Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is supposed to rain all weekend, so I am collection fluids (and oil filter) for my '14 xle. I bought synthetic 75w-90 gear lube for the read diff and front transfer case. I'll change the trans fluid with the appropriate Toyota fluid.

I've changed the trans fluid in several BMW's without dipsticks using a digital cooking thermometer to keep track of the fluid temperature. It seemed to work well. starting from a cold vehicle ( 80 ish degrees) It doesn't take long to get to 104 to 113. Filling is fast & furious work for just a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Unless you have a lift or pit, just jacking & levelling the vehicle is a PITA. Crawling around underneath a jacked vehicle is even more of a PITA.
Letting the tech experts to do a brake fluid flush, diff & transfer case flush, coolant flush, and auto trans flush every 4-5 years is not game changing for me.
I commend your initiative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weekend is over, so how did it go?
Change of plans on the transmission service. I talked to a second dealer nearby, and the service manager talked me into not doing the trans service. He told me that if I absolutely must, then wait until 120k miles for a full service. I'll wait.

Sounds crazy. This is my first Toyota. I've had a BMW that did not require trans service and it went to sh*&. I've had a couple of Hondas that get the trans serviced every 30k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the diff and transfer case and engine oils today. 70K miles. the diff and transfer case oils looked cleaner than the motor oil with 5k miles since last change. both magnetic drain plugs had just a slight "metallic fuzzy" covering the magnets. I refilled them with 75w-90 full synthetic from Oreilly's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How much diff gear oil is need to do the rear diff and the front transfer case? I think I need 1qt but haven't confirmed this and oddly enough service couldn't tell me over the phone.

thanks
Cody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts