Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

FIX!!! - TSB for the heat pump buzzing noise upon startup T-SB-0042-22

38255 266
APRIL 24/2022 UPDATE -- see post #160 in this thread, there is finally a TSB in the US to address this -- "Air Conditioning Compressor Humming/Buzzing Noise Upon Vehicle Startup" (T-SB-0042-22) - I will post a link to the TSB right here when I get one.

MAY 27/22 UPDATE -- the actual official USA service bulletin PDF is attached below. Thanks to @generaltso for the PDF.

Saw this on the R4P Canada FB group. There is a TSB to reprogram the HVAC to make the "train horn" noise go away.

This is apparently a copy from Finland so the actual TSB # will be different for USA / Canada / etc.
Font Material property Parallel Number Rectangle

Attachments

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Saw this on the R4P Canada FB group. There is a TSB to reprogram the HVAC to make the "train horn" noise go away.

This is apparently a copy from Finland so the actual TSB # will be different for USA / Canada / etc. View attachment 173195
Finally!! After multiple requests and visits to the dealer, I am happy they found a fix. Was starting to be annoyed at being told the sound was “normal”.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (+weather +JBL audio) Silver Sky Metallic, w/ LP Adventure skid plate
258 Posts
Thanks for the info! It appears my car will be affected based on the VIN cutoff.

I haven’t had this problem present itself yet but it hasn’t been below freezing in Denver yet. I’ll have the update performed at my 10k maintenance in a month or so.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
337 Posts
Is this really that bad? I only had mine since May so no experience yet, but train horn sounds kind of cool.
IT's a pretty startling noise if you don't know what it is. You start the car on a chilly morning and pull out in quiet electric mode then out of nowhere a groaning noise that increases to the point that it vibrates the entire car. Then it stops.

Glad they've got a fix for it. I think it would be startling to anyone new to the vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
1,110 Posts
The daily high temps have has dipped into the fifties and I have heard the train/air-horn a couple of times now. It is loud and I only remember this sound previously in the dead of winter with 0F - 10F temps.

I just press the AC OFF button and it kills the sound and the heat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I must be in the clear, as I have a 6 between the V and the M, plus my build date is 7/21.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
979 Posts
Anyone have a recording of this, so I know what I'm hearing once/if it happens to my RAV4 Prime?

Also, can someone explain the VIN cutoff? It it just the last six digits, or does the cutoff go through the "5MD"?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anyone have a recording of this, so I know what I'm hearing once/if it happens to my RAV4 Prime?

Also, can someone explain the VIN cutoff? It it just the last six digits, or does the cutoff go through the "5MD"?
Build date is on the lower mullion between the front and rear drivers side door.

·
Registered
236 Posts
No, but you will know;-) I can't recall hearing anything quite this loud on a newer vehicle in recent memory. It only lasts 5-10 seconds though. It got below 40 degrees last week and I heard it for the first time when I used the cabin heat for the first time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The implementation date is 5/10/2021 which I believe to be October 5, because the bulletin date is within a week of that. Can anyone confirm Finland / Europe's standard date format?

Regardless just look at the last 5 digits of the VIN 67051 if your number is lower, you are included, it's that simple. Mine is in the 14,000 range, Dec/20 build

* KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL, YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED OF THIS FROM TOYOTA *

This is for information only.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting, so if you fall in the range of needing this TSB done, you need to tell your Toyota service dept of it to get it updated? Being in the US it sounds like they possibly will not know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
856 Posts
Interesting, so if you fall in the range of needing this TSB done, you need to tell your Toyota service dept of it to get it updated? Being in the US it sounds like they possibly will not know what I am talking about.
Yes, but you'll need to wait until a TSB is issued in the US.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The NHTSA has not posted the TSB yet, check back at this link to see when it's out and publicly available -- 2021 TOYOTA RAV4 PRIME SUV AWD | NHTSA - the most recent one is from July. I believe Toyota will have the TSB internal to their system well before it shows up on the NHTSA website, however.

I used that TSB source to find a TSB for my infotainment screen turning black and "locking up". I gave the TSB # to my dealer who did a software update. I also printed a copy of the shaky mirror TSB and they located the Canadian version of it and fixed my shaky mirrors.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts