Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE Supersonic Red
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason for this posting is about an issue I had with a dedicated GPS. The following description of a recent road trip is intended keep people from derailing the actual intent of the posting and offer their opinion on how no one in their right mind would buy a dedicated GPS when their phone can do that and so much more.

I was on a recent road trip and was using Android Auto and Google Maps for navigation. Things were going acceptably, but Android Auto kept doing something like a reboot every few minutes. That was just an annoyance for the first part of the trip. On the return, it had a hard time connecting or would say that it couldn't download the route. I wasn't asking for anything challenging, it would have been the route between two major cities. I did get it connected again, but the rebooting continued and sometimes the timing was less than ideal. During the trip I decided that I would bring a dedicated GPS along the next time as a backup.

I selected one with a larger display so that I wouldn't have trouble reading the screen. I went with the Garmin Drive Smart 86 which comes with a standard windshield mount. I prefer not having it on the windshield, so I also looked for a good cup holder mount or beanbag style. Come to find that there are no third party vendors for this unit, and when I checked Garmin, all they offer for their 86 is the windshield mount. Searching online I was able to find a reasonably priced solution which was the new sized ball (22 mm) attached to the old sized cup to accept the ball (17 mm) of a standard mount. It's compact and well built, but I was wondering if having the extra ball might increase the likelihood of slipping and having the GPS display keep drooping.

It seemed that there should be a simpler solution to make the original mount ball tight inside the new sized cup. I recently bought an entry level 3D printer and have been playing with creating pretty simple models. This seemed like the perfect opportuning to get creative. What I came up with is what I've been calling the Olive. I created a 3D model that was a 22 mm sphere that has a 17 mm spherical void. To accommodate the support that the ball is mounted on, I also put a 10 mm hole through one side. If I plotted it with black filament, it would have looked a lot like a pitted olive. I knew that I couldn't get the ball through the small opening, and if I made the opening larger, then the olive would basically be on just one side of the ball. Instead, I split the olive right through the middle of the 10 mm hole. What resulted can best be described as a pitted olive that has been cut in half. The two halves fit on each side of the ball and are a little snug because the plotting isn't perfectly smooth. It provides friction though which works well with the nut used to tighten the ball. I was going to plot it again with a couple millimeter gap, but the two halves didn't touch anyway, but were close enough together that the olive popped right into the cup.

With this kind of spacer (adaptor seems to be more descriptive of a device), you can use any of the available 17 mm mounts on the new Garmin GPS that has a 22 mm cup.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,324 Posts
This sounds like a very creative idea! How about adding a few photos of your mount to this thread?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a picture of the 22 mm cup on the new Garmin with a more typical 17 mm ball mount. You can see that there is way too much slop for this combination to work.

Camera accessory Audio equipment Material property Gas Door

Here is the "Olive" that I printed to act as a spacer between the larger cup and the smaller ball. I've also added an image of the 3D model to help visualize the shape.

Wood Coin Automotive tire Money handling Money
Cap Slope Grass Tree Oval

The two olive halves fit over the 17 mm ball snuggly with a little bit of a gap left between them.

Output device Peripheral Microphone Wood Table

The new 22 mm cup fits over the combination just like it would have if the ball had been 22 mm as well. There is a threaded collar that you can tighten to compress the fingers in the cup to adjust the amount of friction that you want.

Home appliance Gas Wood Flooring Technology

For those of you who have a 3D printer (or know someone who does) let me know and I'll send you the STL file so that you can print your own. I'll be glad to print more if anyone in Maryland would like a set of them.

Thank you #JuneBug for putting this post in the appropriate folder. I hope that I was at least close in my guess on where is should be posted. :)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,324 Posts
Thank you for the photos! This is a very clever idea!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm not sure why Garmin changed the size of the ball mount, probably because the added weight was making the display droop over time. What surprised me was the lack of alternative mounts offered by Garmin. Maybe more are in the works, but it seems like they should have at least had some sort of adaptor to be able to use their other mounts in the mean time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts