Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

FIX!!! - TSB for the heat pump buzzing noise upon startup T-SB-0042-22

38257 266
APRIL 24/2022 UPDATE -- see post #160 in this thread, there is finally a TSB in the US to address this -- "Air Conditioning Compressor Humming/Buzzing Noise Upon Vehicle Startup" (T-SB-0042-22) - I will post a link to the TSB right here when I get one.

MAY 27/22 UPDATE -- the actual official USA service bulletin PDF is attached below. Thanks to @generaltso for the PDF.

Saw this on the R4P Canada FB group. There is a TSB to reprogram the HVAC to make the "train horn" noise go away.

This is apparently a copy from Finland so the actual TSB # will be different for USA / Canada / etc.
Font Material property Parallel Number Rectangle

Attachments

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is this findable by a Toyota service person? I can't see it anywhere else online except in this thread, and I know my service department won't do it unless the TSB is in their Toyota system.
My service dept could not find it for an upcoming appointment. It's not clear if they actually looked or just said they did... I will call another dealer or check when I bring in the vehicle.

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,092 Posts
My service dept could not find it for an upcoming appointment. It's not clear if they actually looked or just said they did... I will call another dealer or check when I bring in the vehicle.
Take these to your Service Dept. for proof this exists:

Font Material property Paper Parallel Paper product

Attachments

·
Registered
not use
42 Posts
Is this findable by a Toyota service person? I can't see it anywhere else online except in this thread, and I know my service department won't do it unless the TSB is in their Toyota system.
If the technicians of that dealer service shop don't know where and how to get technical service information (for example, TSBs), then show them this method, which is available to dealers and everyone
HTH,

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
856 Posts
I think you can follow the instructions and links in the T-SB and do it yourself. Have you asked any dealer if they would do it for you?
Not yet. I was at the dealer for 3 hours for the last simple software update, so I’d rather avoid that if possible. The ESC recall needs to be done also, so I may just do both and avoid the trip.

·
Registered
not use
42 Posts
I think you can follow the instructions and links in the T-SB and do it yourself. Have you asked any dealer if they would do it for you?
In order to complete the Vehicle Stability Control System CID Update Procedure yourself, you must have all these "components"
a) Toyota Techstream v.17.00.020
b) Quality cable, such as MongoosePro Toyota 2,
c) File "Technical Instruction for safety Recall 22TA03",
d) Carefully follow the CID Update Procedure that is detailed in T-SB-0107-20 "ECU Flash Reprogramming With Security Signature",
e) new calibration files* F15264284100 or F15264228500.
Surely, all this is easier to entrust to dealer technicians...
Update. Toyota Interim Notice 22TB03
Toyota Remedy Notice

·
Registered
74 Posts
As long as you provide the TSB # they can easily find it in their system.

To avoid confusion, as this thread has gone on some serious tangents, the TSB for the A/C startup noise in cold weather is T-SB-0042-22 and the TSB for the (unrelated) VSC recall is T-SB-0107-20.

Your dealer can perform both for free the next time you bring your Prime in for a maintenance service. They didn't offer to do it for me, but agreed to once I gave them the TSB numbers.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Something improved big time for me and I'm sure it came from people complaining about it. Using Dyn Navigation in map mode when a turn is imminent the map would split into a very zoomed in view of the exact intersection, and the normal view would be reduced in size by 50% to accommodate this. I found it really annoying as the entire map then gets too small and the zoomed in view did not enhance anything. I would manually turn it off each time or often anyway. You can now toggle this off and it stays off :)
That's good to know thanks.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
856 Posts
I think I may just try to do this myself. A Techstream subscription is $65 for 2 days.
I had some time today, so I went ahead and did this. It really isn't very hard if you have some basic computer knowledge and can follow directions. I used a Mongoose OBDII adapter that I already had for other cars, so I'm not sure how well it would work with cheaper cables. I was able to update the software for the A/C train noise and the ESC recall in about 15 minutes. Not sure why these updates take hours at the dealer. I also noticed that there were updates available for the Hybrid Control Module, so I did those too. The subscription gives full access to Techstream and TIS, and all of the documents in TIS seem to able to be saved as pdfs for offline viewing.

In case anyone wants it, here's the real pdf for the train horn noise (T-SB-0042-22):

Attachments

221 - 240 of 267 Posts