Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You Pilot owners have probably figured out that the darn thing is rusting. Soon the cotton may be bleeding out like mine did. Screws already fell off from the vibrations of the car and the whole thing started slipping off the car! If the whole thing looks filthy, you may consider this:

Simply remove the rusted layer of cheap metal. The inside of my exhaust tip rusted so much that i was able to stick a pair of pliers in there and bend the stupid thing enough times and yank the whole thing out. Basically I'm left with the stainless steel outside shell with nothing inside. I wonder how it'll look once remounted on the car. I'll post pics on the cardomain site once I get this thing screwed back on. What a cheapo way to save $18 from having to buy a new tip huh? Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Zoomie, I would suggest that when your PILOT exhaust tip eventually falls apart; to invest in a higher quality exhaust tip. I've learned the hard way too of putting on a cheap exhaust tip; they look good when new, but is scary after heat and time attack it. :evil:

A higher quality tip (i.e. Borla) which is made from full stainless steel should be welded on. You will have no problems after that. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DEREK: hehehe, yeah i was trying to figure a way to save my $18 by yanking all that gunk out. I think i'm just gunna use 3 screws for now in case I end up getting a new exhaust system later. Was yours made for a rav4? I'm looking at exhaust systems for miatas, neons, and scions, and crx's.....all which have mufflers perpendicular to the length of the car. Anyway, i'll be heading to the hardware store to pick up some bolts and I should have photos up shortly after. Next week probably. Is there a way I can convert a 2 7/8" pipe into a smaller sized hole? There's so many more exhaust tips available for smaller 2 1/2" pipes.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
zoomie said:
DEREK: hehehe, yeah i was trying to figure a way to save my $18 by yanking all that gunk out. I think i'm just gunna use 3 screws for now in case I end up getting a new exhaust system later. Was yours made for a RAV4? I'm looking at exhaust systems for miatas, neons, and scions, and crx's.....all which have mufflers perpendicular to the length of the car. Anyway, i'll be heading to the hardware store to pick up some bolts and I should have photos up shortly after. Next week probably. Is there a way I can convert a 2 7/8" pipe into a smaller sized hole? There's so many more exhaust tips available for smaller 2 1/2" pipes.
The cheap exhaust tip that I got was a generic stainless steel model, but like yours had a steel inner lining that rusted out. :lol: I had mines welded on so there was no fear of it coming off.

Why are you looking for exhaust systems that are designed for other cars? Just curious. Do they sell aftermarket exhaust systems for the 4.2 RAVs?

For what you are describing, there is reducer pipes. Although I don't know if it is a good idea to reduce the exhaust pipe near the tail end of the muffler. I am not an exhaust expert, but I believe the general idea is to get the exhaust flowing as freely as possible; without it being choked up by a reducer pipe. :)

Good luck on finding a cool exhaust tip, you are right, I just tried doing a search on tips and found that most of them are sized for 2 1/2" inlet. :?

P

·
0 Posts
Rust

Mine's rusting also, and it's only a few months old. I've tried painting the inside with 1200° flat black paint a couple of times, but the rust seems to be coming out of the batting. Please post what it looks with the batting removed. Was this hard to do?

The Valor models are very nice, but require the tail pipe to be cut for proper installation. I don't want to do that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Here's the best way to put an exhaust tip on the Rav4. Take off the crappy Pilot one and throw it away. Then go down to your local hardware store and get some steel wool and can of the Rust-Oleum chrome spray paint. Take the steel wool and clean the last six inches of the tailpipe, and then spray it with a few coats of the chrome paint. There, you're done.

P

·
0 Posts
Makes Sense

That makes the most sense to me. Has anyone done it? I'd like to see a photo.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DEREK:
Nope, there's no aftermarket exhaust systems designed specifically for the rav4 4.2 except a tanabe super hyper medalion which costs over $400 alone. I'm thinking I'll just get an aftermarket one somewhere and have the piping custom done by some muffler shop. Sounds good?

PARKWAYCRUISER:
I dont' have a photo, but the the pipe looks a lot cleaner with the batting removed. Just imagine a clean pipe. It's as clean now on the inside as it is on the outside. To remove the insides easily, you'll have to wait until it's rusted out and the freakin' cotton starts oozing out. I can't believe how horrible the construction is. Quality is just crazy bad.

JEFF:
So there IS such thing as chrome paint. Hmmm, I'm thinking that could come into use sometime for something....not quite sure what.

P

·
0 Posts
Heat

The tail pipe gets pretty hot, are you sure the chrome paint will stand up to the high exhaust temperatures?

I can't believe this tail pipe is such a piece of crap. It started rusting about 2 days after I put it on. I've been trying to use Rust Treatment on it, but if the insides are like steel wool, it will just keep rusting forever.

I wonder if contacting the manufacture is worth seeing if they have changed the design. They need to use a stainless steel wool inside.

I guess I'll wait until it gets flakey and can be removed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slayer! Thanks, except it live a bit far away from monterey. I'm in the bay area. Know of any shops around here?

parkwaycruiser: im' a really nice guy. but it would take a really really nice guy to care enough to let the manufacturers know and proceed trying to get them to change it. my perspective is if there's a crappy product, don't use it. that's it. Thanks for the warning about the heat though. you're right, that thing definitely gets hot! we'll see if it turns black. hehe.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not Monterey the city, Monterey Road off downtown San Jose. :wink: :wink: Not sure how much a custom job would be but I'd estimate it to be around $200-300 at the very least if you do a full cat-back. If you want just a tip welded on, that would be around $50-100, I think. You'd have to call them up. Guys are pretty cool down there and they finish the work while you wait if there aren't any other prebooked appts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nope, there's no aftermarket exhaust systems designed specifically for the RAV4 4.2 ..........

Actauly, Remus Racing makes an exhaust system specificaly for the rav4, both for gas and diesel...... I'm installing the system this weekend. pics will be up monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There was one intake system for the old 2001-2003 Rav 4.2 from Tanabe from their Hyper Medallion line. Long discontinued but I managed to find one dealer with old stock in LA for my Rav.

Old image of mine. Which reminds me that I need to get better close ups of the actual muffler down there. I hate going out to take pictures with neighbor's out looking at you like you're some kinda weirdo. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slayer: You thought YOU looked like a weirdo? How about today when I looked up from crouching behind my car putting new screws to mount the exhaust tip and came faced with the meter maid man person. He was nice enough to let me refeed the meter with no ticket.

I've decided to just say screw it to the darn pilot exhaust tip. It's a piece of junk. I lost the brackets that came with it when the car started vibrating and shook them off. I was using bolts alone and it doesn't hold. I'm just gunna wait to reward myself with a new exhaust system when time comes. For now i'ts the old ugly rusting stock pipe. It's brown now by the way....ever since the using the pilot.

Slayer, you still haven't told us the performance gains if any with the new exhaust. Sounds? The grey matches your car. Have you tried taking out the silencer thingy?

·
Registered
396 Posts
zoomie said:
Slayer, you still haven't told us the performance gains if any with the new exhaust. Sounds? The grey matches your car. Have you tried taking out the silencer thingy?
If there were any performance gains, I've become too accustomed to it by now to notice. It's been awhile since I had that thing put on and I still haven't run it without the silencer. It really was my intention though to buy it more for performance than looks since it was a Tanabe bolt on. I really wanted to dyno the Rav with each bolt on accessory, but you know how plans go to hell in real life. Just bought myself a brand new house down in the Central Valley so all my extra funds went into the down payment and now furnishing of my new home. You can think of it as the ultimate accessory for my Rav since it has a nice new garage to sit in . :) Anyways, I still have that Secret Weapon intake to put on and, lord knows, when I'll get the chance to install that TRD sport thermostat I ordered from Brandsport. And I still want to buy that Camcon II a/f controller from Power Enterprises!!! :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts