Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter hit a something on the freeway and it knocked one of the fog lights loose. It looks like the light housing is mounted to some small tabs/brackets that are part of the front bumper cover and those brackets just broke off. So I have to replace the entire front bumper cover to fix it? Or maybe glue the brackets back on? Not sure how long that would last or what the best adhesive is for that.

We have a 2008 Limited.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is a thread on installing fog lights...that shows how to install them I think...anywho...the fog light has 2 or 3 tabs on it...the tabs slide into a recess in the bumper on one side and on the other side use 1 screw to secure it in place...the bumper itself does not have tabs...you also do not need to remove the bumper to get to the fog lights...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at that thread (or a similar one) but I think mine are different. There are no screw holes or recesses around the hole that I can feel. I've attached a couple pics -- you can't really tell but one of the edges on each of those reddish brackets is definitely a break, and I can feel a couple spots inside the bumper that feel like something broke off. I thought I saw something that made me think they changed between 2008 and 2009 but not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
that's a bad damage. not really serious from the outside. but inside is where its asking to replace the whole thing. sorry for that buddy.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
The fog light housing to attached to the bumper using 3 screws.
You will have to check to see if that portion the housing attached to the bumper is broken, or the female part on the bumper where the screw goes into the or maybe both.

You can take off the front part of the fender liner and investigate the damage to the bumper from inside.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
From the pics, it looks the the housing around the foglight is damaged, not the foglight itself. Check the bumper too and see what really needs to be replaced and what can be super-glued or bent back in shape with some heat. All this is hidden so it does not have to be pristine.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I looked at that thread (or a similar one) but I think mine are different. There are no screw holes or recesses around the hole that I can feel. I've attached a couple pics -- you can't really tell but one of the edges on each of those reddish brackets is definitely a break, and I can feel a couple spots inside the bumper that feel like something broke off. I thought I saw something that made me think they changed between 2008 and 2009 but not sure.
Yeah, the 2008 has a separate bracket piece. Vanib has the right idea--remove the inner wheel well liner and determine what is damaged. A tab or two might have been sheared off, possibly repairable with super glue or JB Weld. But how that could happen without breaking the lamp or damaging the outer bumper is amazing.

Here's a pic from a fog light kit--the part on the left is the bracket used on the 2008--note 3 holes for screws to attach to bumper (and not needed on my 2009). You may end up needing to replace just that part.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You can see red plastic still attached to the fog light bracket...so that means that one or more of the contact points on the bumper ripped off...most likely will need a new bumper in order to fix it correctly...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I'll have to pull it apart this weekend and see if it's fixable. She hit a bucket and it pushed in the bumper but it popped back out, but the flexing broke the brackets. There is minor damage to the bumper but only if you look close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting, didn't know there would be such a thing as a plastic welding business.

Does anyone know what type of plastic the bumpers are made of? I see various plastic adhesives but they typically say they don't work on certain types.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts