Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
20 Posts
@Denzu619, @325gks, @njdriver - It's this black harness w/ white connector. Towards the back it's stuck downward into the kick plate, remove it by pinching the tabs:
View attachment 151698
@WillRav4Tacos in the same boat and on the hunt to turn them on as well..... 2019 XLE AWD, no packages.
Which kick panel did you remove to find this? Was it below the glove box, or was it near the center console area? I didn't have the wiring in the panel under the glovebox.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
38 Posts
Thanks brother. I am well aware of the harness and the LED alongwith the part number. However, i need to knw the other end of the harness (somewhere near the fuse box/behind OBD reader) that connects into the Electricals of the vehicle. Mine is a base XLE 2020 Ontario built.
Ah, I'm with ya now, this thread is getting so long it's hard to keep up!!

The harness travels to the main body ECU in the driver side dash near the steering wheel. I've not figured out a way to get access to it. A few pins on that ECU's harness are for the ambient lighting. I and others have posted the wiring diagrams but I don't know how to read them sadly. Until someone figures out a way to get access to that box and also decipher the wiring diagram, I don't see a way to get them working the way they do from the factory. Others have just spliced the harnesses into other circuits to have them on all the time for example. But I'm holding out hope for a better solution.
I can read the wiring diagrams for the most part, is there something specific you're wondering about? Seems my main issue is the same as yours, not too sure how to access these back-end connectors. It's interesting they show Foot Light No 1 (G77) to route directly to connectors 4D/4A but then Foot Light No 2 (G76) splices with the rest of the interior lights before hitting the connectors. So strange they would run wire through these harnesses but not connect it at the ECU....

Which kick panel did you remove to find this? Was it below the glove box, or was it near the center console area? I didn't have the wiring in the panel under the glovebox.
This one's the drivers side, you can see in relation to the pedals in the photo. Same deal on passenger side just below the glove box. These plastic panels span the entire width of each side, don't have to dig up there too much. When you unlatch the tabs to remove the passenger panel are there any harnesses/connectors holding it up or does it just freely fall down?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
20 Posts
This one's the drivers side, you can see in relation to the pedals in the photo. Same deal on passenger side just below the glove box. These plastic panels span the entire width of each side, don't have to dig up there too much. When you unlatch the tabs to remove the passenger panel are there any harnesses/connectors holding it up or does it just freely fall down?
Unfortunately I don't have any of that wiring necessary to just pop in the lights. So I had to do some crimping, soldering, splicing and fuse tapping to have the footwell & console lights. All said they are totally functional, except they don't dim when the car is running. But they aren't particularly bright so I don't mind this at all. It's just bizarre 2 people can have the same exact model and packages installed, both built in the same country, but one will have the wiring, another won't

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XLE AWD (gas) - Blueprint/Nutmeg
101 Posts
Well, quarantine has claimed my mind so I decided to tear apart my 5 month old Rav's dash. I finally figured out how to remove the lower dash by watching some videos of people doing it on a Camry and 4Runner. It is 95% clips, there is one socket bolt, one thumb screw and of course the 3 screws holding the footwell light/scan port plastic bezel on folks already know how to remove.

I'm looking at the ECU against the wiring diagram and unfortunately I'm not able to figure out which harnesses it goes to. I have a bad feeling there are plugs on the back of the ECU also because I can feel a harness back there but no idea how to access it. I've got big hands which don't help.

I've attempted to follow the LED harness wires but everything is so taped up and in such a tight space I can't make heads or tails. Interestingly enough I found another white harness taped up near the driver side cubby shelf. I am wondering if this might be the connection for that tray light that's in the Limited model. My voltage meter leads can't fit in there and the LED lights I purchsed are a different shape connector but they are close.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have access to a telecom tone generator and probe? You could probably trace the wires down by plugging the toner into the LED wires with the car off and probing the plugs on the suspected ECU..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do have one but the wires are so small that it's hard to tell where in the jumble its going. It does seem to be on the front of the ECU that's where the tone noise is the loudest at least. I jammed some paperclips into the unknown harness in the upper left of my image and plugged in my voltage meter and it carries voltage even when the car is off, doors are closed and dome lights are off. I'm a little puzzled by that one.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
38 Posts
Well, quarantine has claimed my mind so I decided to tear apart my 5 month old Rav's dash. I finally figured out how to remove the lower dash by watching some videos of people doing it on a Camry and 4Runner. It is 95% clips, there is one socket bolt, one thumb screw and of course the 3 screws holding the footwell light/scan port plastic bezel on folks already know how to remove.

I'm looking at the ECU against the wiring diagram and unfortunately I'm not able to figure out which harnesses it goes to. I have a bad feeling there are plugs on the back of the ECU also because I can feel a harness back there but no idea how to access it. I've got big hands which don't help.

I've attempted to follow the LED harness wires but everything is so taped up and in such a tight space I can't make heads or tails. Interestingly enough I found another white harness taped up near the driver side cubby shelf. I am wondering if this might be the connection for that tray light that's in the Limited model. My voltage meter leads can't fit in there and the LED lights I purchsed are a different shape connector but they are close.
Holy cow!! I applaud you, these pictures are great. Saving them for my own future reference :D
Your bad feeling was spot on. It looks like 4A & 4D are on the back side of the ECU. This PDF seems to confirm it, as your pictures of the front match 4H & G43. They never make it easy.....

My Carista OBD ECU reader arrived today. Looked into my ECU and confirmed footwell lights are set to ON. I have a bad feeling this is going to be on the programming side of it all. Maybe they load different packages into the ECU of different trims, and the programming block for the footwells may just be non-existent in our software package... I can't imagine the harness being installed and the wire to just not be plugged in at the connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can someone with some wiring knowledge help me understand something, if I follow the wiring diagram it looks like the black wire from the driver side light and the Blue/Black wire from the rest of the lights terminate at plug 4A. From 4A does it look like it goes to pin 26 on plug G44 (Which seems to be the actual main body ECU)? Does that mean it would be possible to tap that wire and Daisy chain the lights from there?

I saw something similar had to be done to get OEM footwell lights working on the 4.4 RAV4.

Sorry I don't have much experience with electrical. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
38 Posts
Can someone with some wiring knowledge help me understand something, if I follow the wiring diagram it looks like the black wire from the driver side light and the Blue/Black wire from the rest of the lights terminate at plug 4A. From 4A does it look like it goes to pin 26 on plug G44 (Which seems to be the actual main body ECU)? Does that mean it would be possible to tap that wire and Daisy chain the lights from there?

I saw something similar had to be done to get OEM footwell lights working on the 4.4 RAV4.

Sorry I don't have much experience with electrical. Thanks for any help!

View attachment 151826
Close, but not entirely. The (A) and (C) are the connector references, for G44 and G45. The circles below BCYL and MILE associate pins 20 & 2 with those connectors. The FSPT doesn't have a circle, so it's not associated with those connectors. The blue area is the ECU, and the grey area is a junction box. 26 is probably an internal connection between those and not tied to an outside connector.

At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong, my day job is deciphering audio/video wiring diagrams, not cars ¯\(ツ)

EDIT: you might find this useful-

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ah ok, thanks that makes sense! So it seems 4A 36/37 and 4D 25/27 are indeed the connectors, 4D seems to be more on the dome light fuse side of the circuit and 4A seems to be the ECU side of the circuit? Too bad I can't get to them since they are in the back.

I think I've gone as far as I can go for now. Thanks again for all the replies and help! Maybe one day someone will figure out this mystery. Or maybe I'll just have another RAV4 with all the crap I want already installed from the factory. 😋

·
Registered
239 Posts
So are you saying the wiring is there, you just need to connect the light? I have an XLE. Its just a blue LED which can be bought for about .25 cents. Need to check into this,thanks for the tip.

I see a hole for a light, but haven't tried looking for wire pigtail yet have you?
In case anyone is interested in this for their XLE Premium...

I just ordered the parts I thought I needed. Cost $30 plus shipping and took less time to install than it did to do this write-up. What I thought was the remote mount is just the 'holder' for the wiring harness if no light is installed.

(2) 8108033280 - Courtesy Light (Left, Right) - $14.99 ea

Light assembly - LED with connector:
View attachment 143735

Driver's side showing connector in 'holder' [note: driver's plate is secured with two screws]:
View attachment 143736

Driver's side with assy installed:

View attachment 143737

Photo after plate put back in place:

View attachment 143738

Passenger side installed:

View attachment 143739

Lamps go on and off with dome lamps. Color is the same blue as the dash lamps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey all, still quarantined and still trying to figure out the XLE dead footwell/console lights.

I’m looking for some help from someone with an XLE Premium or Adventure that added the OEM light(s) and had them work.

Could you please open your glove box and pinch the guides and piston to fold it all the way down and snap a picture of this (relay?) assembly which is on the right side behind the glovebox?

Also when tearing apart the center console/cup holder I found another plug that was clipped into a blank holder next to the 2 USB ports. It has a different look than the footwell lights though. 🧐

·
Registered
7 Posts
The plug in the center console only activates 12v when you turn on the accessory or start engine. I used that line for my remote in for my amp.
FYI there are two plugs in there one center and one for the back of or underneath aircon exhaust where two USB connection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup, I took parts of my dash apart today. I have 0 harness locations for lights (foot wells, center console/usb port area, left cubby) except underneath the cup holders which is the 12V line and the other 2 pin small connector (looked like an LED connector but didn't match)

I ended up ordering the wiring harness that came with the LEDs (82285-42030) with it which was like $2.51 each. I used the one side which plugged in to the LED and cut off the other side spliced them together and just tapped in the 12V line located under the cup holder and added a switch to turn them on and off as needed.

99297816_252400119348097_5144626704639066112_n.jpg
99142309_587201248584845_2819611270653673472_n.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yup, I took parts of my dash apart today. I have 0 harness locations for lights (foot wells, center console/usb port area, left cubby) except underneath the cup holders which is the 12V line and the other 2 pin small connector (looked like an LED connector but didn't match)

I ended up ordering the wiring harness that came with the LEDs (82285-42030) with it which was like $2.51 each. I used the one side which plugged in to the LED and cut off the other side spliced them together and just tapped in the 12V line located under the cup holder and added a switch to turn them on and off as needed.
Where did you get the harnesses? They are sold out everywhere I’ve tried.

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 152660 View attachment 152661
Instructions or steps on how you did this ..I am also on same boat where I don’t have any built in harness

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got mine from Conicelli Toyota of Conshohcken. I ordered 5, originally they said it was back-ordered. Ordered on Monday 5/18 and came today 5/22.
That harness is sold out everywhere here and back ordered or I’d be doing the same thing this lovely weekend. Question for you, did you splice all 3 lights into that cup holder 12v line? I’m thinking of doing the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That harness is sold out everywhere here and back ordered or I’d be doing the same thing this lovely weekend. Question for you, did you splice all 3 lights into that cup holder 12v line? I’m thinking of doing the same.
Yup, I did splice all 3 to the 12v cup holder. I added a switch and placed it in the center console box. I was able to sneak the wires through the USB face plate which pops off. I made it look very clean. I'm debating in doing the other 2 cubby locations, but can't really find the part number for the top console cover that includes the hole for the LED.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd also like to do the same. It thankfully isn't part of the entire upper dash, it is an individual piece on both sides. Looks like it is around 200 bucks for just the passenger side. :oops: 2020 Toyota RAV4 VIN: 2T3N1RFV 2.5L AT Instrument Panel Storage Compartment. DARK. BROWN. Door, Instrument Panel - 550410R030E3 - Genuine Toyota Part

I've been trying to figure out how to get the lights working with the OEM harnesses already in place, but I am thinking I need a different wiring diagram. The one I have been using is for the Hybrid and I could be wrong but it seems the power for the footwell lights is coming from the auxiliary battery in that document, which might mean why gas XLEs aren't working. I did some wire tracing on the passenger side and found an empty A B C relay sockets (Post 232 above), the passenger side footwell light travels to this in a big bundle. I was hoping someone with a gas model with heated seats could post if their sockets have relays in them.

221 - 240 of 246 Posts