Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a floor jack do I need to place said jack either on both ends of rav to lift either front or back wheels off the ground at once. I have a 2013 rav. I want to make it easier to switch out winter to all season tires. I used my jack that came with rav and it was a pain to do one tire at a time. Would a 2 ton floor jack do the trick. Do i need to see how much lift or how high the arm will raise to lift rav? Or is easier for me to just put tires in rav and have gas station do it?
That might be easier. of course i will have to pay at least $20 to start with plus labor. Then I have to do this at the end of the fall season too so that is additional cost. Maybe the floor jack in the long run will be financial easier on wallet? People thoughts?

·
Registered
499 Posts
You need a jack that lifts at least 20 inches to get lift on the wheels. You may also consider lifting on the pinch weld a bit wearward of the front road jack lift point. This will lift both the front and rear wheel if you prefer. Note that cheap hydraulic floor jacks tend to leak as they get older.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to lift the front of my 2015 RAV4 XLE using a floor jack with max height of 18 & 1/4 inches at the center jack point shown in the manual and lower it onto 2 jack stands placed at the front pinch welds while still keeping the front wheels off the ground.

They were barely off the ground though, less than 1/2 inch.

I was NOT able to do this in the rear though. My floor jack could not lift the rear high enough to let me set my jack stands high enough where the stands would keep the wheels off of the ground after lowering the rear back onto the stands at the rear pinch welds.

And I was also jacking up the rear from my class III aftermarket trailer hitch that has a large flat section right under the rear center jack point which gave me an extra few inches for jacking up the rear.

I think I may be able to get a large block of wood under this flat section of the trailer hitch and jack up on that to give me even more height which should allow me to set my jack stands high enough to have the rear wheels off the ground when lowered back onto the stands.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was able to lift the front of my 2015 RAV4 XLE using a floor jack with max height of 18 & 1/4 inches at the center jack point shown in the manual and lower it onto 2 jack stands placed at the front pinch welds while still keeping the front wheels off the ground.

They were barely off the ground though, less than 1/2 inch.

I was NOT able to do this in the rear though. My floor jack could not lift the rear high enough to let me set my jack stands high enough where the stands would keep the wheels off of the ground after lowering the rear back onto the stands at the rear pinch welds.

And I was also jacking up the rear from my class III aftermarket trailer hitch that has a large flat section right under the rear center jack point which gave me an extra few inches for jacking up the rear.

I think I may be able to get a large block of wood under this flat section of the trailer hitch and jack up on that to give me even more height which should allow me to set my jack stands high enough to have the rear wheels off the ground when lowered back onto the stands.

Again, this topic has been discussed before, but you don't need jack stands to get your rear wheels off, just use the floor jack or emergency jack.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Again, this topic has been discussed before, but you don't need jack stands to get your rear wheels off, just use the floor jack or emergency jack.

Maybe a 'sticky' for this topic is in order? :wink

Reactions: LuckySixes
1 - 7 of 7 Posts