Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going from a 2009 to a 2019. Do the 2019s still use a replaceable relay for the flashers or will I need to buy specific LED turn signal bulbs with load resistors?

I bought electronic flasher relays from superbrightleds.com for both of my 2009 and 1998 RAV4s, but they don't give any indication of one for the 2019s.

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
I'm not actually sure but I doubt newer cars have separate flasher relays. That function is probably incorporated in a body control ECM.
When I converted the rear signal lights on my '18 Accord from incandescent which I consider ancient technology to LED I wondered if I'd get hyper-flash considering the front signals are factory LEDs. I did. So rather than check for a relay I wired a 10 ohm power resistor on the back of each taillight fixture. Problem solved. Permanently.

Reactions: KuddlKat

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
Turn signal click volume is adjustable(low med high) in customization with Techstream, so I'd say it's not an old style flasher.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if they just moved the relay to the engine compartment and are generating the audio via speaker so the volume can be adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
I wonder if they just moved the relay to the engine compartment and are generating the audio via speaker so the volume can be adjusted.
Open the hood and listen for a relay?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open the hood and listen for a relay?
Yep. I was going to do that when I swapped out the backup bulbs for LEDs, but it was getting dark.
Ok, I lied. I forgot, and then it got dark. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
Since the backup lights don't flash the car wouldn't care how much current they draw.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the backup lights don't flash the car wouldn't care how much current they draw.
That is accurate. I did not mean to imply that the backup bulbs had anything to do with the flasher relay, just that I was out there doing stuff and forgot.

Checked this morning. No clicking anywhere else in the vehicle except for the turn signal noise behind the instrument cluster. That's disappointing--I really didn't want to have to waste electricity on "load" resistors just to use LEDs in the turn signals. It kinda defeats part of the purpose of using LEDs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm going from a 2009 to a 2019. Do the 2019s still use a replaceable relay for the flashers or will I need to buy specific LED turn signal bulbs with load resistors?

I bought electronic flasher relays from superbrightleds.com for both of my 2009 and 1998 RAV4s, but they don't give any indication of one for the 2019s.
I replaced every bulb in my RAV with LED, as long as you get the Canbus compatible LEDS for the turn signals they will not cause hyper flash.

I got those from amazon, plugged them in and had no hyper flashing at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I got those from amazon, plugged them in and had no hyper flashing at all.
I bought those same ones last year for my 2009 RAV4. I tried them in my 2019 last night and they did the same fast-flashing as my 2009 until I bought the replacement relay.
Are you sure that was the right link?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought those same ones last year for my 2009 RAV4. I tried them in my 2019 last night and they did the same fast-flashing as my 2009 until I bought the replacement relay.
Are you sure that was the right link?
View attachment 144786
Weird yea I tested them with some other Sylvania ones I have and they hyperflashed. I then threw those in and had no hyper flashing. That's kinda weird cuz I didn't do any replacement relays.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh. Well, maybe they changed the design since last year. If all else fails, I'll just have to add the load resistors afterwords. Fingers crossed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts