Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XLE Premium
21 Posts
This is how I plan to install the footwell lights. I'm going to hook them up to the ILE to the negative side of the footlights pin 29 on 4D and postive side to pin 10 on 4D. This way they will go on and off with the illumination. Anyone think there will be a problem with the lights?

Looking at @WillRav4Tacos photo from post 275 of 4D, the wires match up with the diagram.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You were correct, my XLE Hybrid had all wiring needed. I installed the footwell and center cubby light on Friday. Everything went relatively smoothly. My center console tray appears to be out of alignment. I'll need to take apart the panels again and try to reset the center console tray. Overall, happy with the lights.
Just curious, is to easy to see where the footwell harness ends—not on the lights but on the supply side. Is there a plug the rest of us might be able to tap into if we find the right harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
109 Posts
Just curious, is to easy to see where the footwell harness ends—not on the lights but on the supply side. Is there a plug the rest of us might be able to tap into if we find the right harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Unfortunately, I don't recall. If I recall reading previous post correctly, I believe most variations of the rav4 have the necessary harness for the the footwell lights, but on non-hybrid trims, the harness doesn't have power supplied. Meaning, even if you plug in the footwell lights, they will not turn on.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
184 Posts
This is how I plan to install the footwell lights. I'm going to hook them up to the ILE to the negative side of the footlights pin 29 on 4D and postive side to pin 10 on 4D. This way they will go on and off with the illumination. Anyone think there will be a problem with the lights?

Looking at @WillRav4Tacos photo from post 275 of 4D, the wires match up with the diagram.

If you want the footwells to dim and brighten like they do OEM you need to tap Harness 4A, Wire 36 or 37 and Harness 4D, Wire 25 or 27. If you go this route it should in theory work as long as your ECU isn't a jerk like mine was. I can't remember if 4A or 4D is the ground on the circuit. There are two wires per harness because for some reason Toyota decided the drivers side foot well has an entire wire on the harness to itself, while cupholder, dash cubbies and passenger footwell all share the 2nd wire of the harness.

I had the harnesses in place in my 2019 XLE and they were correctly wired to the pins in the ECU and junction block, however the ECU refused to send power on the circuit, even though it was enabled in Techstream. The pins you need to access are actually part of the junction block assembly that the ECU snaps into. The FSPT pin you see in the wiring diagram is actually where the junction block snaps into the ECU. It kind of looks like an old IDE hard drive plug if you've ever seen one. A long row of pins. The ECU is actually attached to the JB kind of like a sandwich. That single pin is what sends the "logic" and power of the lights to the wiring harness that you need to tap.

Unfortunately you will most likely have to remove the JB and ECU like I did in my post (Post 275) to gain access to the wires. They are on the harnesses on back of the JB/ECU facing the firewall. Just take it slow and steady, there are a lot of tight spaces and harness snaps and a few bolts to remove. Take before pictures so you can reassemble easier. I found each harness was color coded to the plug and also keyed uniquely to help avoid plugging something into the wrong place.

If you just want them on whenever button illumination turns on with the headlights though, you don't need to go to the trouble of removing the JB/ECU. You can actually tap an illumination wire much easier in the driver side door jamb harness. Another forum user sent me a photo of the ILE wire he tapped below.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Premium
21 Posts
Apreciate the info. I really only want them on when you walk up to it or open a door. Other than that, don't want them on. But I plan on doing the light over the wireless charger. Which I plan on hooking up to the headlight switch. Your info will come in handy for that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
exactly where is this door jam harness... obviously in the door jam area but do you have a photo of the interior area that needs to be accessed?

If you want the footwells to dim and brighten like they do OEM you need to tap Harness 4A, Wire 36 or 37 and Harness 4D, Wire 25 or 27. If you go this route it should in theory work as long as your ECU isn't a jerk like mine was. I can't remember if 4A or 4D is the ground on the circuit. There are two wires per harness because for some reason Toyota decided the drivers side foot well has an entire wire on the harness to itself, while cupholder, dash cubbies and passenger footwell all share the 2nd wire of the harness.

I had the harnesses in place in my 2019 XLE and they were correctly wired to the pins in the ECU and junction block, however the ECU refused to send power on the circuit, even though it was enabled in Techstream. The pins you need to access are actually part of the junction block assembly that the ECU snaps into. The FSPT pin you see in the wiring diagram is actually where the junction block snaps into the ECU. It kind of looks like an old IDE hard drive plug if you've ever seen one. A long row of pins. The ECU is actually attached to the JB kind of like a sandwich. That single pin is what sends the "logic" and power of the lights to the wiring harness that you need to tap.

Unfortunately you will most likely have to remove the JB and ECU like I did in my post (Post 275) to gain access to the wires. They are on the harnesses on back of the JB/ECU facing the firewall. Just take it slow and steady, there are a lot of tight spaces and harness snaps and a few bolts to remove. Take before pictures so you can reassemble easier. I found each harness was color coded to the plug and also keyed uniquely to help avoid plugging something into the wrong place.

If you just want them on whenever button illumination turns on with the headlights though, you don't need to go to the trouble of removing the JB/ECU. You can actually tap an illumination wire much easier in the driver side door jamb harness. Another forum user sent me a photo of the ILE wire he tapped below.

View attachment 154155

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
184 Posts
exactly where is this door jam harness... obviously in the door jam area but do you have a photo of the interior area that needs to be accessed?
Another poster took that pic but I believe it's one of the harnesses in this general area.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Premium
21 Posts
I took the plunge today and pulled out the ECU. @WillRav4Tacos was right. It's a pain but not hard. If that makes sense. I ended up jumping off pin 10 and 29 of 4D. They lights go on and off with the illumination. I don't need them to be on all the time.

Didn't take pictures as there are plenty in this thread already.

281 - 292 of 292 Posts