Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I somehow managed to crack my right fog lamp (probably from a rock or something). Because of this, I ordered a new pair of fog lamps which are DOT approved from here:

07 14 Toyota Camry 06 12 RAV4 12 14 Tacoma FOG Lights Clear Lens | eBay

I also decided to try out some LED bulbs since I previously had HID bulbs installed in my fog lights and they were just too bright for my liking. I originally looked at these H11 bulbs from Putco:

Nite-Lux LED Kit by PUTCO

I like the use of the copper belts in place of the electric fan that most other LED bulbs use, as those fans tend to die rather early in the bulbs' life span. However, at a price of ~$220 there was no way I was going to buy the Putco ones. I did some research and managed to find one seller that carries H11 LED bulbs that have a similar design to the Putco ones:

2015 40W 5000LM H7 H11 9005 9006 Cree LED Headlight KIT CAR Driving Lamp Bulbs | eBay

Now, I know these aren't on par with the Putco bulbs, but at 1/4 of the price I didn't think I had much to lose, so I bought the pair of bulbs to try them out.

These appear to be well made, they even came with 55W H11 halogen bulbs (they are no-name bulbs, not Philips or any other brand).

Here are the bulbs in their packaging. The kit includes two H11 bulbs and two LED drivers, along with a manual.

Here is a close-up of the unit. The copper belts felt fairly beefy, I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Here is a comparison between the LED bulb and the halogen H11 bulb. The "hotspot" on the halogen bulb appears to line up with the LED placement on the LED bulb.

Here's what it looks like when the bulb is installed into the fog lamp.

According to the manual, the copper belts must be opened up to allow for optimum cooling, so I proceeded to open up all four copper belts.

The LED driver is then connected to the bulb and a plastic screw cap is tightened to prevent any disconnections.

A 12V DC adapter was used for testing on my dining table.

First time turning on, no issues.

A close-up of the fog lamp while the bulb is on.

Projected light against a wall.

Illuminated area ~15ft from the fog lamp.

Both the left and right fog lamp on at the same time.

Front view of both fog lamps.

I have yet to install them in my rav, I will do so as soon as I have free time and I will update on the outcome. So far, I'm very happy with these bulbs. They are definitely brighter than the halogens, but they aren't as blinding as the light output from the HID bulb inside of the fog lamp. I'm not quite sure what the appropriate description is, but to me, I'd describe the light output as "crisp". It just looks "clean". "Sharp", even. Again, not as blindingly bright as an HID bulb inside such a small housing as a fog lamp. I used my phone's camera to take all these pictures and it managed to get a good shot with the lens right in front of the lamp while powered on. I probably couldn't have done that with an HID bulb inside there.

The copper belts seem to work adequately. After letting both lamps run for 15 minutes, the copper belt was warm to the touch. Considering the fact that these will see a lot of air flow when installed on the vehicle, I feel confident that this cooling solution is more than adequate.

I should also mention that they turn on instantly when powered on, no warming up like HIDs, just instant light (that is expected from an LED bulb). I highly doubt its outputting ~5000 lumens like the manufacturer claims, but it's definitely putting out more lumens than a halogen bulb.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
looks pretty good...i have the morimoto xb led fog lights and am very pleased with them...i did a projector retrofit and the led light color matches my projectors perfectly...i have my fogs set up as my drl lights as well...not the brightest lights but they work well for what i want them for...keep us informed as to how these hold up...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks pretty good...i have the morimoto xb led fog lights and am very pleased with them...i did a projector retrofit and the led light color matches my projectors perfectly...i have my fogs set up as my drl lights as well...not the brightest lights but they work well for what i want them for...keep us informed as to how these hold up...
I assume you own this kit:

Toyota XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source

These are amazing compared to the stock fog lamp reflectors. Sharper cutoff and wider beam angle. Too bad they cost so much, but hey you get what you pay for right?

According to the seller, my bulbs are rated 6500K but they appear to be closer to 6000K ("Diamond White") than the ever-so-blueish 7000K. How do you like 5000K on your Morimotos?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I assume you own this kit:

Toyota XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source

These are amazing compared to the stock fog lamp reflectors. Sharper cutoff and wider beam angle. Too bad they cost so much, but hey you get what you pay for right?

According to the seller, my bulbs are rated 6500K but they appear to be closer to 6000K ("Diamond White") than the ever-so-blueish 7000K. How do you like 5000K on your Morimotos?
yep that is what i have...the color is great and matches my headlights great...the light output is pretty good but since i have 55w hids they dont really add much light...a little to the foreground and a little to the left and right but i didnt buy them for driving...they are my drls and i have a remote starter so they also light up when i remote start it...no real function just vanity lol...im big on my vehicles not looking like other peoples...i have not seen any other rav around with mods like mine so im happy lol...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts