Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 130k miles on my Rav4 2003 4WD. I do regular maintenance, do oil change every 3k or less. Do you recommend flushing or changing fluid on trans and diff? I just checked the trans fluid its still pink but its kinda dirty but its on good condition. Would you recommend doing it? A friend of mine works on a trans shop but he told me not to do anything if you don't notice anything wrong it might slip if you do it. I want to do it because its part of the maintenance especially I've heard transmission problem with Rav4 so I'm basically doing a preventive maintenance i want to have it till 200k miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
If you do a transmission drain and fill every 30,000 miles just keep it up. If you bought it used and don't know the history flush it. It all depends on how often the transmission fluid was changed to determine if you do a flush. If your were going for very long drain intervals then a flush would help. I prefer using the return line for a flush and not taking it to a shop using a machine.

For the differential do it every 40,000 miles. I use synthetic oil for better low and high temperature viscosity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this vehicle with 117k miles on it. I don't have any idea if the owner did a transmission drain on this vehicle. I want to do it because when I'm driving about 70 miles per hr it has a very loud kinda winning noise to it. My dad told me it could be normal because its a 4 speed. Well do you think the best solution is to do a flush if you don't know the history same with the differential? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Just do a flush using the return line to rule out any problems with the fluid. For the rear differential do a drain and fill. Same with the transfer case. Use synthetic gear oil like a 75W-90 which should last much longer.

You should feel a difference when you change the fluids. The previous owner may have never changed those fluids. Even though the transmission oil is not dark black a flush will benefit. When a drain and fill (transmission) is done only less than half is removed because the other half stays in the torque converter. So you just keep mixing the old oil with new oil. So if you really want the cleanest oil a flush is the best remedy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts