and if it is actually fogging don't use the ac to try and clear it up.......using the ac makes the windshield cold.....when it gets cold moisture in the air will collect on it.....a very dirty windshield will look foggy even tho it is not.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.