21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm with you. Yep, money is fungible.
Rough prices for the models:
SE - 7500/40000 = 19%
XSE - 7500/50000 = 15%
only a 4% difference, right? Nope, try 4/19 - 21% difference, when comparing the tax credit for an SE vs XSE.

An SE is 90% of the car of an XSE, yet 25% less.
*this is how I run numbers comparing models and vehicles - YMMV for people who want "premium" features
Yep.
For me, after all credits, the calculation is this:
7500/31500 = 23.8%. I get a full $10k in combined state / fed credits, so my bottom line cost is only a little under $31,500.

·
Registered
870 Posts
No, that's bad math. You get the (same) tax credit in either case (SE or XSE), so the $7,420 price difference is still there.

The fed tax credit is $7,500, right?
My bad. You are correct the Fed Tax Cr is $7,500, NOT $7,250.

Yes the purchase difference will exist. And yes, the XSE Premium will always be more than an SE or SE w/ weather. The Tax Cr would essentially be paying for the XSE Premium upgrade. yes, the XSE Premium would obviously be more expensive than a SE or SE Weather, after their respective Tax Cr.

But, the XSE Premium offers a lot of features that the SE lacks. The 6.6kW charger alone would cost $1,789, to attempt to upgrade on the SE. But you will still be missing out on a ton of other features that a XSE Premium has that an SE won’t have. $7420-$1789=$5,631 difference to get the remaining features that an SE won’t have. That $5,631 is a ton of features BTW.

Bottom line. People will spend their money as they see fit. Go budget SE no options, thats fine. Go XSE Premium (fully loaded), that’s fine too. Do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry, don’t understand where 4/19 and 21% is coming from.
Would appreciate the details.

The other numbers understandable.
It's 24% for me, because of the state incentive that I get.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The SE has the Full-Speed Range DRCC. It will crawl in a traffic jam. If you come to a full stop, you have to tap the accelerator or push one of the cruise control buttons. (I still have not figured out which one.) I think it will even come to a full stop for just a second or so, and keep going, but any "real" stop and you have to give it a push, so to speak.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bottom line. People will spend their money as they see fit. Go budget SE no options, thats fine. Go XSE Premium (fully loaded), that’s fine too. Do what makes you happy.
Right. To be honest, many people buying a RAV4 Prime could save even more money and do just fine with a Prius Prime or Prius AWDe or an even less expensive vehicle. Others are happy to spend more for larger capacity or luxury features like say an X7 45e or Model X or whatever. There's always something cheaper that would work just fine and something more expensive that has more stuff or looks sharper, even if it's not as good a value;-)

For me, I'd have been happy saving money on an SE as it had everything I needed. I don't like black pleather seats that aren't ventilated, so my other option was XSE Premium. I'll be happy to get either one in the Midwest. None of the XSE/Premium features are essential for me, but a lot of those listed sure are nice. Plus, I do really appreciate the HUD, adaptive headlights, rear cross traffic braking and bird's eye cam. I also like the 19" wheels, but on the other hand the 18" tires likely make for a slightly better ride comfort. The other stuff like the faster charger, pano roof, JBL, homelink digital mirror and AC outlet are more icing on the cake for me, but to each their own!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone had an opportunity to drive both the SE and XSE, do they drive differently on normal streets? Looks like many people prefer the 18" because it drives better than the 19" wheels?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anyone had an opportunity to drive both the SE and XSE, do they drive differently on normal streets? Looks like many people prefer the 18" because it drives better than the 19" wheels?
All else equal, which it rarely is, the general thought is that a narrower sidewall profile tends to sacrifice some ride comfort for improved handling. I have driven XSE Prime with 19" and a hybrid limited with 18". Honestly, they didn't seem much different. Both seemed pretty typical for compact SUVs in terms of handling, both were better than average for the class in terms of ride comfort and soaking up bumps and ruts and such. I have not driven SE Prime.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don’t have any regrets yet but the time will tell. When we were shopping for a RAV4 hybrid, we were debating between XLE hybrid and XSE hybrid. Although we are happy with our XSE, not sure if it was worth $4000 uptick given no major functional and performance differences. I bought a Prime SE because it seemed like a pragmatic choice. For those who own SE, any regrets or affirmations?
No regrets for me after buying my SE. For me, Super White is the best color, and it's only available on the SE. I specifically didn't want a moonroof, and that saved me $1,600; again, only available on the SE. The Port added the floor & cargo mat option (which I wanted) and the wheel locks (which I didn't want, but for $65 was OK). Then, I added the OEM mud flaps and EcoHitch & wiring myself. Ended up with the perfect package (for me), and at the lowest cost.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
366 Posts
No regrets for me after buying my SE. For me, Super White is the best color, and it's only available on the SE. I specifically didn't want a moonroof, and that saved me $1,600; again, only available on the SE. The Port added the floor & cargo mat option (which I wanted) and the wheel locks (which I didn't want, but for $65 was OK). Then, I added the OEM mud flaps and EcoHitch & wiring myself. Ended up with the perfect package (for me), and at the lowest cost.
jealous Would love to have skipped the moonroof also! Could never find that though, despite a long search. $1665 for an option I didn't want - oh well, at least these should hold their resale value well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have not driven both but the XSE does have a larger turning radius compared to the SE. Both are quite a bit more than my gen 4.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It is sufficed to say that as long as I don't buy any Toyota from Stevinson Toyota East and West (Aurora and Lakewood, CO), I will have no regrets. You should have seen the profanity laced private message from that girl (Denee) from Stevinson’s Toyota. She works for that dealership.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime
120 Posts
The only 2, well maybe 3 features we wanted were the seat memory, two tone paint and the bigger charger. The charger would only work on public systems and typical use is easily charged over night on standard setup. And to get the seat memory was the all in mode, which when buying this car and thinking about the economics of it, didn’t make sense. That being said, if the right one was on the lot, we may have gone all in.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
149 Posts
I got an XSE but would have preferred SE. I had ordered in April 2020 and had to wait 8 months for a vehicle, so I ended up taking what was available. I like the sunroof and the seats, but don't like the power liftgate and big wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the SE and I will be making a few aftermarket upgrades to it to kind of have a Rav4 Prime SE+. The XSE was crazy mark ups everywhere I called so I figured I will purchase the SE and add things to it from the aftermarket that I wanted that came factory on the XSE. Will take some labor hours and some time to source and find parts for it, but Ill be able to customize the SE the way I want and save some money at the same time.
For example, I wanted leather seats so I purchased the Clazzio Seat covers for it for $350 (which look great and people cant believe they are actually seat covers). Looking to upgrade the sound system for the front doors and top speakers, which looks like it'll be another $200 or so. After that will add fog lights. Also looking into adding a remote phone starter and door lock/unlock from 12voltsolutions which is another $400. Of course, these wont be as good as factory installed options but it will still provide a decent update to the SE trim. Also a negative side to doing something like this is when it comes to resale of the vehicle, a buyer wont pay extra for these added aftermarket features, so you are kind of doing it for yourself. That is why I am trying to shop around and try to find the best deals on the things I want to try and save some $$.
So even though I think I would have preferred some of the XSE features but at the time, the SE was a way better deal and I had just sold my previous vehicle so I had to make a decision pretty quickly.
So I think if you have some regrets that you did not get the XSE, most of the features you can get from the aftermarket and upgrade you SE. Of course some things you cant get like the panoramic roof, so if something like that is very important to you, then you should hold out and wait for the XSE. But overall I like the SE, its features, and the fact that it was $41k for what it comes with. The range is great. Charging is fast enough for me with our Tesla level 2 charger with an adapter. Cant really think of too many negatives besides this stupid front suspension "clunk/thud" over speedbumps lol but that's another story.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts