Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know the rav4 has a crap towing capacity but to my knowledge a tow bar greatly minimizes some towing needs

Ok I have a awd 99 5door that im hopeing i can tow my 89 supra with using a towbar or flat tow is this possible has anyone tried anything similar ECT.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, do you want to dinghy tow the RAV4 or the Supra. The RAV4 technically could tow the Supra as long as the Supra has a brake controller, but it would be WAY over capacity and I certainly wouldn't do it to my RAV4. I recently towed an oversized vehicle behind another vehicle, I couldn't tow over 50 mph without overheating. When I checked the tow vehicle's transmission fluid after the tow it smelled burnt so of course I changed the oil and transmission fluid. I would highly discourage overloaded towing.

You can dinghy tow a manual RAV4, see http://www.rav4world.com/forums/108-4-1-tsbs/64773-ax001-00-dinghy-towing-guide-03-17-00-a.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
My mkiii supra isnt 2 tons... I recently pulled 3500 lbs on a utility trailer without brakes with a 5 ,door 5sp 1999 rav.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mk3 is the turbo Targa 5speed model the info sticker inside the door is labeled 4130 lbs or something close to that

·
Registered
39 Posts
Towing and moving was fine. I wouldnt go over 3500 lbs by much. 4k is the max i would try. Leave plenty of space to stop. The brakes leave something to be desired.

In other thoughts my suprais hardtop non abs and is gutted as can be

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts