Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first V6 oil change today, it is definitely more trouble changing the filter than a regular style filter. The "cap type" oil filter wrench that is required had a very sloppy fit on the filter housing, I had to hold it just right or it would slip around. In a previous post someone said you could get under the vehicle without ramps, well I could not, at least while laying on my creeper, and did need ramps. I would also recomend a torque wrench as indicated in the instructions, that filter housing does not tighten against a gasket as in traditional filters, when it stops it is stopped, metal to metal,no extra give, luckily I have access to a set of torque wrenches.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hmmm im about to do my first oil change. any DIY pics? where did you get the filter wrench?

edit:
n/m i found the other post. damn seems like its gonna be a cartridge filter. why did my dealer sell me an std oil filter???

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
BarnyFife wrote:
I did my first V6 oil change today, it is definitely more trouble changing the filter than a regular style filter. The "cap type" oil filter wrench that is required had a very sloppy fit on the filter housing, I had to hold it just right or it would slip around. In a previous post someone said you could get under the vehicle without ramps, well I could not, at least while laying on my creeper, and did need ramps.
I did mine a few weeks ago, and I thought it was easier than anticipated. I wouldn't bother using a creeper, cuts your clearance, drain plug (14MM) and filter cartridge are right up front - just crawl under head & shoulders and you're right there. Cartridge plug came out easy, so did the body with a 65-67MM cap wrench, went back in easy. Just make sure you replace the O-rings, and voila, your home!! :wink:

OC

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the filter housing and filter element With a 65mM/67mM cap-style oil filter wrench and the 3/8” socket wrench and extension to remove the housing.

R

·
0 Posts
Just did my first oil change on my v6 Rav, after fudging with the oil filter cap wrench kept slipping; dunno if its the right size 65- :wall 67mm? Anyways ended up loosening it by tapping it with a screwdriver and hammer. Hopefully next time it would unsrcrew easily with the 65-67mm filter wrench cap. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem unscrewing the oil filter housing? :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did mine monday 7/22/06 6200mi. Didnt have problem with the filter element, but did have on the drain plug. Its so tight. any tips?

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
Get this filter wrench from Napa, or put a plastic bag tween the wrench opening and the filter housing, then press the wrench on to the housing, the bag will "shim" the wrench for a better fit and hopefully won't slip. The Napa wrench fits perfect, you won't need any plastic!! Duno about the drain plug, didn't have a problem with it, the same trick might work for it tho.

Tim

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=SER&PartNumber=3253&Description=Oil+Filter+Wrench

·
Registered
132 Posts
At what mileage are you guys doing that first oil change and at what regular interval after that.

I remember reading long ago that the first oil change should be done at 1,000 miles, but that may be old school. I believe Toyota recommends first at 5,000 miles and regularly scheduled at every 5,000 after that.

What's the scoop. Thanks.

And slightly off topic, how many miles for breakin, before I can start manhandling it.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
do a search,. This has been beat to a pulp many times.. lol

bubbalynch said:
At what mileage are you guys doing that first oil change and at what regular interval after that.

I remember reading long ago that the first oil change should be done at 1,000 miles, but that may be old school. I believe Toyota recommends first at 5,000 miles and regularly scheduled at every 5,000 after that.

What's the scoop. Thanks.

And slightly off topic, how many miles for breakin, before I can start manhandling it.

D

·
0 Posts
Just did the first change on ours last week and I thought it was pretty easy. The oil filter is VERY easy to get to compared to some cars that have the filter mounted on the back side of the engine underneath the intake manifold...ie Honda Accord 4 cyl, Mazda Protege(Have owned both). The only way to get to those is to jack up the front of the car and put it on jackstands.... and crawl all the way underneath. Talk about a PITA. :roll:

Anyway.......

Did anyone else notice how tricky it can be to pour the new oil in the engine?? The hole in the valve cover is larger than any I have ever seen, so even a large sized funnel fits in the hole very loosly. And on top of that there is some sort of curved metal baffle(or something) that is right at the bottom of the hole...so the funnel will only go down in the hole about 3/4" or so. And since that big plastic cover thing is on top of the engine, if you spill oil putting it in it's going to run down under that cover and you won't be able to wipe it up without removing it. So you don't dare try pouring in the oil without a funnel. I had my wife hold the funnel whil I poured the oil in.

I think a good solution would be to find something( a big jug/bottle or something) that has an opening and threads about the same size as this "filll hole". If it was close enough a fit, you could make a funnel out of it by cutting the bottom off and screwing into the fill hole. If you have any better ideas please share. :)

C

·
0 Posts
Plastic Engine Cover

Maybe you already know this... but the plastic cover on the top of the engine removes very easily... just grab and pull... three plug type fasteners is all that holds it there.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
dragracer7383 said:
Just did the first change on ours last week and I thought it was pretty easy. The oil filter is VERY easy to get to compared to some cars that have the filter mounted on the back side of the engine underneath the intake manifold...ie Honda Accord 4 cyl, Mazda Protege(Have owned both).
I think a good solution would be to find something( a big jug/bottle or something) that has an opening and threads about the same size as this "filll hole". If it was close enough a fit, you could make a funnel out of it by cutting the bottom off and screwing into the fill hole. If you have any better ideas please share. :)
Agree on how easy it is to change the oil. I traded in a 02 CRV and the oil filter was in the back and oil dripped all over the place when you changed it.

As it relates to the making a funnel....
I just cut the bottom out of a empty oil bottle and use it as a funnel.
I stick the cap back on my home made funnel when I am done filling the engine and stick some paper towels in the container to keep it clean until the next oil change.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had no problems changing mine. Changed it the first time around 2500. The cartridge is a little more trouble but as summerwind pointed out, it's not as messy thanks to the drain plug. Invest in a funnel for pouring your oil. Haven't seen a car yet that had a wide opening for pouring straight from the bottles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I changed mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I took the time to check out the old filter and saw a lot of little pieces of metal in the flutes of the filter. It looked like glitter and a few pieces were the size of a pinhead. I am sure this is normal and I guess it is what I would expect from a brand new engine. I will look after the next oil change and would expect to see much less metal.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Thi is EXACTLY why I tell everyone to do the first oil change at 1000 miles. Every engine does it..

sooperedd said:
I changed mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I took the time to check out the old filter and saw a lot of little pieces of metal in the flutes of the filter. It looked like glitter and a few pieces were the size of a pinhead. I am sure this is normal and I guess it is what I would expect from a brand new engine. I will look after the next oil change and would expect to see much less metal.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Okay....this is the weekend for me to change mine. After reading the instructions up in the MODS/MAINTENANCE section the only question I have that hasn't been addressed......when I remove the bolt/plug holding the filter canister, then force the plastic supplied plug up there..........is it a race to get it in? Is their oil gushing out? or is their some sort of one way valve that gets penetrated by inserting the plastic plug? :?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
RAYDAHS said:
when I remove the bolt/plug holding the filter canister, then force the plastic supplied plug up there..........is it a race to get it in? Is their oil gushing out? or is their some sort of one way valve that gets penetrated by inserting the plastic plug? :?
After you remove the canister plug, oil will not flow out until you insert the adapter with the 5/8" hose attached to it - have your drain pan under the hose when you insert it.......

OC

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks OC! My local NAPA store didn't have the wrench in stock, however they ordered it and will be in tomorrow a.m. bright and early! Thanks guys for all the helpful posts....this should be a slam dunk 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts