Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had DIYed oil change first time.
it was pretty easy. my car is 2010 V6.
after so many years sent the car to dealer to change oil, i think it is time for myself to do it because the dealers are pushing too hard for this and that.
and I found problems:
1. there is no the gasket for the oil drain plug. I was not prepared for this. i am not sure if there should be one or not. please help me with this.
2. the filter cap plug cannot loose.

please advice if i should buy a new drain plug and manage to loose the filter cap plug. your help will be appreciated.

BTW: i read this: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ew-v6-oil-change-instructions-w-pictures.html
and this: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...l-change-canister-oil-drain-plug-problem.html
thanks.

and thanks to the respondents to my post: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/200258-help-locate-rav4-2010-v6-oil-drain-plug.html

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Oil changes are, to me, after fifty years of doing them myself just plain donkey work. The dealer does mine.
On the other hand, I am famous at the dealer. This Friday I get my third oil change on my 2011 RAV4,
with 5,177 miles. Hey, I have four vehicles and keep the RAV4 unused like money in the bank.

Lots of smileys inserted here.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I had DIYed oil change first time.
it was pretty easy. my car is 2010 V6.
after so many years sent the car to dealer to change oil, i think it is time for myself to do it because the dealers are pushing too hard for this and that.
and I found problems:
1. there is no the gasket for the oil drain plug. I was not prepared for this. i am not sure if there should be one or not. please help me with this.
2. the filter cap plug cannot loose.
1. Get a new oil drain plug gasket at dealer parts dept. If you already changed the oil, keep an eye on that area--you will know if it drips a little, then it really needs the gasket. Also, the old one might be stuck on the oil pan, or it might be hiding on the bolt itself, so next time scrape around to see. Either way, replace it at your next DIY change. The gaskets are good for multiple changes, but you really should have one.

2. This pic by RAV4system looks like a good way to brace the filter cap housing while loosening the cap plug:

Many shops skip removing the filter cap drain plug entirely. They just remove the whole cap assembly and leave the drain plug in place, a common short cut.

I usually swap mine out because it's easy to do once it has been properly tightened-to just 12 N-m, and is included in the OEM replacement filter. Dealer shops sometimes screw up even the most mundane things. They might have over-tightened yours a smidge just to make sure no leaky.

Welcome to the world of DIY RAV4. It's a fun vehicle to work on if you have the time, space, tools and inclination.

Reactions: jayden

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is a good trick to loose the filter cap plug. really smart. will try it next time.

i keep eyes on if there is oil leaks, so far so good.

thank you
and thank the forum, really helpful and so many kind people.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I usually skip draining from the housing plug; although I just changed the oil last week and I made more of a mess than usual. Think I might start draining the housing.

But yes it is a very easy oil change. I just bought a 4Runner and it won't be nearly so easy.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Oil changes are, to me, after fifty years of doing them myself just plain donkey work. The dealer does mine.
On the other hand, I am famous at the dealer. This Friday I get my third oil change on my 2011 RAV4,with 5,177 miles.

I used to change my own oil as well, but after crawling under vehicles for about as many years as you, I have mine done by the dealer as well. But you win the low mileage sweepstakes - my dealer marveled at my last visit this year that my '11 RAV had only 9.543 miles on it. I have more miles on my motorcycle than that!:wink

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Get a new oil drain plug gasket at dealer parts dept. If you already changed the oil, keep an eye on that area--you will know if it drips a little, then it really needs the gasket. Also, the old one might be stuck on the oil pan, or it might be hiding on the bolt itself, so next time scrape around to see. Either way, replace it at your next DIY change. The gaskets are good for multiple changes, but you really should have one.

2. This pic by RAV4system looks like a good way to brace the filter cap housing while loosening the cap plug:

Many shops skip removing the filter cap drain plug entirely. They just remove the whole cap assembly and leave the drain plug in place, a common short cut.

I usually swap mine out because it's easy to do once it has been properly tightened-to just 12 N-m, and is included in the OEM replacement filter. Dealer shops sometimes screw up even the most mundane things. They might have over-tightened yours a smidge just to make sure no leaky.

Welcome to the world of DIY RAV4. It's a fun vehicle to work on if you have the time, space, tools and inclination.
I used this trick and was successful to loose the cap. then I followed the instruction in my post to tight the screws exactly following the torque numbers. BUT next time I still have the difficulty to loose the cap. I had to use this trick again.

this time, I did oil change the first thing in the morning, I mean i didn't start the car at all. Amazingly I can loose the cap.

I guess it should be when it is cold to loose the cap.

one more thing I noticed is the washer for the oil plug (14mm one) is stuck to the wall. I can feel it there. I don't know if I should take it off. I didn't take it off at all three times in a row.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts