Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a DIY install of a pair of KC foglights. Everything went smoothly, except that the supplied wiring diagram assumed that my low beams would go off when my high beams are on. Their instructions had me place a tap on the low beam wire so that the fog lights only worked when the low beams were on (this is also a requirement in my state). On my '98 RAV4, the low beams stay on when the high beams are on, so this arrangement doesn't work.

Does anyone have a solution to wiring fogs so that they are low beam only?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mmm...... dont tell me you drive often with your "high beam" ON?

If you need to wire your fog lights to ONLY work on the low beam you need three relays,

2 x Normally Open (1 for the Low Beam and 1 to power the relay that turns on your foglights)

1 x Normally Closed (This is for your high beam)

You literally have to simulate a logic gate, when the low beams are ON and the high beams are OFF then your fog lights are ON.

If you are puzzled I can sketch a schematic for you 8)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I was hoping that there was a hack somewhere in the RAV's wiring that would let me avoid having to add a bunch of relays. More parts = more stuff to break.

I was thinking that a second relay hooked to the high beams (normally open), added to the existing relay hooked to the low beams (normally closed) would do the trick. What's that 3rd relay you mention doing? In the circuit you describe, are the fog lights ALWAYS on when the low beams are on? I've got a dash mounted switch that is tied into the first relay so that I have the option of running low beams without the fogs. (the standard KC install wiring harness) The switch is lighted and everything ;-)

I was going to call KC's customer service line and see if they sell a handy wiring harness for cars with low and high beams on at once. Otherwise, I'll try to remember where I put my soldering iron.

Thanks for your help.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you could hook the foggies up to a switch, so you can turn them on and off when you please.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kelly Smith, you ROCK!

That's exactly what I needed. The site's author even has extra-helpful photos and wiring diagrams. Nice.

I Googled until I could Google no more... wonder why I never found it on my own?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1998 vs 2001

I might have spoken too soon. The link you provided is for a 2001 RAV. What do you think the odds are that the wiring in there is at least remotely similar to my 1998...

I guess I'll find out once I start tunneling.

You still rock though Kelly Smith.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't you just use a 2 way relay

Take the wire to the fog switch from the dipped beam. Output of switch to relay switch. Then connect the normally closed output to the fogs

Then on the relay coil ground one side and connect the high beam to the other side of the coil

So Switch will switch on fogs only when dip is on - then when you are on high beam the relay will shut off the fogs

If you wanted fogs to stay on when not being tested (I presume like in the UK you only want it to work properly when your car gets it's anual test :lol: ) disconnect the wire to the coil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts