Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 RAV4 Limited, V6 FWD, 133000 miles. Just purchased for my sons 16th birthday car. Excellent condition, all service each 3,000 miles since new had been done at Toyota dealer ship by the one owner.
We were driving it around the neighborhood yesterday, every time he pushed on the brakes, the traction light would flash. Even sitting still it flashed. I drove it home 25 miles the day before and it did not do this.
Is it possible that he is pushing the brake pedal too hard? The roads and driveway were dry and it was 63 degrees.
I called the Lexus dealer where we bought it to see if they pulled the OBD codes when they cleaned it up. They put 4 new tires on it, flushed the brake fluid, and changed the oil before posting it for sale.
Any thoughts?

My first post here, BTW. We have Tundras and Highlanders in the family, this is the first RAV4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe it is called the slip indicator light, and the issue might have something to do with the hill descent system?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can't tell you why exactly, but I have seen the same in my 2009. It will appear if I do any of the following:

*While completely stopped, press too hard or excessively brake pedal. Not talking about typically reaction driven mash, but excessive pedal pressure.

*While completely stopped, press brake pedal and pull up on bottom of steering wheel

*While completely stopped, brake "boost" by pressing brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time to preload the rav4 to launch forward. Why do this you may ask? Well, because...racecar that's why! These V6 rav4s are quite fun to drive.

Some sort of safety feature to protect ABS or something like it? Hasn't ever caused any real problems but a couple times the rav4 wouldn't drive after it beeps and the indicator blinks. Turned it off and on and back to normal. I just learned not to press to hard on the pedal.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
You said it didn't do it when you drove it. Did you drive it again after your son did and did it do it for you? If so, something broke and it needs to go back to the dealer. If it didn't do it for you the second time, then it's something he's doing to cause it. Is he a left-foot braker, stepping on the brake and gas at the same time? If he pushes it too hard, the car will come to a "skidding halt", which should be obvious. Is he coming to a normal stop and then trying to push the pedal "thru the floor"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it is tied to the hill-assist braking function. As I have read about this, they stopped putting it on the RAV4's after a couple of years(?). Yes, each time he did stopped (stop signs, in the driveway, etc.), he is a brand new driver, the light would come on and a single beep was audible. When moving the car the light would go off and it would drive normally.
I will drive it some and see if I can reproduce it.
It was not skidding stops, etc. He was a little abrupt on the stops since he is just starting out driving. The really weird part is we came back into our driveway, and he was turning the car around to back it into its spot. The car was not moving, the foot on the brake, and it happened. No motion or anything.
Wonder if there is any way to turn off the hill-assist function, if that is the culprit?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is because he is pressing the brake too hard(while stopped) and it is triggering the hill assist feature. I noticed this light at one point a few months ago and that is all it is. Try it, press down firm on the brake pedal, the light will come on. This will hold the brakes for about 2-3secs and then it will beep at you to warn you the brakes are about to be released. Just tell him to either stop using his left foot or don't hold the brake down so hard while stopped. And it does take a firm press to initiate it so he is pressing just too much for standard driving. No need to try to disable the hill assist as I don't know if you can. I also never accidentally trigger it unless I am pressing excessively on the brake pedal which I was pumping my brakes while stopped when it triggered for me the 1 and only time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts