Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Rav 4 I4 base 4wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to change the rear diff oil, transfer case oil and trans fluid on a 2011 Rav4 4wd auto.

I've seen write-ups so I am fairly confident it seems straight forwards;
My questions are if the v6 and I4 steps differ (both 4wd), I'm assuming they are mostly..?
Is 75w-90 synthetic the proper oil for this (North MN so gets cold?)? Any kind of special ATF? Is there a trans return line to easily drain the system as i saw in one video (V6 though)

Thanks for any help! Will be getting a service manual when I can.. sure that'd have most of my answers!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Looking to change the rear diff oil, transfer case oil and trans fluid on a 2011 Rav4 4wd auto.

My questions are if the v6 and I4 steps differ (both 4wd), I'm assuming they are mostly..?
Is 85w-90 the proper oil for this (North MN so gets cold?)? Any kind of special ATF? Is there a trans return line to easily drain the system as i saw in one video (V6 though)

Thanks for any help! Will be getting a service manual when I can.. sure that'd have most of my answers!
I can’t help with the gear lube or axle fluid, but the transmission fluid must be Toyota WS or compatible. From all the resources people have been able to find, the Toyota-branded WS is not a full synthetic. However Aisin (Toyota’s transmission company) does apparently make a full synthetic WS which has been available through RockAuto.com. Other members (like me) have used Valvoline MaxLife with good results. The general recommendation is to get a synthetic fluid whenever possible. You can find instructions for the flush using an advanced search in 4.3 Mechanical for “return line flush” and here DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2011 Rav 4 I4 base 4wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!! Good to know about synthetic and the max life!

Do you know if the v6 and I4 vary much in regards to the trans/diff? Seemed most of the ones I found were the V6 model ( I'm sure it can't be much different where I couldn't figure it out but helps knowing! )

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

Is 75w-90 synthetic the proper oil for this (North MN so gets cold?)? Any kind of special ATF? Is there a trans return line to easily drain the system as i saw in one video (V6 though)

For the t/c and rear diff you can use 75w-90. This is what I am using which gets cold here in Ontario. For ATF most like to use Toyota WS but you can use other synthetic ATF like Amsoil, Maxlife,Pennzoil, etc. The V6 and 4 banger are similar. Yes there is a return line for return line flush if you want to do one.

Some tips for new owners that never done these things before:
  • The transfer case fill plug needs a hex key to remove and you can not use a hex socket (10mm) due to limited tight space. Get a hex key and cut the width to 1/2 inch. Insert the hex key into a narrow pipe just wider than the hex key so you have a longer handle.
  • When removing the transmission drain or rear dff fill or drain plug ensure you clean the rust in the hex head. Tap a hammer so the hex socket goes all the way in. This will prevent rounding the head because you can not tell if the hex socket is all the way in. Many people have rounded these bolts and caused more problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Just did mine the other day 2011 4cyl.... went with sae 80w90.. nj temps vary shouldnt really matter much as long as u stick with the owners manual suggestions. Do urself a favor and start with the fill plugs... they were a nightmare for me to get off

·
Registered
990 Posts
Comment deleted - irrelevant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts