Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Without the proper wiring diagram, guessing can lead to some expensive damage. Damaging the control unit can be a very expensive repair. Someone must have a friend who works at a dealership who can print the few pages of the electrical diagrams. Does anyone know of sources where one cam purchase the software for 2019’s? I’ve seen it on eBay but it’s for 2018 and older models.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
184 Posts
Without the proper wiring diagram, guessing can lead to some expensive damage. Damaging the control unit can be a very expensive repair. Someone must have a friend who works at a dealership who can print the few pages of the electrical diagrams. Does anyone know of sources where one cam purchase the software for 2019’s? I’ve seen it on eBay but it’s for 2018 and older models.
I do not have access to the diagrams for the gas XLE model, but I have hooked my car up to Techstream and found that all features for lighting are enabled by default in the main body ECU. I've toggled the setting for footwell lights on and off a few times, but no change in the footwell LEDs. It is most likely a relay somewhere.

I feel like the key to figuring this out may just be as simple as getting our hands on the non-hybrid interior lights wiring diagram. Probably for an Adventure or another gas trim that has the footwell lights installed at the factory.

I think if I had some spare cash kicking around I'd sign up for a short subscription and just download everything I could on wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Holy smokes, I think I figured it out guys! The footwell and cubby lights are actually hot in the XLE! They just are not grounded! I used a 12v PC molex connector and PC LED light cord to jerry rig a make shift harness for the OEM LED. The positive wire I connected to the footwell light cable in the vehicle the other end I touched to an unpainted bolt nearby and lo and behold my footwell light sprung to life!

The question now is is it possible to install a ground to the existing car wiring safely? Any ideas from the more electrician based minds?

Forgive the crappy photo, I had to jamb the light into that wire jumble so I could hold the camera and ground with the other hand. 😂

·
Registered
184 Posts
Further amazingness. I connected another light, this one to the upper mystery harness I found a few weeks ago which is most likely for the driver side storage tray, and that LED also lights up when I ground my lower footwell jerry rigged harness!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welp, bubble bursted. After closing the door and the interior dome lights fade off the footwell lights remain illuminated. They don’t ever seem to turn off. So I guess grounding the existing circuit is off the table unless I’m missing something.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Rav4
35 Posts
Welp, bubble bursted. After closing the door and the interior dome lights fade off the footwell lights remain illuminated. They don’t ever seem to turn off. So I guess grounding the existing circuit is off the table unless I’m missing something.
I believe that RAV4s keep power going for a minute or 2 after you turn off the car and lock it. I’d confirm this if I were you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went out and checked just now after car has been sitting for ~2 hours. Still illuminated, smart key left out of range so as to not trigger the walk up illumination.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I feel like we are close to figuring this out! It has kinda become an unhealthy obsession for me though. :p

·
Registered
320 Posts
I went out and checked just now after car has been sitting for ~2 hours. Still illuminated, smart key left out of range so as to not trigger the walk up illumination.
I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams for the 4.5 gen much, I did download a couple, but on my 2011 most of the ambient lighting that was controlled by the BCM was switched on the ground, not on power. It's easier to pull low or high on a ground than a power side of a circuit. So if you have power present, and no ground, I would assume that the lighting is not active in the software. See if you can get into techstream and enable the lighting.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Rav4
35 Posts
That’s good though. It’s what helps this community thrive and grow! If I can assist with anything let me know, or if your ever around SouthEast FL, we could meet up!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you try continuity checking the wiring back to that relay? If it needs ground, it's probably ground switched (and connected to the computer) but it just might be connected through that relay socket. Alternatively, you could try just buying the relay and seeing if it solves it, but I don't generally recommend randomly buying fuses and relays.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well... Stuff happened. I disconnected the battery, tore apart the dash and removed the Main body ECU and junction block. I tested the continuity of all of the interior footwell lights and grounds and from the ECU FSPT pin A-26 and junction block and current flows through every connector along the way from the ECU to the JB down through the harnesses and eventually to the footwell and console light connectors. Interesting aside, the passenger harness for the cubby light and the harness for the cup holder light are absent. The pins exist from the ECU for the passenger cubby but the connecting harness has no wires. The cup holder light travels to the driver side junctions next to The door sill harnesses but again the pins and wires are missing. Just an interesting observation I noted during my circuit tracing.

So, knowing the circuits are all conducting that leaves me to believe the main body ECU has some kind of systems check and if certain components are missing (Ex cold weather package ECU) it must turn off pins to things like footwell lights to “save energy/mpg” since that level trim should not have things like footwell lights, even though the setting is enabled in Techstream. That’s just an uneducated guess but I’m not sure what else could explain it. It appears that every trim of the 2019 RAV4 uses the same part number for the main body ECU so I doubt it is a lack of the “logic” of the ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you splice ground wire to your door switch, it should turn off .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Splicing a switched ground to the door switch wouldn't make sense.

Essentially the ground should be connected when the doors are open and disconnected when the doors are closed.

The factory footwell light behavior is that the footwell lights illuminate when the vehicle is running and the lights are on, or the doors are open, so effectively you would only have part of the functionality by splicing the door switch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
109 Posts
I have used a volt meter and I even have the OEM LEDs from Toyota but sadly, no voltage. It does seem to work on every Hybrid trim that has the wiring in place though from what I have read, so I'm willing to bet you would be OK. The only lower trim gas models that have both the wiring and working are the ones with the "Cold Weather Package". I have an XLE without that package and no bueno.
You were correct, my XLE Hybrid had all wiring needed. I installed the footwell and center cubby light on Friday. Everything went relatively smoothly. My center console tray appears to be out of alignment. I'll need to take apart the panels again and try to reset the center console tray. Overall, happy with the lights.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Premium
21 Posts
Ah ok, thanks that makes sense! So it seems 4A 36/37 and 4D 25/27 are indeed the connectors, 4D seems to be more on the dome light fuse side of the circuit and 4A seems to be the ECU side of the circuit? Too bad I can't get to them since they are in the back.

I think I've gone as far as I can go for now. Thanks again for all the replies and help! Maybe one day someone will figure out this mystery. Or maybe I'll just have another RAV4 with all the crap I want already installed from the factory. 😋
I think your chasing a rabbit you can't catch. :ROFLMAO: I truely applaud you for what you are doing to figure this out so don't take this wrong.

In another post you found that indeed the wires has current but the footwell lights are still not working. I have a xle prem and have no wring harness on either side. Mine was made in Japan. I am going to just hook up to the dome circuit instead. I will get a 2 day tis sub and pull the xle prem wiring diagram and find the wires. I will share them here once I do. True they will go on and off with the dome light. I really don't need them to be all the time. If I can't find the gas and brake pedal with no lights in the footwell, I don't need to be driving. :D

I think that's the best route to take. At least for me.

Here is a post that a guy added footwell lights to his 2007 4runner. He goes into great detail. Can convert it to the rav once the wires are figured out.

Toyota 4Runner Footwell Led Lighting Mod

Wiring starts about mid page.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think your chasing a rabbit you can't catch. :ROFLMAO: I truely applaud you for what you are doing to figure this out so don't take this wrong.
Haha, those waskawy wabbits! All of my life I’ve enjoyed tearing things down to see how they work and put them back together. This was a royal PITA but I enjoyed the experience. 😎

I ended up installing a fuse tap on the power outlet fuse and for now just installed the center tray light. That’s the main thing I was after since it is hard to see the stuff I threw on the tray when I’m getting out at night. It draws such little current and isn’t really noticeable in the day that it doesn’t bother me that it’s on all the time.

Eventually I will do the foot wells too and maybe even both dash cubbies. I will probably tap the map light bulbs so the foot wells only turn on when someone pushes the map light for their respective side and also when entering\exiting the vehicle.

It will just be one of those mysteries why all of the existing harnesses for the LED lights are wired correctly but don’t work. 🤔

261 - 280 of 292 Posts