Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to first say I have no idea what I’m doing, but I am willing to learn because I am not done doing mods on my rav.

I recently got fog lights with the turn signal indicators. With the help of a friend that knows more than I do, have the fog lights installed and wired up (turn signals are not, I’ll get to that.) When we tried them, they were working like they should. When i started my vehicle, it started smelling like burnt wires. I turned off the vehicle and started it again, it smelled again. We disconnected them from the battery and the smell went away. So as for right now, they are unhooked.

Secondly, do I need to order connectors for the turn signals? The friend that’s helping me is kind of lost when it comes to hooking those up and said I needed some. Any advice on that would be highly appreciated.

Finally, where can I find a fog light button that will fit in the spot beside the automatic hi-beam button, the one that came with the kit is too big to fit in the spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just installed the same housings but with the toyota oem led fogs. I just put the turn signal wire, headlight wire, into the positive terminal and kinda shoved in the connector. Worked perfectly for me. Quite easy actually. I can post a video of how they install if you'd like

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that would be great. When we hooked up the fog lights and started the vehicle, it smelled like burning wires and fog lights weren’t even turned on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The video just confused me even more. My rav4 did not have fog lights at all. The kit I ordered has the lights wired straight to the battery. We didn’t even touch the turn signals (I did not get the bars that go under the hood). So I haven’t even looked at fuses.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For just the fog light housing, watch the first part of the video before he gets to the lights under the hood. That’s how I did mine. Made it very easy for me anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll watch again. I got the red wire connected to the battery and the black grounded. And the lights were staying on even with the key off. Do I have to wire the turn signals and use the connector from there for the fog lights also?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the lights in my vehicle. They are installed. It’s all the wiring I can not figure out. The video you sent doesn’t show the fog lights being wired up because they didn’t have to be. The vehicle already had them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea on wiring the actual fog lights themselves. But to hook up the turn signal, drl, and blue light for headlights, that video helped me a ton. Was just putting the wire in with the regular wiring and it worked perfectly. I suck at wiring anything past screwing in a light bulb, so this was quite the accomplishment for me lol. taking the bumper partially off did help a ton though I must admit.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,081 Posts
Here’s a possible solution, given those new lamps aren’t OEM, maybe their design tolerance allows for conductivity somewhere in its design. Try using some dielectric grease in the connectors and see if that helps.

My old matrix had a flickering fog light that had a similar subtle smell, when I held it firmly it was fixed, but eventually came back an hour later. When I applied some dielectric grease into the connector it was fixed permanently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I solved the smell problem. The person helping me did not have the ground grounded correctly. The issue I’m at now is I have the black wire grounded, the red is connect to the positive terminal, and the lights are staying on even with the key out of the ignition. But every video I have watched shows it wired the same way I’m doing it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Probably need to have a switch on the positive connection is my best guess. If you just have the positive and negative connected with no interrupter, it's going to just be constantly on.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid LE
8 Posts
I just installed the same housings but with the toyota oem led fogs. I just put the turn signal wire, headlight wire, into the positive terminal and kinda shoved in the connector. Worked perfectly for me. Quite easy actually. I can post a video of how they install if you'd like
Did your car come with fog logs, or did you buy the OEM lights from somewhere? I've been looking for them, but can't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok i just installed these. Another member did them before me. I knew what i wanted to do but asked for his assistance to make it go easier for me as i was gonna do more of a harder install as that’s kinda how i roll sometimes. I didn’t think about the side markers though as those are always on when DRLs are one. So anyways my LeD strips had a yellow wire which is for amber/blinker. Tapped that into the stock blinker wire. The black i grounded. The red wire tapped into the side marker so the LED strip is full bright when DRLs are on. The white wire i tapped in the headlights so that the DRLs dim upon turning on the headlights. The actual fogs are wired to the switch that came with everything. I cut the wire for that switch and spliced in more wire to reach into the cab. I ran that wire along the hood latch. I cut a slit in the grommet to get it through but sealed it up with black RTV. The fog lights have a relay so without the switch being on they should not turn on. You could tap into the headlights though if you wanted them to turn on with the headlights and not use the switch. Anyways i soldered and used Super 33 electrical tape for all my connections. I also made sure the wire loom went back over connections and taped back over the wire loom. The wires are all tucked fairly well too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts