Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

for those who own an 06 with keyless entry..

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  flyingn 
#1 ·
I have a question on how yours works. According to the owners manual the doors are sopposed to relock after one minute when you unlock then with the remote.. Mine does not. Does anyone else????

Frank

#5 ·
Yea I did. It says that the defult setting is one minute BUT using a dealer only device to reprogram it this can be cchanged to 30 seconds or no relock.. I cannot make the changes myself.

Shar Pei Puppy said:
Read your owners manual first. It might have a programable feature.
Better to figure it out yourself than to have some kid show you. :oops:

G
#7 ·
flyingn said:
I have a question on how yours works. According to the owners manual the doors are sopposed to relock after one minute when you unlock then with the remote.. Mine does not. Does anyone else????

Frank
Our current Toyota van does this. I find it to be annoying. If I'm trying to get a kid wrangled and into the van... I unlock the door, head for the van, about the time I reach for the door handle... click... there goes the #$%^& auto locking.

I'd advise you to leave it alone.

#8 ·
yea SPE- that what it does.. It never relocks after the one minute when I unlock it.

Buzz- yea I hear that. Our other suv's (XL7) alarm syatem does that.. We had to get use to leaving the drivers door open till we got the truck loaded so the system did not reset and even set the alarm! I don't know. Im gonna have to think about it..

Frank

#9 ·
flyingn
My 2003 lock itself back only if the keyless entry is pressed and no door is open within a minute. It does NOT lock itself when the last door is closed, unlike some alarm system I have seen, that arm themselves after the last door is closed. In the RAV4, at least mine, it will never lock itself once a door is opened. No need to leave a door open. Press the key, open one door, close it again, and the car will not lock itself again.
The whole idea behind the relocking when no door is open is to protect you from unintendely unlocking the car given than the button is on the keychain in your pocket. Prime example, you are working in your office, within range of your car keyless system, the keychain is in your pocket and one of the thousand objects we keep in our pockets press the UNlock button. The car will unlock and you will never know. If the car will not relock itself then you are exposed to have your car open and unlocked to every thief in town. But since the car is expecting you to open a door within a minute, voila, it will lock itself back and you will never know how close you were of losing that precious.
So, think again about getting rid of this. I have seen cars running for hours because their owners forgot to activate the option in the remote starters.

#11 ·
Even my 2000 will re-lock itself if you press the remote and then don't open a door. The button on my remote seems to be fairly easy to press by accident and there have been a couple of times when I've seen the car's lights flash out the front window about a minute after I had been handling the keys. Glad it's smart enough to lock itself again. I'd definitely want this feature working on a new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.