Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fog lights "On" indicator. Does anyone have an idea for a location.
I'm think'in down by the loose change compartment. Lower/left?

Which wire/point to tap in to? I prefer a post relay feed. Perhaps someone can save me some test-light time.... I don't have a wiring schematic. Yet...
Thanks, SNY

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is there one like that?? I mean I have fog light on my 04 but I putted them on myself and never knew there was a light for them.

·
Registered
685 Posts
SNY.....when I wanted my driving lites (not fogs) on my '98 RAV to come on with the hi beams, I went right to the hi beam lead on the h/l, tapped in and ran it back thru a switch to the relay. I'd suggest picking it up at the foglite and bringing it back to a not too bright led or lite, mounted not too high..........you don't want it distracting, but you do want to see it.....
My switch (with built in led) was mounted in one of the dummies, where you were considering your lite, left of wheel, when the spokes of the steering wheel blocked it, I could still see it in the reflection in the driver's door glass......

BTW....the '98 had DRL's so finding the right tap point was a pain, hence the switch was always off during daylight.......

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes,.. My "03- L has the factory fog lights but no indicator--- (bizarre)
I guess I'll will have to track down the "hot" line. ( Underdash) and install the "pilot light" and I will surely (and don't call me Shirley) post the results.

I may also change the afore mentioned mod for the parking lights relay switch feed.

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Alien18 said:
Is there one like that?? I mean I have fog light on my 04 but I putted them on myself and never knew there was a light for them.
We may have different panels, but in our Ravs, there are indicator lights for the foglamps.

The lower left green indicator is for the front fog lamps, the upper yellow one is for the rear fog lamps.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't know if they're correctly called "rear fog lites" but they're to aid being seen in the fog, not to see. European autos have had them for years, and I've seen a few Volvos around here with them. Always seemed like a good idea to me, as I've always watched my mirrors :shock: and turned on my hi-beams in the daytime in fog and whiteouts...... I've gotten paranoid from too many years of highway commutes in limited visibility.......with 18 wheelers that don't slow for conditions......in any collision they're going to come out the winner....... :cry:
......but I digress....sorry!! :oops:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Marcutio said:
What rear fog lamps?
Yes, at least that is what our Rav4 owner's manual call this thing. And yes, as Bluenoser described it, it is more of an aid to be better seen by trailing vehicles during fogs or heavy rain.

It's that rectangular lamp just above the plate number mounting. Inside, it has an inner reflective surface just like headlights and foglights, making it slightly brighter than brake lights.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Autobeat.....thanks for the pics!!!......but what's that sensor and wire to the left of the fog.......backup proximity sensor???

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bluenoser said:
Autobeat.....thanks for the pics!!!......but what's that sensor and wire to the left of the fog.......backup proximity sensor???
Hehe. Yes. Just stuck a DIY back-up sensor vs. the ones that required drilling holes in the bumper. The flaw as you see, is the exposed wiring.

P

·
0 Posts
Hello my friends... I am a new member... I was really surprised when i read that you dont know what we call a rear fog light... here in Europe, tha rear fog light is something std since the 90's... Every car has one, some of the sedan cars have two of them... Also, i dont understand why toyota in Usa doesnt put an indicator inside the panel... Its really strange...

Autobeat we have the original toyota sensors... There are holes, but we painted the sensors in the color of our car, so they look really nice...

Plz forgive me for my English, but I haven't used English language for many years... :roll:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Papajohnis_GR said:
Hello my friends... I am a new member...
Welcome to R4W!

Papajohnis_GR said:
Autobeat we have the original toyota sensors... There are holes, but we painted the sensors in the color of our car, so they look really nice...
Yup, Gen2 Ravs in our country did not come with these sensors as standard, though dealers have options to install ones via holes in the bumper. For now, I opted with the DIY version w/o holes needed.

Papajohnis_GR said:
Plz forgive me for my English, but I haven't used English language for many years... :roll:
It's not that bad at all. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts