Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get Entune to play the files as I think it should, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.

I'd like Entune to play the files in one folder and then automatically go to the next folder and play the files there. So far no success.

Here's a little history: I first had the files (all MP3) loaded into one folder per album and one file per song. After playing the last file, Entune would then play the first file in that folder. Not what I want.

Then I created one file for each album and put them on the drive, no folders. Entune would play the file I had selected, but not go to the next file.

I then put the album files into a folder, hoping that this would solve the issue, no luck.

I also created files containing an album identifier in the files' names, for example HDN 01 A Hard Day's Night. I put all of these into a folder, but the results were difficult to get through. The Toyota rep told me to remove the space in column 4 and this should do what I want. I'll be testing this tomorrow.

The rep suggested I create one file containing all the music I want to hear. Not exactly what I want to do.

Does anyone have any insight how I can get Entune to switch folders when its played the last song in the current folder?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can't get it to auto switch folders either. Easy enough to do manually with the "Browse" 'button'. I think the system looks at the mp3 metadata and sorts/plays based on what you select.

Might be worth a try to change the mp3 metadata to have album A and album B have the same album name, but till reside in different folders. Then it might play both. It's a kludge, but might work. I think there are four, maybe five, metadata fields available for song selection.

p.s. Unrelated topic. The other day, I hooked up a 2TB external disc drive, and it played files off it fine. Took forever to read all the files on the disc, so not a viable or practical solution. It will also play SD cards with a USB adapter. I have a whole bunch of low-capacity SD cards and can put one or two albums on each card.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update:

I added a folder (Rock2) to the drive, containing 12 MP3 files, one for each song (2 different albums). There already was another folder (Rock) that had about 20 MP3 files, one for each album.

After Entune finished reading the drive, I could not browse to the Rock2 folder; Entune would not show it, but it did show the Rock folder.

I've reloaded the drive with two folders (Rock1 and Rock2), each containing MP3 files for each song within the folder (no complete album MP3s). Each file's name has a code for the album plus the song's position (i.e., HDN01, ABR03, etc.)

I haven't exceeded, nor even come close to, the file/folder limits on Entune.

I'll be testing this later to see if it works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the base 2013 LE. The music/radio player - is it what you are calling Entune? I'm currently using a USB 3.0 32Gb flash drive with about 3200 songs in folders by album and a couple mixes. Only issues are 1) Sometimes a song will run about 10-15 seconds and then it will move to the next song, when I then check that song on the flash drive plugged into my Windows 10 laptop, it works fine. and 2) I have not had any luck getting the album art to show on the screen. When grandson plugged his iPhone in, instead of the flash drive, his album covers showed. Tonight I copied a folder from my laptop that contains all my album art to the RAV's flash drive. I will see tomorrow if that works. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm calling the radio system Entune. My vehicle's sticker actually calls it Entune Audio Plus, but in my opinion it's missing a lot.

When you play your albums, does your system jump to the next album (folder) when it finishes the songs in the current album? Mine does not, which is what I'm trying to correct.

On the album art, when I ripped my CDs to my computer, using Windows Media Player, it created JPGs with the album cover in each album's folder. In Entune, when I had a folder for each album including the various JPGs, it did show the album art.

This is nice for display purposes, but I do not want to have to manually select an album when an album has finished; I want Entune to go to the next album, which does not seem possible. Even my incredibly cheap MP3 player can do this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, my "Entune" goes right on to the next folder when playing from the USB port, unless I have selected "random" in which case it stays in the folder and keeps playing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am using a USB 3 32GB flash drive. This one
I have around 7500 songs in it. It takes a couple of minutes after the car is started to read the flash drive and display the list of songs. But after that, I have never had any problem playing (serially or random) or going to other folder. And the album arts work as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
jumb0,
How do you have the album art stored on your flash drive? Having mine as .jpg files in a folder called Album Art did nothing. This is the drive I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Transfer-Speeds-s-SDCZ48-032G-UAM46/dp/B00KYK2AKO/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31YFd-LQ8rL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BJJHGQCA74PPHCZVSCK
Thanks,
Tom

Update - I downloaded MP3TAG program as mentioned in another thread made sure folder and song files were tagged with album art. Nothing!! I've been trying to get this artwork to show up for over a year now and still have gotten no clear instructions on what I have to do. Help!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update again:

I tested my drive today and it didn't do what I had expected. I have two folders, each containing MP3 files, one file per song.

When I press the Browse button, each individual album shows up for selection, not the folder where the current file resides.

I'm using a Lexar 16GB 2.0 drive.

I'm going to follow up with Toyota tomorrow and see if they can get this to work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@tomiswho
I use iTunes to manage my music. The album arts are automatically downloaded by itunes if it recognizes the song, if not, I can manually add the album art via itunes to the song meta tags. Then I just copy and paste the itunes song folder to my flashdrive. I do not do anything special.
The flash drive you mentioned should work fine as well.

If you want, I can send you one of my songs with the album artwork, you can copy and paste that song to your flash drive, and play on your vehicle.
If the album artwork pops up, there is something wrong with your songs, if not, may the time to debug the audio player in the vehicle.
Let me know if you'd like to go that route.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you - Let me try adding my Rav Songs Folder to my iTunes directory (which I seldom use) and then format and recopy to the flash drive. I am not a fan of anything "Apple" I'll post my results here in a couple days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another update:

Last Tuesday (November 10), I took my RAV4 to the dealership and one of the sales managers showed me how to get the display to show 1/50 or 2/50 (file playing/total files), but after restarting the vehicle this feature disappeared.

The dealer service attempted to upgrade the Entune software but couldn't get that to work, so they contacted Toyota to get help. They got back to me a week later and I went in today. They upgraded the software (my only proof is the ticket, I don't know how to see the version in the car), but the saving of my options still does not work.

I called Toyota today and was told that Entune does not have the ability to store my options that I have selected. It seems having the software updated was not worth my time and the dealer's efforts.

To recap how I have the flash drive set up, I have 49 MP3 files (each one a complete album) on the drive, no folders. I want Entune to play file1, file2, file3, etc.

Anyone have an suggestions how to accomplish this?

Does anyone from Toyota look at this board? I strongly suggest they do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've tried as I mentioned in my post of November 9th above, to get album artwork to show up to no avail. I give up. No one has been able to give me any specific information to make this happen. I do have a good understanding of file structures and file types. I have 155 folders with a total of 3396 files. All but one of the folders is an album or compilation and the other is a folder with all the album art work. All the songs are .mp3 files, and all the artwork is all .jpg files. Thinking the specific album art must be in the appropriate folder, I have put some in folders to try. No go.

As far as playing…… my 155 folders are easy to scroll through and they seem to stay in alpha order. Tapping a folders brings up the list of songs in the folder. Tap a song and it begins to play. After the song, it moves on to the next…. (unless I have tapped “random”), as long as I didn’t tap random, when the songs in the current folder are finished, it automatically moves to the next folder.

My “only” problem lies in the fact that “people” say I should be able to see album covers, and I can't. When my grandson plugged in his iPhone (I’ll have Apple things when Steve Jobs delivers them in person, and not before…) his music selections from his phone DID show album covers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom, your problem is unrelated to my problem with Entune, but...

I do not have any jpg files on my flash drive but Entune does show the album artwork when playing the mp3 file. This artwork is embedded in the mp3 file, as is the album and artist name and even the track number.

It probably won't help, but you might want to call Toyota and ask them how to get the artwork to display.

You said your system will move to the next folder after its played the last song in a folder - I wonder why mine won't do that.

If you have random selected and then turn the vehicle off, does the random selection return when you next turn the vehicle on?

·
Registered
90 Posts
wr4, as I remember, if I'm on random, it returns to random on a restart. I have one "superfile" of 50's and 60's music, about 350 songs that I often play on random. As for the artwork being imbedded, when I use the same music files on my Android tablet or phone, the artwork shows. Same when I play it with Windows music player or iTunes on my laptop. Just not in the RAV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom,

I might have been mistaken on the album artwork showing as I currently have the music on my drive (one MP3 file per album). I'm going to reload my drive with the individual folder albums and see if I can get it to progress through the albums as you can do.

I am very unimpressed with the Entune system; it won't do what my very inexpensive MP3 player will do (I know, I can't drive my MP3 player). I supposedly have the Entune Audio Plus; that's what is on the specification sheet.

I used Windows Media Player to rip my CDs and it added four JPG files to the song files in each folder. Have you tried including the album JPGs in each of the album folders, instead of in one folder?

Do you have the same Entune system?

It seems like we have to do trial and error to figure out what will work and won't work with Entune.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you tried including the album JPGs in each of the album folders, instead of in one folder?

Do you have the same Entune system?
Yes, I've tried it with jpgs in the individual album folder also - no go.

Same Entune system? No idea. I bough my 2013 used from Hertz. (Love buying from them, this was my 2nd time) I have the owners manuals etc. but nothing that I've seen any specs on. I have the base model LE with no whistles and bells. The Entune does show me my backup camera and it syncs nicely with my Tracfone for phone calls, but doesn't seem to find the music on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I've tried it with jpgs in the individual album folder also - no go.

Same Entune system? No idea. I bough my 2013 used from Hertz. (Love buying from them, this was my 2nd time) I have the owners manuals etc. but nothing that I've seen any specs on. I have the base model LE with no whistles and bells. The Entune does show me my backup camera and it syncs nicely with my Tracfone for phone calls, but doesn't seem to find the music on it.
Hi-here is what I did. I have a 15 LE with the standard Entune. I had never dealt in the area of MP3s and album art in a car so I had a bit of a learning curve. Some music had the album art and some didn't. I tried to find out why.

I have a program called MP3Tag. I saw that you do too and still haven't had any luck. I know the feeling. I took one of my music folders and did an experiment when, even after copying and pasting the album art from a google image search for the album cover it STILL wouldn't show up in the car.

What I did was put the flash drive in the PC, go into the music folder that holds the particular album music files and get rid of any album art jpgs or any other file other than the music MP3 files in the folder.

Right Click on the MP3 file (or you can just select all the music files in the particular music folder), scroll down and click MP3Tag, once one or all of the mp3 files show up in the MP3tag program, select an individual MP3 song. Observe what, if any, album art exists in the little box in the lower left.

If there's nothing there, fine; if there IS something there, remove cover and save. This should eliminate whatever existing art is embedded in the file. You should still have the music files showing in the program.

Next, go to Google, search for album art through Google images, say, if you want an easy to find one, Led Zep 4. This is where it gets interesting, The RAV album art system does not like to render large jpgs. Try to find a album art sized below 300x300--this will result in a smaller jpg, something say below 25kb. For example, I was trying to get the album art for Pat Metheny Watercolors to show up, just continued to have problems over and over, I mean I could see that it WAS in there in MP3Tag but the RAV just refused to display it. When I saw the size of it, it was like 725kb. I found one that was 300x300 and it turned into around 7kb in size and IT WORKED! The RAV rendered the album art because it was a SMALL FILE!

Anyway, I realize what with 155 albums this would be a ridiculous thing to have to go through individually but you could just try it with a couple of albums and see it it works.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts