Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had some time today, so I went ahead and did this. It really isn't very hard if you have some basic computer knowledge and can follow directions. I used a Mongoose OBDII adapter that I already had for other cars, so I'm not sure how well it would work with cheaper cables. I was able to update the software for the A/C train noise and the ESC recall in about 15 minutes. Not sure why these updates take hours at the dealer. I also noticed that there were updates available for the Hybrid Control Module, so I did those too. The subscription gives full access to Techstream and TIS, and all of the documents in TIS seem to able to be saved as pdfs for offline viewing.

In case anyone wants it, here's the real pdf for the train horn noise (T-SB-0042-22):
Did the hybrid control module updates say what they were for? Or were supposed to fix?

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
856 Posts
Did the hybrid control module updates say what they were for? Or were supposed to fix?
Yeah, it's for T-SB-0050-22, which looks like it just came out last week.

Some 2021 – 2022 model year RAV4 Prime vehicles may exhibit a MIL ON condition with
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P060694 (SAE code P0606) (Control Module Processor
Unexpected Operation) present. The Hybrid Vehicle Control Computer logic has been modified to
reduce the possibility of this condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah, it's for T-SB-0050-22, which looks like it just came out last week.

Some 2021 – 2022 model year RAV4 Prime vehicles may exhibit a MIL ON condition with
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P060694 (SAE code P0606) (Control Module Processor
Unexpected Operation) present. The Hybrid Vehicle Control Computer logic has been modified to
reduce the possibility of this condition.
Ok.

I haven’t gotten any MIL and code. Only “hybrid system unavailable” message that the user manual says is normal. But it hasn’t happened in a while.

As of now my last persistent problem is the key fob being completely unresponsive sometimes after charging. Happened to me again last week.

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,092 Posts
I had some time today, so I went ahead and did this. It really isn't very hard if you have some basic computer knowledge and can follow directions. I used a Mongoose OBDII adapter that I already had for other cars, so I'm not sure how well it would work with cheaper cables. I was able to update the software for the A/C train noise and the ESC recall in about 15 minutes. Not sure why these updates take hours at the dealer. I also noticed that there were updates available for the Hybrid Control Module, so I did those too. The subscription gives full access to Techstream and TIS, and all of the documents in TIS seem to able to be saved as pdfs for offline viewing.

In case anyone wants it, here's the real pdf for the train horn noise (T-SB-0042-22):
Thanx for the "real" T-SB's.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
979 Posts

Thank you for providing the pdf. Question: What did you use to maintain 13.5V during the reflash?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Gave them the TSB number on the phone. Told them when I dropped it off and that it only happens the first time you turn on heat when it is near or below freezing only. Left the actual TSB in the car. "Could not duplicate, monitor and return if problem continues". I mean, they did the VSC recall software update at the same 1 year service appointment, I guess the costs to do another software update at the same time were enough to cause me to make another trip this winter? Or maybe I will go to the other nearby dealer and hope they believe me. Suffice to say that I don't think they will be calling me to ask for 5-stars if I receive a call from Toyota.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
856 Posts
Gave them the TSB number on the phone. Told them when I dropped it off and that it only happens the first time you turn on heat when it is near or below freezing only. Left the actual TSB in the car. "Could not duplicate, monitor and return if problem continues". I mean, they did the VSC recall software update at the same 1 year service appointment, I guess the costs to do another software update at the same time were enough to cause me to make another trip this winter? Or maybe I will go to the other nearby dealer and hope they believe me. Suffice to say that I don't think they will be calling me to ask for 5-stars if I receive a call from Toyota.
That's what I was afraid of. It's really annoying that Toyota put the requirement of reproducing the problem in the TSB instructions. Since the service tech already had a laptop hooked up to do the VSC recall, it literally would have taken him about 3 more minutes to also apply the TSB update.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
45 Posts
Yep, I'm in the same boat. I just brought mine in for 10k service this morning, and the service writer said they can't/won't do it unless they hear it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep, I'm in the same boat. I just brought mine in for 10k service this morning, and the service writer said they can't/won't do it unless they hear it.
That sucks. I went in last week specifically for the VSC recall. When I arrived, I showed the service writer a printout of the A/C Amplifier TSB. I told them it only happens when cold on first start up, but that I have 5 or 6 recordings on my phone of my own Prime doing it. They said no problem and could do it at the same time. I'll only know if it was really fixed this fall, but it is listed on the service sheet as being done. That being said, it may be a placebo effect, but the compressor seems to be quieter on startup, even in warm weather. I'm asssuming the compressor now has a softer startup sequence or something.

dp

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
624 Posts
That sucks. I went in last week specifically for the VSC recall. When I arrived, I showed the service writer a printout of the A/C Amplifier TSB. I told them it only happens when cold on first start up, but I that I have 5 or 6 recordings on my phone of my own Prime doing it. They said no problem and could do it at the same time. I'll only know if it was really fixed this fall, but it is listed on the service sheet as being done. That being said, it may be a placebo effect, but the compressor seems to be quieter on startup, even in warm weather. I'm asssuming the compressor now has a softer startup sequence or something.

dp
Anybody getting pushback, see post #197. Being polite but persistent with the mothership got it done for me.

And I could tell a difference after the service (even in the summer). It takes just a little longer for AC to cool off from a startup after the fix. I don't think it's a placebo. When I got mine back I could tell "something was different."

·
Registered
not use
42 Posts
Alas, those workers literally follow the instructions from TSB T-SB-0042-22 and T-TCI-5516, which say
T-SB-0042-22 said:
Repair Procedure
1. Turn the vehicle ON (Ready ON) and ensure the compressor is on.
Is the short humming/buzzing noise present?
Refer to the link for an example of the humming/buzzing noise. Humming/Buzzing noise example (link)
  • YES - Continue to step 2.
  • NO - This bulletin does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis using the applicable Repair Manual.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
337 Posts
That sucks. I went in last week specifically for the VSC recall. When I arrived, I showed the service writer a printout of the A/C Amplifier TSB. I told them it only happens when cold on first start up, but that I have 5 or 6 recordings on my phone of my own Prime doing it. They said no problem and could do it at the same time. I'll only know if it was really fixed this fall, but it is listed on the service sheet as being done. That being said, it may be a placebo effect, but the compressor seems to be quieter on startup, even in warm weather. I'm asssuming the compressor now has a softer startup sequence or something.

dp
Does the Canadian TSB state that the service Tech has to hear the sound before making the change or is that just the US TSB?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does the Canadian TSB state that the service Tech has to hear the sound before making the change or is that just the US TSB?
Yes.
"Quote" from T-TCI-5516 (Market: Canada)
To be fair, just the usual compressor startup buzzes and hums even in the summer. I'm guessing, many of the service technicians could think that this is what is described without even hearing the Oasis of the Seas Fog horn.

I wish I could hear the example they give in the link in the TSB.

dp

·
Registered
not use
42 Posts
I wish I could hear the example they give in the link in the TSB.

dp
I hav't permission to share everything these videos including the audio.
But I can send it using this form Toyota/Lexus/Scion Remote Online Diagnostics – Remote online diagnostics and consultations
Note. Time for Reprogram Air Conditioning Amplifier =0.4h.
And despite the fact that this repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty, maybe should/need just pay them for that time?

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
979 Posts
Well, a dealership had my car all day to take care of the VSC recall and DCM update. I requested the TSB for the compressor, explaining that it's not replicable in the summer time. The service salesman seemed to indicate that he agreed, saying they'll absolutely take care of it (whatever that means). He made note in the service request of what I was asking for and what the symptoms were, and I begrudgingly handed over my key fob.

In the checkout paperwork, the VSC recall was applied, the DCM recall was applied… and no mention of this TSB.

Ugh.

Oh, and just to annoy me, my car is now covered in hard water spots from their complimentary car wash. The damn car has polka dots.

241 - 260 of 267 Posts