Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , My name is Stephen,
I really have limited (very) mechanical skills and want to do some basic work and maintain my 1999 Rav4 ( 4 cylinder automatic) She has only 111000 miles on her and runs beautifully , I was going to sell her and get something newer but why I love this vehicle !.

I need some help with my mechanical skills and understanding what to do. My usual way is to try to fix something, break it and replace the part until I do it right. This strategy is not so simple with this old beauty because of obtaining parts. My first replacement is the interior rear-view mirror. I have the replacement part and cannot remove the small plastic piece that covers up the screw holes that will allow me to replace the mirror . Any suggestions?

·
Registered
199 Posts
you just have to take it off with a screwdriver, not hard... what I always do it wrap some insulation tape on the screwdriver this way you dont scratch the plastic so much, in case you do not have those plastic tools to work on plastic panels and stuff

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much , It did need some serious influencing but the plastic cover finally gave way.
I just got back from 17 wonderful days touring New Zealand ( Wellington ,Tapau, Nelson, Aukland Millford stratghts, Queenstown. I will surely return for more ..

Got any idea on how to change out the whole antennae assembly... Thanks again !

·
Registered
199 Posts
No, that I never tried. Actually, I was thinking in taking that thing off because I can't put it down so when I put the car in the garage get stuck on the door, I have to litterally open my window and hold the antenna down -.-

Can you retract your antenna?

Cool. When you come back to NZ you spend more time on the south island, it's just amazing.
This is a pic from last weekend. Lord of the rings fans might recognize that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
I keep my antenna retracted most of the time.
Being out of the way makes it easier for snow removal.

In my travels I often take pictures out the moonroof and when I forget to lower the antenna, it can get in the photo.
Like this one.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts