Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i came across a post about the 3 lights being on and the vehicle sent for repairs to the dealership. I experienced EXACT same thing after having my car for ONLY 3 days. I always watch my RPM and speed as monitor fuel consumption. The first thing that happened, which a lot of people may not noticed , the tranny wouldn’t shift in to O/D like it normally did at 45-50 mph. The RPMs around that speed should be about 1200-1300 RPM. Mine stopped doing that. The next morning, while driving on the highway, all 3 lights suddenly turned on. I only had less than 200 kms on my car (had it for 3 days since i bought it). I phoned the dealership and drove the car in next monday morning. The lights were on at all times, so the dealership could easily get the computer codes out of it. At the end of the day they told me that they agreed with me that something was wrong with transmission and they still haven't found the exact problem. They contacted Toyota Tech. Sup. in Japan and they are working on it. By the end of the week, after trying to change a few electro-magnetic clutches in the tranny, the dealership still had not fixed the problem. After driving the vehicle for 20 min, the same problem would occur. Finally, Toyota Japan told them to REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION!!! I'm no joking as this was a month of hell for a new toyota owner.
It took more than 2 weeks to get the new tranny from Japan, and now it's finally fixed. I KNOW there is a bug in the transmission, so people beware. I got a nice settlement from Toyota Canada: they first offered me a brand new car, but could not find the same colour, so i settled with tem for a FREE $3000 extended warranty for 7 years, 200000 kms. Anyways, i thought people should know what i had to go through. If anyone has similar problems, please post. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Toyota seems to be having problems with the new transmissions used in some new models. Wonder if the 5 speed trannies used on the V6 are made by the same plant that makes the 6 speeds used in the Camry :?:

Toyota is recalling one half of one percent of the new 2007 Camry sedans it started building this year for a problem with their six-speed automatic transmissions. Affected vehicles may lose second and sixth gear while the vehicle is on the move within the first 500 miles of use, but the automaker says that the problem won't halt operation of the car.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Sound like you're may be right. Toyota really tried to shut me up, so my problem doesn't get out there. That's why the offered me that Warranty!. The dealer was told by Toyota JAPAN not to even open the tranny for repair any further. There were ordered to pack the tranny in the secure box and ship to Japan. Even they were surprised on how panicky toyota got. The fact is most people wouldn't even know they have a problem until the lights are on.
3 days for the tranny to go bad.... vene Ford doesn't do that. They have a p-roblem with the subtrade who designed and makes them.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as i know the 4cyl. is not new - just a small redesign, where as the 5spd. auto is new and only for the Rav4, so you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Hope this is a isolated problem. Honda and Acura has a lot of problems with their transmissions the last 10 years. As far as I know, Toyota had some minor issues with their transmissions but nothing major. BTW a 7 years extended warrenty for the RAV doesnt cost $3000, we bought ours' for $1000 USD.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! In canada this warranty is 2980 + tax from the dealer.
I saw the invoice. Maybe Toyota Canada inflates it and gives the dealer a discount? Thanks for the reply. In all honesty it's simply disappointing that a new toyota would have such a problems after 3 days of use.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
edar said:
Nice! In canada this warranty is 2980 + tax from the dealer.
I saw the invoice. Maybe Toyota Canada inflates it and gives the dealer a discount? Thanks for the reply. In all honesty it's simply disappointing that a new toyota would have such a problems after 3 days of use.
These policies are a cash cow for dealers. They get a large cut of the amount charged.

Don't know if the other price quoted was a Honda policy or a non-Honda policy.

Usually you can buy one at any time during the normal warranty period. Nice to have if you get it free like you did but normally is not value added.

Its a Dirty Harry thing. "Do you feel lucky punk!"

If you have a repair after the 5 year power train and the 8 year (on some parts) emissions warranty that costs over the amount of the insurance you would have been better off buying the coverage. On the other hand if you never have a problem you could have put the money to good use else where.

Would expect your problem with the tranny is behind you but it is not a way to start a relationship.

·
Registered
165 Posts
summerwind said:
Usually you can buy one at any time during the normal warranty period.
In Canada, there is additional cost when time getting closer and closer to the end of warranty period. I notice it but I didn't take a deep look as I'm not interested in extended warranty especially for Toyota.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
edar..

Regarding your post on the Trans problems and the 3 alert lights coming on...

Did you get a buzzer tone when the alerts came on or did the alerts just turn on without any buzzer to call your attention to the instrument cluster??

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, no buzzer sound at all. Simply strange 5th gear behavior first, and then the 3 lights came on as i was driving. Next morning the lights weren't on at first, but after 20 min of driving they came back on and stayed like that until they changed the transmission.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
edar:
just wondering when your vehicle was manufactured. (it's on the inside of the drivers door)?
My Sport V6 was manuafactured in Jan 06.

Also just curious which dealer is servicing your Rav?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for not replying sooner - was away. Yes, mine is also Jan/06 Production Build. Hope that doesn't scare you :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did any of you who had this problem have a issue with your brakes? I have the same problem w/ the addition of my breaks acting really weird, hissing noise sounds like air releasing from a pump and my breaks seem to not stop as well. It takes more effort

1 - 14 of 14 Posts