Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any special recommendation to ask the one who will fix my first flat tire?.... Something regards the pressure sensor?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you are just going to plug the tire, no worries about the air pressure monitor sensors.

If replacing the tire, either use a Toyota dealer or use a tire shop equiped and trained to work with rims/tires with those sensors in place.

There is some info in the owners guide that implies there are special tools and procedures involved in order to not damage the sensors.

Better safe than sorry I say!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already fixed !... :D
They fixed like any other tire... the sensor is just a small black box attached to the valve, but inside of the tire... I think just to ask them to take care about it is enough...

Well, I will not go again near to houses constructions!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check your bolts torque after repairing a flat tire... Today I noticed 1 missing on the tire that was repaired... :( I have to go autozone and buy another.

J

·
0 Posts
Thats always a good idea.
Many times the techs will just put them on without checking the torque and at times can tweak out your brake disc's or have the the opposite happen like on vallesj ride.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine picked up a screw shortly after I got it. One of the best places to have a tire repaired is NTB. They use a patch/plug, which basically is a patch that has a long slender piece of rubber attached that the pull through the hole. It works well. Seems every time I get a new car (this is my 3rd), I get a nail or screw in one of the tires not too awefully long after I get it. NTB is pricey (could be because of the tire type on the Sport), but it works well. Another nice thing about the RAV4 Sport is the spare is identical to the other 4 wheels. The tire pressure sensors didn't give me any problems, FYI.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I want to know how to keep from getting metal impaled in my tires to begin with, short of riding on steel tires. I'm losing count of how many flat tires I've experienced in the last few months. I think it's around 7 flats since late fall, and they all involve sharp metal objects (nails, screws, nail bits, torm metal shrapnel,...). :roll: :x

I think I need large magnets mounted in front of and behind each wheel, though that would work only for steel stuff and not bits of aluminum alloy. <sigh> :roll:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I guess I've been lucky. The only time one of my tires was punctured by a nail I was able to drive around with it for more than a month, adding a couple PSI of air each week until I got a new tire. I have however killed a couple of tires on my Rav and previous vehicles by tearing the sidewall on rocks and curbs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone else (preferably with a 4.2) gotten wheel studs and lugnuts that perpetually seem to be too tight? All the tow truck drivers and a coworker have complained about the excessive tightness of the nuts/bolts on my wheels.

Last weekend I asked the Toyota dealership to take a look, and they said the nuts/studs have too tight of a fit and the threads on the studs/bolts are getting stripped. I notice that they didn't volunteer to replace these original equipment studs, though. Hmmm... :roll:

·
Registered
271 Posts
What am I going to use the torque wrench for? If they've tightened it too much, they could have damaged it by then. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I guess, if you had one. You could have prevented it from getting damaged in the first place. Some of us out here are DIY savvy and enjoy working on our rides. 8)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess if you send the vehicle to a service center, overtightening damage is not preventable. :( Next time I let them service my vehicle, I should have them sign a custom liability form..

hm... If you overtightening the lugs and caused damage, you're liable for damages.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Must have tool

I agree, great tool to have around. If you've ever watched these so called professional tire shops put on your rims. You'll run out and buy one quick. I could remember not long ago, tire shops would use air gun tools to tighten the lug nuts. :shock:

If you can change a tire and use a ratchet.
You can use a torque wrench.
You just might save yourself from unnecessary headaches and repairs.

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts