Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Belkin FM transmitter to play my iPod songs wirelessly through my Pioneer head unit. Whenever the FM transmitter is tuned into the same frequency on the Pioneer head unit i can hear a mixture of static and whining noise coming from my RAV's speakers.

The noise mimics what the engine is doing. If the engine revs are increasing the whining noise will increase. Same thing happens when engine revs decrease. I'm guessing it has something to do with something thats not grounded properly?

·
Registered
542 Posts
normally noise like that is from the ignition (plugs, wires, coil, & so on) or, as you suggest, grounding. the fm transmitter wiring could be picking this noise up from the plugs or wires via electro-magnetic radiation. do you have "wire wound" wires or carbon ones (like the oem)? the carbon ones are far better at suppressing these noises since they don't create as much electro-magnetic field when the spark current goes through them.

the "AM" signals should be suppressed by your receiver on FM, but if it's being picked-up on the analog input from your i-pod to the FM transmitter, try shielding & grounding the cable. also check the grounding and shielding of the transmitter power cable.

may not be the case but worth a try!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mohit said:
I recently bought a Belkin FM transmitter to play my iPod songs wirelessly through my Pioneer head unit. Whenever the FM transmitter is tuned into the same frequency on the Pioneer head unit i can hear a mixture of static and whining noise coming from my RAV's speakers.

The noise mimics what the engine is doing. If the engine revs are increasing the whining noise will increase. Same thing happens when engine revs decrease. I'm guessing it has something to do with something thats not grounded properly?
I assume it doesn't happen when the car is off. Stereo's can pick up electrical noise from the engine, engine computer or electric motors such as the heater and wiper motors usually on older cars. You can buy a ground loop isolator and/or a distortion blocker/noise eliminator and wire them into your system. You could probably buy them at Radio Shack for around $10. Also, if you have high performance spark plug wires or other electronic Mods that could cause interference. Dude, I hope this helps. 8)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running NGK Iridium spark plugs and Top Gun ignition leads. The ignition leads are spiral wire construction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts