Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that this observation can be verified or explained in some reasonable way. I have started to look at the undercarriage of the Rav4 and I have found 3 disturbing things so far.

1) I have noticed bolts that protrude down more than 1 inch from the bottom of the frame. Why would Toyota want to spend more for a longer bolt that could be a potential hazard? Nothing good can come from one of these bolts catching on a road hazard.

2) I have noticed that their are more exposed hoses in the undercarriage than I have ever seen in any vehicle. I think any structured wiring or hoses should remain within protected space.

3) I have verified that some of the shielding that should be in place under the Rav was left out. This was clearly covered in a prior forum. Their is a plastic box under the drivers door which can be dislodged under normal driving conditions. Toyota has the shield but this was omitted in the U.S. version.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic. I would have expected a better finish to the undercarriage on the Rav. You may want to take a look for yourself!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I agree that some of it looks pretty flimsy and poorly protected.

If they need a shield in Austalia, they need it in Montana or upstate NY or the Bronx I would say.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I saw the bolts, way too long.
Not much rustproofing either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was kind of surprised as well. There does seem to be a few things that should be covered. I would have also expected to see more PVC spray underneath. I remember when i order my vehicle, the dealer wanted to sell me all the rust proof stuff (electronic corrosion module, final coat sealant, rust inhibitor, and sound deadner and underbody protector).

I thought i would wait because i figured there would be a lot of PVC or a coating underneath. That sound deadner and underbody coating might be a good idea.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the bolt threads just extending past the nuts and easily cut off?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the bolts are extending past the nuts and could be cut off. I was thinking of going under the vehicle with the angle grinder and metal cutting blade and chopping the extended bolts. I stopped short when I figured my wife would see me and declare me insane for taking a cutter to our brand new 30K vehicle.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife already knows I am a "work in progress", so will probably do it when she is gone for a few hours or so. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good bet. I was thinking of taking the removed part of the bolt to the hardware store and finding a stainless steel acorn nut. This would give a nicer finish to undercarriage

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point, but you might have to chase the threads a bit to get the nut on after cutting.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stopped by a dealership today to take a quick look underneath (still waiting for my RAV to arrive), but I didn't see the long bolts you mentioned. Granted, I didn't have too much time because the "signifcant other" had one too many cups of coffee this morning, so only short excursions are tolerated :wink: .

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cranberry said:
I was kind of surprised as well. There does seem to be a few things that should be covered. I would have also expected to see more PVC spray underneath. I remember when i order my vehicle, the dealer wanted to sell me all the rust proof stuff (electronic corrosion module, final coat sealant, rust inhibitor, and sound deadner and underbody protector).

I thought i would wait because i figured there would be a lot of PVC or a coating underneath. That sound deadner and underbody coating might be a good idea.
reason you dont see a lot of rust proofing is because a lot of materials are rust proof... Including those bolts.

If you check cheaper vehicles, they usually have loads of rust proofing, mostly because stainless steel is not used.

Yes, there are few bolts that are longer but at the same time I have no issues with it - I would rather hit those bolts than whatever is above them, which is probably exact reason they are that long.

As to the hoses, thats actually pretty normal, they are not hanging out, they are tucked in but of course still out... As in every other car, including Land Cruisers.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
spwolfx said:
cranberry said:

If you check cheaper vehicles, they usually have loads of rust proofing, mostly because stainless steel is not used.
I see what you're saying but I don't think stainless steel is used in RAV4 or any other modern car. As a matter of fact, the only serial production car that I'm aware of using SS is Delorean.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
friendly_jacek said:
spwolfx said:
cranberry said:

I see what you're saying but I don't think stainless steel is used in RAV4 or any other modern car. As a matter of fact, the only serial production car that I'm aware of using SS is Delorean.
you are confusing something... stainless steel is used so metal would not rust... Otherwise, everything would be rusted in your engine bay after an year.

If you check Hyundai's engine bay, every screw has a lot of rust proofing material on it, on Toyota's all is clean and it never rusts.

Aditionally, in last few years new, advanced materials are used for undercarriage, so they dont have to be applied as much as old school rust proofing.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
spwolfx said:
friendly_jacek said:
spwolfx said:
cranberry said:

you are confusing something... stainless steel is used so metal would not rust... Otherwise, everything would be rusted in your engine bay after an year.
I think you are confusing something. SS is not used to produce cars. It is too f***ing expensive. What is used, is zink-coated steel to slow corrosion by galvanic action. Modern engine is made of aluminium so it does not corrode in the air. Sometimes it pays to listen during chemistry class.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be careful of what you do there are certain bolts that are on the Matrix we make that are ceramic if you tap them they can shatter. I saw the bolts I could care less I am not going under the car unless I get paid I do it enough at work.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Now don't everyone get their panties in a bunch over this. I have put my Rav4 through the paces more than most people here, and consequently my Rav4 has been subjected to quite a bit of punishment over the past few years. My Rav4 has its fair share of unprotected hoses and plastic parts just like everyone else's. If you look under my Rav4, you will be hard pressed to find anything that resembles rustproofing. I have driven my Rav4 through lots of deep snow and mud, over rocks, logs and concrete curbs, and through pouring rain storms, flooded streets, and just about anything else you can think of. I have gotten my Rav4 to the point where I am surprised that it has reached almost 100K miles and nothing has broken yet. One of the things that has surprised me the most is how well it holds alignment. In 100K miles my Rav4 has been aligned once (at 50K miles for good measure) and even then it was still within alignment specs. My Rav4 is almost six years old, and there is still very little rust to be seen underneath it. The parts that are bare iron (steering, suspension, brakes) are rusted, but that is to be expected. The exhaust system, along with some nuts and bolts, is rusting, but that is also to be expected given the age and climate I live in (with all of the salt on the roads during the winter). But the sheet metal is fine, even in the spots where you might expect rust to occur.

I guess my point is don't let looks fool you, because you could have a vehicle that looks well-built and protected, yet it could still fall apart. I remember reading an online review written a few years ago by someone who owned a 2001 Rav4. Apparently a rock flew up from the road and punctured the A/C condenser inside the bumper. They claimed that this was a defect because there was not adequate protection for the A/C condenser to protect it from rocks. While this may seem like a valid conclusion, in the years since I read this review, and after all of the people who have passed through Rav4World, I have never heard of the same thing happening since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts