Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was parked, engine off, all external lights off - walked out later tonight and fog lights were on. Checked the light switches inside car and everything is in off position. If I turn on headlights, fog lights went off but when I turn off headlights, fog lights come back on. And fog lights are definitely set to off.

Is this a fuse issue?or something else and what would cause them to just turn on by themselves? It has been raining quite a bit - a weird short?

Also, I cannot get the cover off the fuse box under the steering wheel area. I don't think the cover has ever been pulled off - like ever - I can't even get a good grip on the little tab near the front - could use helpful hints!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is strange for sure...I pulled the fuse today and will need a chiropractor to put me back together... I even pulled some of the plastic panels off thinking it would make getting to those easier - it didn't. Anyway the fuses are fine but at least now they aren't on when the car is turned off...I appreciate that you read my post and tried to help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
never said that I thought a blown fuse would turn the light on - just asked if it could be a 'fuse' issue as in to quote you - a random fuse issue...anyway thanks for the link...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry, when you said "could be a fuse"... what is that "be" supposed to mean?

A fuse, that is basically made of a thin wire, will "be" only in one of the following two states:
  • normal state (continuous wire), electricity flows, lights are functional and controlled by switches or car's processor (automatic lights at dark for example)
  • blown state (melted wire), electricity doesn't flow anymore, lights stop working no matter what you are trying to do
There is not another state of a fuse. It's a device that melts before the wires of a car would melt and it never melts if is not an electrical fault somewhere else, fault that created the dangerous flow of current initially.

The only way a light would be "on" is if that switch randomly makes contact inside. Turning it on/off might free that contact temporarily. A normal switch should feel like it makes a "click". If you don't feel that "click", it's done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts