Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New to the fourm and the RAV4 world as well.

I just got a 2007 model which already has fog lights, but I am wondering what it would take to make them the DRL instead of the high beams.

Has anyone dont this before?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have done this.....I made it so that my fog lights had power anytime the key was in the run position......they are still controlled by the stock switch so I can turn them off if I don't want them on....I also replaced my stock fog lights with led ones...I did a write up and posted some pics....if you intend to do this let me know cause I need to make a slight change in power source that I used...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd be interested in learning more about this too

I have done this.....I made it so that my fog lights had power anytime the key was in the run position......they are still controlled by the stock switch so I can turn them off if I don't want them on....I also replaced my stock fog lights with led ones...I did a write up and posted some pics....if you intend to do this let me know cause I need to make a slight change in power source that I used...

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are looking to use LED fogs, try using this, and splicing the DRL line to your fog lights via an extension. I worked up one to instal next chance I have. The real bugger is that Toyota reversed polarity for all the headlights, against industry standards.

Otherwise if you want to keep your halogens, you could rig up a set of harnesses and relays to run your fogs in series when in DRL mod (pretty much like the high beams), and switch to normal power pathway when the low beams are on.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/186050-auxiliary-drl-relay-schematic.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how can I make it so that they are just DRL's and I don't need to manually turn them on?

Just take the DRL wire and connect it to the fogs?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So how can I make it so that they are just DRL's and I don't need to manually turn them on?

Just take the DRL wire and connect it to the fogs?
A bit more complicated than that since the DRL's are the high beams at lower power....the easiest way would be to unplug the fog lights from the wiring harness and run a wire that gets power only when the engine is running...then run a ground wire....then the lights would come on anytime time rav is running...I think someone on here went thru and set up relays and this to do that as well...do some searching and you will find it...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
then the lights would come on anytime time rav is running...
It is my admittedly vague understanding that in at least some areas it is illegal to run your high beams and fog lights at the same time. This is why, if I'm not mistaken, the factory fog lights go off when the high beams are switched on.

The suggestion described here would allow (require, actually) the fog lights to be on whenever the high beams are on, which may be a no-no in your area.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It is my admittedly vague understanding that in at least some areas it is illegal to run your high beams and fog lights at the same time. This is why, if I'm not mistaken, the factory fog lights go off when the high beams are switched on.

The suggestion described here would allow (require, actually) the fog lights to be on whenever the high beams are on, which may be a no-no in your area.

I have also heard that some places don't allow more than 4 forward facing lights to be shining at once.....however I have yet to see or hear of anyone getting pulled over much less tickets for running 5 billion Watt hid bulbs in reflector housings or any of these ******** that drive their 17 foot tall F150 with 10 pairs of 500 Watt led lights illuminating Mars....I have mine setup so that I can turn them on and off and since I have bixenon projectors I can set it to only have 4 forward facing lights at a time...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Come to think of it, I'm also not sure if it is legal to run with your fog lights on while only the running lights are on (no high beam or low beams turned on).

I don't know if the factory fog lights will go on if only the running lights are on. My guess is that they won't, and again probably for legal reasons.

If I think of it, I try it later and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Come to think of it, I'm also not sure if it is legal to run with your fog lights on while only the running lights are on (no high beam or low beams turned on).

I don't know if the factory fog lights will go on if only the running lights are on. My guess is that they won't, and again probably for legal reasons.

If I think of it, I try it later and see what happens.

The rav4 fog lights won't work with only running lights but I have had several Dodge cars that would....I'm sure each state has their own laws about such things...I was stopped by a cop about 20 years ago for driving with only fog lights and marker lights tho I didn't get a ticket...he just told me it was illegal and drove away...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have also heard that some places don't allow more than 4 forward facing lights to be shining at once
I just checked with the PA law, and you guys are correct. So I think I will end up following Rav4System's guide.

I might risk it and see how long using the 6 lights shining at once will get me before I completely make a whole bunch of mods.

Thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts