Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Ive been a long time lurker but I decided to post because I need some advice

I'm interested in buying a RAV4, after much research I decided I wanted the 4.3 V6 model but I live in Latin America and turns out they never sent it here, so far I've yet to see one V6 where I live, so that's dissapointing

I went to the dealership the other day to check a 4.4 2017, I wanted the simplest model I believe it's the LE, I also enjoy driving manual cars more so that's what I had in mind, that and the fact that the next trim is almost 3K more.

Ideally I walked in looking for this:

EXPECTATIONS: Manual Transmission, 2.5L engine, 4x4, Diesel

After talking to a sales person, he gave me a brochure. And that's when my expectations were not fulfilled :(.

It turns out the manual comes with a 2.0 L engine (3ZR-FE) (I thought it came in 2.5L but that only comes in automatic and it's almost 3K more). Not only that but its a 4x2 no diesel option where I live.

REALITY: Manual, 2.0L engine, 4x2, Gasoline

I've tried getting as much feedback about the car as possible, so talked to as many RAV4 owners as I could (Uberdrivers, acquaintances, people on gas stations) they all agree that its a reliable car, but they also agreed on another thing, bad fuel economy

I've heard horror stories of fuel consumption and I just couldn't believe it. So far most online reviews praise its fuel economycompared to its competitors but owners say otherwise?

I digress, I come to you since I've followed this forum for quite a while now, hopefully you guys can offer some advice. Here are my concerns:

1. What difference should I expect for chosing a 2.0L engine instead of a 2.5L? Is it fuel consumption? Power? I'm not gonna tow boats or anything just moderate driving
  2. How is the fuel consumption on the 2016+ model? Is it as bad as they claim it to be?
  3. Are there any disadvantages of chosing a manual? For those who own one how has your experience been?
  4. Just how "basic" is the LE model? Do I miss out a lot? The salesperson says yes (of course), but I prefer to hear it from you guys
  5. Is the 4x2 much different than the 4x4 model? I don't really see this RAV as an offroad vehicle but I'd like to know just how much am I missing out by chosing a 4x2
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Welcome! The V6 sold in North America was the 3.5, and no manual transmission has been available with any engine since the 2006 RAVs were produced. Nor has there been any diesel option in North America, so since this forum is North America - based there may be limited help here, and that is only because we do have some members in Europe and other places where the RAVs you have mentioned are sold. You probably would get more help on a European - based RAV forum since what you are looking for is sold there, for example: RAV4 Drivers Club ... There are other forums as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2017 last December for my wife. It is an LE and 2.5 engine, automatic w/AWD. I put it in the ECO mode and have left it there. We drive modestly and like to see the green 'eco' light on which lets me know I am getting the best mileage. We have gotten up to 29 mpg and average about 27 in the 1700 miles we have driven so far; some of it in snow. It has cruise control and I use it on the highway.The XLE has the directional lights on the mirrors, power seats, heated mirrors and you can get heated seats and some other top shelf creature comforts but as I have always said, the more options you have, the more they can break. I like it simple and the LE has more on it than any other vehicle I have ever had. I have been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage and like the size and comfort.

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
No 2.0l engine is offered in North America at all much less a manual transmission as Blogson pointed out.

I would think the 2.0l as adequate and even more so with a manual tranny. I know nothing of horror stories concerning fuel consumption even with the 2.5l four cylinder available here. My V-6 averages 20 mpg in town and has gotten 28.9 mpg on pure highway runs. That's with the air conditioner on the vast majority of the year. Texas isn't known for its mild summers

A 2.0 with a manual would far exceed those numbers easily. Obviously it would not have the instant acceleration of the V-6 but that's not its purpose.

Reactions: Blogson
1 - 4 of 4 Posts