Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 RAV4 V6 4x4 - Skid Control dash light occasionally blinks when accelerating. There is no actual slip. Believe rear wheel speed sensor may've been compromised during a repair job. Feel I should be able to read the skid control codes but not sure if I can jumper a connection like in older Toyotas or if I have to use an actual code reader. Too many cars over the years and I forget some of the crap over time. Whoa is me... lol

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but in a super rush today. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
When a problem exists with the system (e.g. a wheel speed sensor), then a code will be stored. If you have a look at this thread you will see that whenever a code is stored (in any of the systems) then at least two other warning lights will illuminate and they will stay that way until the codes are deliberately erased.

If I remember correctly the "skidding car" light can indicate two things. If you hear a beeping sound when it illuminates, then that is an indication of the VSC system activating. If the light flashes, without making any sounds, then that is an indication that traction control is working. The system can detect slippage of such small amounts that it doesn't produce tire squeal as you are probably expecting.

In your case, since the other lights are not on, I don't believe you have any defective components. or any stored codes.

Since you didn't mention any accompanying beeps, I believe the indicator is due to wheel spin, and since you only experience the problem when accelerating (especially with your V6), wheel-spin is not to be unexpected.

I expect that you only see the problem under certain road conditions, such as sand on the surface, extremely hot asphalt, etc. Try operating the 4WD lock button before rapid acceleration and see if the problem goes away. Also check your tire pressures since having one tire different that all the others can cause wheel spin.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
When I take off like a bat outta hell I get the same light blinking. I think it's traction control not skid control. This is especially true if turning a corner from a stop while flooring the go pedal or close to flooring it. For me it's a normal light telling me the traction control is doing its job. Try the same maneuvers with it disabled but have both hands on the wheel, it can get interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts