Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Ohh...That is just wild! Love it! As for underboby protection, just leave the mud guards off and bolt a few steel plates under the delicate stuff on the bottom.

Y

·
0 Posts
Heh... that's great. That's quite a bow wave. Full steam ahead!

Pork

PS. An image of the Rav4 leaving the stream would have been equally, if not more, impressive :wink:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Clearly, the blue one can handle deeper waters. Wonder if I get my black one up to the railing? :shock:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The issue is not at all whether or not the vehicle made it through the water crossing - it's:

How much damage was done by water ingestion into wide open tranny and drivetrain vents? I'm sure the testers didn't change the fluids after the crossing.

What is the likelihood of water damage to expensive electrical components, both under the hood and inside the cabin? If the vehicle stalls or drops into a hole the cabin WILL fill with water.

What is the likelihood of water ingestion into the engine itself? Ouch - hydrolock: busted pistons and bent rods, and an expensive tow job.

Ever see the commercial with the Audi A6 quattro speeding through the ocean surf while towing a water skier? They used up SIX brand new A6s to make that 30 second flm, and they scrapped every single one afterward because of actual and potential water damage issues.

I stand by my statements in a previous thread that the RAV isn't off-road worthy. Just because some carefree magazine testers managed to get it through a deep stream doesn't mean that the next time the RAV4 will get across.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
652 Posts
Let's all give a round of applause to Johnny D. for bringing us back to reality. I for one was minutes away from driving my RAV across the Delaware River. The only thing that made me pause was that OC told me the wax I use is crap. You have any idea what that river water can do to the finish?! :egad:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rule of thumb is: no oil is leaking, no water can come in.

Sure, when the level hits the airbox things are different. However, I cannot see water damage to the wide open tranny. How open can a tranny be, btw?

The groundclearance of the audi is smaller and in addition, it doesn't help to drive through salt water, period.

D

·
0 Posts
the RAV4 is more of an AWD rather than a full time 4WD, thereby making it less capable for off-road driving.
crossing the river can really be risky especially when you get stucked or when the need for more torque arises. i'm afraid the RAV4 would be able to handle that.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ROTFLMFAO!! Janos!

I think everyone realizes the potental danger of water crossings John.. It was just interesting to see that..

Janos said:
Let's all give a round of applause to Johnny D. for bringing us back to reality. I for one was minutes away from driving my RAV across the Delaware River. The only thing that made me pause was that OC told me the wax I use is crap. You have any idea what that river water can do to the finish?! :egad:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Raffor said:

Sure, when the level hits the airbox things are different. However, I cannot see water damage to the wide open tranny. How open can a tranny be, btw?
Water will go in where oil does not come out.

Hot wheel bearings cool down when suddenly submerged and create a vacuum, sucking water past the seals. This happens ALL the time to boat trailers, - that's what a Bearing Buddy is for. Ever seen a Bearing Buddy on a car or truck?

Transmissions, differentials, and transfer cases are vented straight to the atmosphere, usually through rubber hoses. If you are lucky the manufacturer may have routed them up high and put some sort of simple splash guard over it. Again, when the component cools suddenly a vacuum is created and in goes the water and suspended grit.

Axle and driveshaft lip seals are designed to keep oil in. When they are subjected to heavy water pressure on the "wrong side" of the lip, the water can seep past.

It is accepted routine to change all drivetrain fluids in your off-road 4x4 after a weekend of deep water crossings, and these vehicles (usually) are specially prepped for the stuff.

It really ticks me off to watch commercials showing stock vehicles busting through deep water - in reality that sort of driving will come back to haunt you in the shop.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hopefully Toyota is listening and the 07's will be amphibious!

·
Registered
771 Posts
driven said:
the RAV4 is more of an AWD rather than a full time 4WD, thereby making it less capable for off-road driving.
Damn! I missed that part in the owners manual. Oh well. Too late to turn back now.

Later. M. :lol:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Big deal, so the RAV can cross a stream. The new Jeep Commander can go under water, have you guys ever seen that commercial?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Raffor said:
No, this is wrong, and is a dangerous thing to think for RAV4 owners.

John is of course raw that puny little 4.3 can go almost everywhere his super-duper Landcruiser can, and so he trolls us with "not off-road worthy" and other offensive stuff. But we should be able to look past that and recognize the substance of his comment. It is true that rapidly cooling diff sucks water in. In fact it's likely that John's truck has factory-installed diff breather extenders - plastic tubes which go up the chassis. They used to do it on real Landcruisers. It is also true that if you rely on a bow wave, getting just one wheel into a hole may make you stall, and then the car will flood. You can easily total your shiny new 4.3 this way, with a just a small lapse of judgement!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts