Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t have any regrets yet but the time will tell. When we were shopping for a RAV4 hybrid, we were debating between XLE hybrid and XSE hybrid. Although we are happy with our XSE, not sure if it was worth $4000 uptick given no major functional and performance differences. I bought a Prime SE because it seemed like a pragmatic choice. For those who own SE, any regrets or affirmations?

·
Registered
520 Posts
No regrets here. I don't need all the bells and whistles, I do not like factory GPS units, and I specifically don't want the 19" wheels because I drive several miles on gravel roads every day. In fact, I would have opted for 17" wheels if that would have been an option.
So no, no regrets here at all. I prefer the extra money to be invested. But everybody is different, that's why there are options. 🙂👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
246 Posts
No, the SE is plenty loaded and plenty pricey. The best value is almost always the "low end" model - you get the same engine and chassis (and now almost all the same safety features) as a vehicle that costs 20-40% more sometimes. The "fluff" is not worth it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maybe a little. I'd really like the 1500 watt inverter, espcially now that we know it's a pure sine inverter. I suspect I'd like the better headlights. Ventilated seats might be good. And the bigger charger, while not critical, would be nice. But I don't need the bigger sunroof or stereo system. Or the 19" wheels. Damn, now I need a new car. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maybe a little. I'd really like the 1500 watt inverter, espcially now that we know it's a pure sine inverter. I suspect I'd like the better headlights. Ventilated seats might be good. And the bigger charger, while not critical, would be nice. But I don't need the bigger sunroof or stereo system. Or the 19" wheels. Damn, now I need a new car. :)
Except for the wheels all that stuff is optional on the XSE.
For me I think the jump for SE with weather to XSE with weather was worth it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Except for the wheels all that stuff is optional on the XSE.
For me I think the jump for SE with weather to XSE with weather was worth it.
I'm not sure what you mean, but Toyota does not offer those items a la carte. You have to buy the premium package, which means you also have to buy the audio package.

I also concluded that the XSE with weather was not a bad deal. The next step up (audio), seemed like a waste of money to me. But you need to buy it to get to the step beyond it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If I could, I would have paid the difference to get a Prime XSE fully loaded. But work vehicle, my only options were color and weather package for the SE.

According to NADA, the difference is small $7,420 MSRP. (Essentially the $7,250 Fed Tax Cr.)
SE w/ weather (the only option package available) = $41,090 MSRP
Fully loaded XSE PREMIUM (Weather + JBL Radio + Premium) = $48,510 MSRP

However, the differences in features is large.
*6.6kW charger (retrofitting a base SE or non Premium XSE will cost at least $1789 for the 6.6kW charger alone. Other parts may be required too. No guarantee it will work, but it should).
*Kick Sensor on rear hatch/door (At least $250 to retrofit; see this part lists post.)
*Smart Key button on ALL DOORS!
*Front passenger power seat [4way adjustment only though :( ]
*Heated & Ventilated FRONT seats (Driver & Passenger)
*Parking assist
*Birds Eye View

Indifferent w/ these features:
*panoramic moonroof
*1500W inverter in trunk (this will probably appeal to campers)

HATE the JBL!!!! Just charge $500 for a head unit w/ 4 pre-amp outputs! This will make install of amps easier & better.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean, but Toyota does not offer those items a la carte. You have to buy the premium package, which means you also have to buy the audio package.

I also concluded that the XSE with weather was not a bad deal. The next step up (audio), seemed like a waste of money to me. But you need to buy it to get to the step beyond it.
Right. I was just saying SE vs XSE. It’s not like when you buy the XSE you get all those things. You still have to buy the premium package on top of it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If I could, I would have paid the difference to get a Prime XSE fully loaded. But work vehicle, my only options were color and weather package for the SE.

According to NADA, the difference is small $7,420 MSRP.
SE w/ weather (the only option package available) = $41,090 MSRP
Fully loaded XSE PREMIUM (Weather + JBL Radio + Premium) = $48,510 MSRP

However, the differences in features is large.
*6.6kW charger (retrofitting a base SE or non Premium XSE will cost at least $1789 for the 6.6kW charger alone. Other parts may be required too. No guarantee it will work, but it should).
*Kick Sensor on rear hatch/door (At least $250 to retrofit; see this part lists post.)
*Smart Key button on ALL DOORS!
*Front passenger power seat [4way adjustment only though :( ]
*Heated & Ventilated FRONT seats (Driver & Passenger)
*Parking assist
*Birds Eye View

Indifferent w/ these features:
*panoramic moonroof
*1500W inverter in trunk (this will probably appeal to campers)

HATE the JBL!!!! Just charge $500 for a head unit w/ 4 pre-amp outputs! This will make install of amps easier & better.

View attachment 167860
View attachment 167861
It's all relative. $7,420 is a huge difference for me, that's almost 25% more than what I'll end up paying for my SE after the rebates.
Invested over 30 years in the S&P500, that $7,420 will grow to $130,000. :oops: :ROFLMAO:
This shows how we all look at things differently, and it's good that way. That's why there are these options .... (y)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife wanted a Prime XSE over a SE but when I told her about the $6000 price difference, then she said just invest that money in her Roth IRA. I think that $6000 investiment will be worth something later but if you were to spend $6000 for XSE upgrade, I doubt you will get that money back.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It's all relative. $7,420 is a huge difference for me, that's almost 25% more than what I'll end up paying for my SE after the rebates.
Invested over 30 years in the S&P500, that $7,420 will grow to $130,000. :oops: :ROFLMAO:
This shows how we all look at things differently, and it's good that way. That's why there are these options .... (y)
The $7,250 Fed Tax Cr would essentially cover the XSE Premium upgrade.

Yes, people will spend or invest as they please.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I got the XSE Prime with the weather package only. I didn't want the JBL Audio, Toyota Navigation or anything in the Premium package except the Parking assist with Automatic Braking. I can install After Market Parking Assist myself. My XSE was $2,500 more than a similarly equipped SE Prime.
But I got these extras over the SE: the Toyota App works to remotely control charging departure time so I can change it each day if necessary. I like the nineteen inch wheels (I didn't like the SE wheels). I like the Vertical LED accent lights. I like the Two-Tone Exterior Color and Black Rear View Mirrors. I especially like the Softex Seats (I'm not a fan of cloth seats). I like having the A/C Vents in the center of the car. I wanted the Dynamic Grid lines when backing up. I wanted the Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control instead of just the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. I like having the blue ambient lighting too. I wanted the rear view mirror with HomeLink and Auto-dimming. I think the Audio Plus with a nine inch screen a nice included upgrade.
Though mathematically not worth the extra dollars I paid, I'm very happy with my XSE. And I got to make my wife happy too. Priceless.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got the XSE Prime with the weather package only. I didn't want the JBL Audio, Toyota Navigation or anything in the Premium package except the Parking assist with Automatic Braking. I can install After Market Parking Assist myself. My XSE was $2,500 more than a similarly equipped SE Prime.
But I got these extras over the SE: the Toyota App works to remotely control charging departure time so I can change it each day if necessary. I like the nineteen inch wheels (I didn't like the SE wheels). I like the Vertical LED accent lights. I like the Two-Tone Exterior Color and Black Rear View Mirrors. I especially like the Softex Seats (I'm not a fan of cloth seats). I like having the A/C Vents in the center of the car. I wanted the Dynamic Grid lines when backing up. I wanted the Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control instead of just the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. I like having the blue ambient lighting too. I wanted the rear view mirror with HomeLink and Auto-dimming. I think the Audio Plus with a nine inch screen a nice included upgrade.
Though mathematically not worth the extra dollars I paid, I'm very happy with my XSE. And I got to make my wife happy too. Priceless.
That makes sense.
I think I would have gone the same route if I could have configured the base XSE without the 19" wheels.

I am confused though about your cruise control comment. Both SE and XSE list the same "Full Speed Range Cruise" when configuring on Toyota's built website. Is that not correct?

·
Registered
555 Posts
That makes sense.
I think I would have gone the same route if I could have configured the base XSE without the 19" wheels.

I am confused though about your cruise control comment. Both SE and XSE list the same "Full Speed Range Cruise" when configuring on Toyota's built website. Is that not correct?
Just quoting from the Specs. SE on top, XSE on bottom:
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Electric blue

and does the SE have Lane Tracing Assist?

·
Registered
586 Posts
That makes sense.

Yes, both have the same cruise control. There was a mistake on the toyota website originally. Also, the SE has a center AC vent, just no way to shut it off.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
246 Posts
No, that's bad math. You get the (same) tax credit in either case (SE or XSE), so the $7,420 price difference is still there.
I'm with you. Yep, money is fungible.
Rough prices for the models:
SE - 7500/40000 = 19%
XSE - 7500/50000 = 15%
only a 4% difference, right? Nope, try 4/19 - 21% difference, when comparing the tax credit for an SE vs XSE.

An SE is 90% of the car of an XSE, yet 25% less.
*this is how I run numbers comparing models and vehicles - YMMV for people who want "premium" features

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just quoting from the Specs. SE on top, XSE on bottom:
View attachment 167866

and does the SE have Lane Tracing Assist?
The SE has the full range cruise control also, according to the full specs when you build one.
And my SE has it, if I understand the term "full range cruise control" correctly.

I am with you on these items though:
  • two tone paint
  • homelink auto dimming mirror (especially since my garage door opener on the visor is the only thing that rattles, LOL)
  • 9" screen
  • grid lines

I personally was on the edge if that's worth $2.5k. I ended up deciding against it because of the 19" wheels. Now thinking about it after the fact: this would have given me justification to splurge on 17" or 18" aftermarket wheels, but that in itself would have added at least another $1,000. Decisions, decisions ....

1 - 20 of 100 Posts