Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've had numerous issues with my Rav4... first I'll give you a little history leading up to my current issue. Keep in mind I am not very knowledgable on mechanical issues (yet, anyway).

The first major issue I had was while driving down I-78 about 2 years prior to this current issue... my battery light had been flickering (in no set pattern) while traveling at high speeds. My power steering, headlights, radio, all gave out... (alternator is toast right?)... I pulled over, shut off the car, and turned it back on with everything working. This happened a few more times before finally the alternator completely stopped working and was replaced.

My first few questions...

1) Is this the turn of events that usually happens for alternators? I am skeptical because before it completely gave out, I was able to reboot the car a few times, over the course of a month or so. Maybe this was a loose connection issue, and I was scammed by the next mechanic who examined it?

Okay... new alternator. NOW, I'm driving back from philly after my new oil change. Someone messed up. Oil light flickers, before I know it, loud bang, and the engine is smoking. Bye bye engine. New engine.

2) After the diagnosis, we decided to do away with the engine that had 200,000 miles. We bought a used engine with 30,000 and my dad had it installed. What are the chances they kept the old alternator that had been in my engine with the new one?

I am wondering because I am now having the same battery flickering problem, on the same spot on I-78 as I was flying to New York to see some friends. It started to flicker, I flashed back to 2013, panicked, and turned around with my other friends very angry at me (I was not dealing an angry father and dead car at 1am while 100 miles from home.) I intend to fix this problem before any more tragedy occurs with my rav. The only light flickering is the battery light.

3) What the heck do I do? Is it the alternator again? What wires/cables should I check to make to sure they are secure? I've read that you should use a voltage meter to run a test, not sure how that works, can anyone help clarify? I've read about this problem in other forums, seems to be a recurring issue, anyone have first hand experience?

Do not be afraid to use big words, I am a decently intelligent person and plan on being able to figure this out. Any help would be great. Extending my thanks from THE Penn State University this Monday night, Kyle.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
Kyle, it would help a great deal if you would give us a clue about the year, engine type, and trim level of your RAV4. And how many miles did it have when that original alternator was replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 2007 model, 4 cylinder engine. Pretty standard Rav. As far as I know there was about 185,000 miles when I replaced the alternator. Around 190,000 is when I replaced the engine. Not sure if they touched the replaced alternator or not. However, since the "new" engine has been put in, I've put about 10,000 miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts