Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
wow that’s rare to not have any packages.
It really is. My local dealer seems to get a lot of SE’s in but almost always have the weather and moonroof package. I have seen one or two without it, but like you said it is very rare.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Love my SE with moonroof. Honestly do not missing anything else available. The Canadian version of the SE with 6.6kwh would be nice (don't need the power trunk) but no regrets over not getting XSE

·
Registered
389 Posts
We also "ordered" our Prime SE without any packages, though it showed up with the "weather" package that had the rubber mats and cargo mat that we paid ca. $250 for, which was fine. So we paid just over $39k USD MSRP for our SE (and just over $30k after government rebates/credits, not incl. sales tax), and we could not be happier that we ordered nothing else because we saved lots of money and because the SE comes standard with so many things that even Porsches do not (like adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitor, and heated seats). In fact, we're considering buying a second RAV4 Prime (one for my wife and one for me), and it would be the same: unoptioned SE trim, only (won't consider anything more, in fact, as to us it's just not worth the extra money). When the top-trim RAV4 Primes cost nearly as much as (or even more than, with some people paying well over MSRP) a new Porsche Macan, I'm rather confused about that (because I'd pick the Porsche every time once you're in the $50k vicinity). [P.S.: several posters to this thread mention the 6.6-kW charger; we have no problem with the lesser charger, plugging in at night to get a full charge on 120 volts in our garage by the next morning, so we don't need anything more. Also, it's interesting to see numerous posters here mentioning that they prefer smaller wheels/tires than 19 inches -- as do I, for better sidewall stability and just cheaper costs all around in replacement.]

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
270 Posts
^agreed - I'm looking into "ordering" a non-moonroofed 2022. Was annoyed that there were no actual "base" model SEs when I purchased (didn't wait).
I'm not that old, yet remember used car ads "Loaded - PS, PW, PDL, CC"

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a recent SE with moon roof and weather package owner, I'd do the SE again. I do wish the 6.6KW charger and factory inverter were available, but not at the huge markup to a XSE pp. I'd actually decline an XSE even at no markup because I don't want to live with 19" low profile tires. Low profile tires are a very regrettable auto fashion trend for people that go much on unpaved roads or even on paved roads with road hazards like raised manholes or broken pavement due to the much less protection the short sidewalls give to the wheels. I'm actually considering some of the 17" wheels discussed elsewhere as opposed to keeping the 18" on my SE. The somewhat reduced handling crispness of taller sidewalls is a small price to pay as opposed to the extra flats and damaged wheels low profile tires suffer driving outside of metro areas. This is even a bigger consideration with the heavier curb weights of EVs. Teslas in particular suffer all kinds of tire breakdowns and roadside assistance calls, made even worse by their lack of a spare tire. Our R4Ps aren't as super heavy, but I still would rather avoid heading in that direction of inadequate tires relative to road hazards and heavy vehicle weight.

I have never had a moonroof before and never would have ordered one had not all the SEs I saw (only 2 in transit, none at all in stock) already had it. The heated seats, etc. are nice though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
We also "ordered" our Prime SE without any packages, though it showed up with the "weather" package that had the rubber mats and cargo mat that we paid ca. $250 for, which was fine. So we paid just over $39k USD MSRP for our SE (and just over $30k after government rebates/credits, not incl. sales tax), and we could not be happier that we ordered nothing else because we saved lots of money and because the SE comes standard with so many things that even Porsches do not (like adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitor, and heated seats). In fact, we're considering buying a second RAV4 Prime (one for my wife and one for me), and it would be the same: unoptioned SE trim, only (won't consider anything more, in fact, as to us it's just not worth the extra money). When the top-trim RAV4 Primes cost nearly as much as (or even more than, with some people paying well over MSRP) a new Porsche Macan, I'm rather confused about that (because I'd pick the Porsche every time once you're in the $50k vicinity). [P.S.: several posters to this thread mention the 6.6-kW charger; we have no problem with the lesser charger, plugging in at night to get a full charge on 120 volts in our garage by the next morning, so we don't need anything more. Also, it's interesting to see numerous posters here mentioning that they prefer smaller wheels/tires than 19 inches -- as do I, for better sidewall stability and just cheaper costs all around in replacement.]
I totally agree. Hence I too went with the SE with weather. Because you have to get the weather. Otherwise it’s near impossible to get any car.

I wouldn’t get the XSE with premium package. At that price I would get another Macan. We already own a Macan S fully loaded in the family and at $50k doesn’t matter if it has “less options” like missing adaptive cruise etc. I’ll get a Macan hands down.

Anyway. I do not regret getting an SE and I will get it again.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
717 Posts
As a recent SE with moon roof and weather package owner, I'd do the SE again. I do wish the 6.6KW charger and factory inverter were available, but not at the huge markup to a XSE pp. I'd actually decline an XSE even at no markup because I don't want to live with 19" low profile tires. Low profile tires are a very regrettable auto fashion trend for people that go much on unpaved roads or even on paved roads with road hazards like raised manholes or broken pavement due to the much less protection the short sidewalls give to the wheels. I'm actually considering some of the 17" wheels discussed elsewhere as opposed to keeping the 18" on my SE. The somewhat reduced handling crispness of taller sidewalls is a small price to pay as opposed to the extra flats and damaged wheels low profile tires suffer driving outside of metro areas. This is even a bigger consideration with the heavier curb weights of EVs. Teslas in particular suffer all kinds of tire breakdowns and roadside assistance calls, made even worse by their lack of a spare tire. Our R4Ps aren't as super heavy, but I still would rather avoid heading in that direction of inadequate tires relative to road hazards and heavy vehicle weight.

I have never had a moonroof before and never would have ordered one had not all the SEs I saw (only 2 in transit, none at all in stock) already had it. The heated seats, etc. are nice though.
Front heated seats are already on the SE without the weather package. The rears are of no value to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts

This is where I'm at. I've had my SE w/Weather for a week. Only regrets:

-3.3kw charger is a let down
-Toyota Telematics are a complete joke. The App is useless. I not only don't use the app, I told Toyota to cancel the entire Connected Services suite including Safety Connect. They data mine and all I get is a 911 call and see my odometer and gas tank status in the app--not even charge state. Really?
-Lack of homelink rear view auto dim mirror.

But, worth it to avoid the Softex (which is nice, I just prefer cloth), the 19" wheels, and thousands extra in cost. Normal sunroof is plenty fine for me.

My XLE Hybrid before was more nicely equipped for sure -- but this Prime has been a great experience so far except for what was listed above. No huge want for the XSE right now.

·
Registered
2021 R4P XSE, Premium, SS Red
58 Posts
If we were to ask Prime XSE owners, the majority of XSE owners would say they are happy with the purchase.
Absolutely! You hit the nail right on the head. While no one option is worth the price difference, the collective enhancements that come with the XSE PP have given me the car I'd always hoped for.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I totally agree. Hence I too went with the SE with weather. Because you have to get the weather. Otherwise it’s near impossible to get any car.

I wouldn’t get the XSE with premium package. At that price I would get another Macan. We already own a Macan S fully loaded in the family and at $50k doesn’t matter if it has “less options” like missing adaptive cruise etc. I’ll get a Macan hands down.

Anyway. I do not regret getting an SE and I will get it again.
I also have a Macan (2019, base), as you might have guessed from my comments. Yeah, no way I'd buy a RAV4 Prime XSE at close to $50k over another Macan; even the base Macan puts a smile on my face every time I drive it -- its handles like a sports car in many respects. If Porsche were to make a Macan E-Hybrid, I'd buy it in a heartbeat; as it stands now, I'm so in love with plug-in vehicles that I'm considering trading in the Macan in a year or so for a Cayenne E-Hybrid (probably not another RAV4 Prime SE, but at half the price and twice the EV range, it's going to be in play), and from there to either a Cross Turismo or a Macan BEV in 3-4 years (though by that time there will be so many more enticing BEVs out there to choose from). For many of us, PHEVs like the RAV4 Prime are just the perfect stepping stone to BEVs (once the battery range has improved more and the public-charging infrastructure has become more practical).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also have a Macan (2019, base), as you might have guessed from my comments. Yeah, no way I'd buy a RAV4 Prime XSE at close to $50k over another Macan; even the base Macan puts a smile on my face every time I drive it -- its handles like a sports car in many respects. If Porsche were to make a Macan E-Hybrid, I'd buy it in a heartbeat; as it stands now, I'm so in love with plug-in vehicles that I'm considering trading in the Macan in a year or so for a Cayenne E-Hybrid (probably not another RAV4 Prime SE, but at half the price and twice the EV range, it's going to be in play), and from there to either a Cross Turismo or a Macan BEV in 3-4 years (though by that time there will be so many more enticing BEVs out there to choose from). For many of us, PHEVs like the RAV4 Prime are just the perfect stepping stone to BEVs (once the battery range has improved more and the public-charging infrastructure has become more practical).
At $55k+ and no tax credit, I'd be thinking Model Y for performance, at least for my preferences. Of course, both are much more once you add options while the R4P is loaded at $49K. By the time you can get delivery of a Y LR, they may have the refresh with the new 400+ mile battery packs, too. I'm driving Chicago roads, though, and not tracks, so I appreciate the softer ride and versatility of the R4P at least for right now with the tax credit. CX-5 is another nice option for decent handling in a small SUV at a reasonable price with OK fuel economy for an ICE.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Yeah, no way I'd buy a RAV4 Prime XSE at close to $50k over another Macan; even the base Macan puts a smile on my face every time I drive it -- its handles like a sports car in many respects.
I will give you that Macan is a much better handling SUV compared to RAV4 and other SUVs. With a $7500 federal tax credit, the true RAV4P XSE PP cost is about $42-$43k with no additional options to add. IMHO I don't think Macan base is worth $50k with rather unspectacular MPG rating. I know people buy Porches for different reasons with MPG (and low maintenance cost) not being the primary reason.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I will give you that Macan is a much better handling SUV compared to RAV4 and other SUVs. With a $7500 federal tax credit, the true RAV4P XSE PP cost is about $42-$43k with no additional options to add. IMHO I don't think Macan base is worth $50k with rather unspectacular MPG rating. I know people buy Porches for different reasons with MPG (and low maintenance cost) not being the primary reason.
You are correct about MSRP of the XSE, of course, but if we take some of the huge mark-up prices that people are paying for XSE RAV4 Primes, we are talking closer to $50k even after government credits/rebates. My point is one that others have made: getting into the territory of $45k-$50k is not what most people take as Toyota territory -- more like Lexus or other luxury-car territory, considering the plain-ness of the cabin. (As for MPG on the Macan, I routinely average 29 mpg on the highway driving 70-75 mph on cross-country road trips, which isn't bad for a performance vehicle -- a figure that surprises many including myself.) And don't get me wrong about our RAV4 Prime SE: it's a fabulous performance SUV, considering its torque in EV mode and its all-electric range; in my book, it's by far the best vehicle that Toyota currently makes (at least for North American markets), and I give Toyota a solid A (if not A+) grade for the RAV4 Prime -- and the price we paid after credits/rebates makes our SE Prime an incredible bargain.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
My point is one that others have made: getting into the territory of $45k-$50k is not what most people take as Toyota territory -- more like Lexus or other luxury-car territory, considering the plain-ness of the cabin.
100% agreement on the above point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are correct about MSRP of the XSE, of course, but if we take some of the huge mark-up prices that people are paying for XSE RAV4 Primes, we are talking closer to $50k even after government credits/rebates. My point is one that others have made: getting into the territory of $45k-$50k is not what most people take as Toyota territory -- more like Lexus or other luxury-car territory, considering the plain-ness of the cabin. (As for MPG on the Macan, I routinely average 29 mpg on the highway driving 70-75 mph on cross-country road trips, which isn't bad for a performance vehicle -- a figure that surprises many including myself.)
Don't know if Porsche has been immune, but many vehicles are selling at MSRP or above right now with supply chain issues. If your local dealer sucks and you aren't willing to travel, then of course you might pay more than necessary with any brand. As you know, the R4P ~10K price premium is in the powertrain. After the tax credit, it's a modest price increase from a similarly equipped, comparable trim RAV4/Hybrid. If you don't care about the powertrain or qualify for the tax credit, then of course there are many more options better in one way or another.

If you want luxury with a plug-in powertrain, a similarly equipped X3 30e, Q5e, XC60 Recharge, Corsair GT or new NX 450h+ are all much more once you add the necessary trim/ packages. At least you get a tax credit to help. There's always something that is faster or greener or cheaper or whatever. The R4P is pretty versatile in either trim, though.

If you compare to non-electrified vehicles, obviously there are even more choices if you don't mind using the gas ;-)

·
Registered
250 Posts
no regrets. sold my 2020 rav4 hybrid xse for 39000 and bought a prime se. love those seats better than my xse.
Wow. I would be laughing all the way to the bank even paying $1k over MSRP. I have no idea what you had to give up with the hybrid XSE or how many miles but I would take that trade any day with the $7500 fed funds that go with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow. I would be laughing all the way to the bank even paying $1k over MSRP. I have no idea what you had to give up with the hybrid XSE or how many miles but I would take that trade any day with the $7500 fed funds that go with it.
yep. i put 9700 miles only on hybrid XSE and got back what i paid for with all this supply chain issues going on,

81 - 100 of 108 Posts