Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first time poster, Today we drove our 2009 RAV4 2.5 to town. No issues, came back out from dr office started car check engine light and oil light came on. Car engine noisy smoothed out a bit went to back up car shut off. Restarted, seemed ok, driving slow in town below 2000 RPM started running rough oil light flickering. Was stopping to get oil change (part of original plan) pulled into bay car is running rough top end engine noise car is occasionally surging on its own to the 2000 RPM mark engine smooths out. but I have to keep foot on brake so surge doesn't jolt car forward. Get oil change Mobil Synthetic 0-20 per usual. Leave there, starts right up but runs a little rough, drive out of bay out drive get car above 2000 RPM noise gone smooth running. Go in next place come out start car seems like running good, back out and car below 2000RPM running rough oil light flickering. Check engine comes on steady 4 wheel drive light comes on steady, traction control light on steady and cruise control will not stay on or work.

WTH? I just drove this car yesterday with absolutely no problems! We have not had any problems with it. Hubby says it acts as though low oil in upper part of engine. Any suggestions or heard of this before. Putting it on the machine tomorrow to get codes, to late tonight.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Failing VVT components, primarily Variable Valve Timing solenoid would be my guess, simple fact you stated that above 2000 RPM smooths out, so yes get the codes pulled and have your mechanic look at the VVT. Not sure on the oil change intervals, could also be sludge build-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great going to pull them this morning, I change synthetic oil every 5,000. and owner before me had complete record of maintenance at the dealer. Bought with 65,000 only have 114,000 on it now. Will look into the VVT Components. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have codes and checked VVT both work without issue

So we checked the VVT solenoid and both worked opening and closing with the same small gap.
So we hooked up the Toyota to the code reader and we got the P0300-P0304 which are all misfires the following are the rest of the codes

P0010 Camshaft position Actuator circuit Open Bank 1
P0012 Camshaft Position Timing Over retarded bank 1
P0013 V Camshaft position actuator circuit open bank 1
P0016 Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A
P0017 Crankshaft camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor B
p00345 crankshaft position sensor A circuit
P0014 B Camshaft position system performance timing over advanced Bank 1

Checked the VVT solenoid and both work fine clicking open and closed with gaps as should.

We are thinking camshaft phaser (Timing Sprocket) as we still have a loud rattling in the top of the engine other then that it is running smoothly. all lights still on. Thinking maybe timing chain area? Could it be the Camshaft position sensor?

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
What I recommend is clearing all codes and then dealing with the first one that comes back.

If it was my RAV4 I'd try running a "thicker" oil say 20W-30 non synthetic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thicker Oil

Ok thanks we will take this into consideration, the mechanic I talked to online said he thinks the camshaft is bad but the oil was never low or out. I'm not sure why one day it would be running fine and the next day all of this is happening. It just seems odd that the camshaft would go "bad" sitting in my driveway over night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled Tappet Cover have pic

Hey, so my husband pulled the tappet cover and the cams seem fine. He did discover something that is questionable. I am attaching a picture of what I am talking about.

Just under the tappet cover there is a rail on the passenger side. It has three "holes" at the front end and three at the back. Both have a black gasket around them. The oil sending unit is in the block just below the area on the outside. When we rolled the engine over the back three holes had pressure and blew oil, the front three holes did not. He covered the back three and still nothing came out of the front three.

We had originally thought the motor sounded as though it was not getting enough oil to the top half and it appears that we may have been correct? Could this be a bad oil sending unit? or something wrong with the rail? or is this something that is normal (front holes blowing nothing)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correction to the above

Only one of the holes blows air from the back three. The front none of the three blow air. So when my husband put his finger over the "air"hole in back and rolled engine over oil bubbled out of the front holes and the center hole about mid way of the camshaft like it should. We also realized that the VVT solenoids one each plug into this rail with the holes (of course on the outside of the cover. We are back to thinking it is a VVT solenoid? Maybe it is not opening fully? We are just not sure why the front part of the rail has no air blowing through.

Not sure that the oil pressure unit has anything to do with this issue. The timing chain is tight and in good condition along with the sprockets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FIXED!!!!

Ok so we finally figured out what was going on. The oil change guys did not put the "parts" back into the oil filter housing. They just changed the filter and I don't know if they did not realize the other parts they removed or maybe thought they were extra's! The oil filter was sucked up into the housing which kept the oil from pulling through. Luckily we had not driven the car far, so $70 worth of parts and a quart of oil and the car is not making a sound and all lights are off. Hopefully there is no further damage that shows up later! Thanks for all your help!
:wink

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Wow, that was a close one. Why are these inept "oil change guys" still in business?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glad you were able to resolve the issue yourself, not sure of the clarity of the events you posted originally.....there was a report of the problem before the oil change service company worked on car that you had top end noise & CEL's, wondering what parts/items were not replace/or not installed correclty in oil filter housing/cover? i'm not gettin it?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Ok so we finally figured out what was going on. The oil change guys did not put the "parts" back into the oil filter housing. They just changed the filter and I don't know if they did not realize the other parts they removed or maybe thought they were extra's! The oil filter was sucked up into the housing which kept the oil from pulling through. Luckily we had not driven the car far, so $70 worth of parts and a quart of oil and the car is not making a sound and all lights are off. Hopefully there is no further damage that shows up later! Thanks for all your help!
:wink
Care to mention who the "oil change guys" are? Was it one of those quickie oil change places?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts