Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched over and over again on YouTube how the power liftgate opens and closes and it seems that its "very" slow and painful? (I'm sure I can open/close the rear hatch manually way faster than the power liftgate does) I need to open/close the rear hatch/power liftgate at least 5 or 6 times per day and waiting for the hatch to open/close is a major consideration in choosing the 2016 RAV4 with or without the power liftgate.

Can you disable the power liftgate? e.g. should it not working properly or failed, can you still open/close the rear hatch manually?

Reliability - has anyone with the power liftgate for at least few years and not a single trip back to the dealer? and how costly (estimate) it might be to fix a broken power liftgate after the 3 yrs warranty? or can one still operate the rear hatch manually even with a broken power liftgate?

Option - should the power liftgate failed after 3 yrs, can one replace the struts (using those in the base LE trims) and operate them as non power operated liftgate/hatch?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Can you disable the power liftgate? e.g. should it not working properly or failed, can you still open/close the rear hatch manually?
Not that I can figure out.
There is no handle or latch, just a button next to the camera and the remote, plus a button next to the steering wheel and a disable in the glove box.

Reliability - has anyone with the power liftgate for at least few years and not a single trip back to the dealer? and how costly (estimate) it might be to fix a broken power liftgate after the 3 yrs warranty? or can one still operate the rear hatch manually even with a broken power liftgate?
'15 XLE here, about 15k on it, almost a year old and we have not had a single problem with the gate.

Option - should the power liftgate failed after 3 yrs, can one replace the struts (using those in the base LE trims) and operate them as non power operated liftgate/hatch?
Doubtful, given that there is no mechanically operated latch, just the electric latch.
Yes, the latch is separate from the struts, so I would guess that you could electrically release the gate and then open it manually.

The only reports of issues we've seen have been related to the gate closing repeatedly on cargo in a way that "tweaks" the door (or in one case, somehow the body itself was stressed and the door opening was not square.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a button in the glove box that will disable the power liftgate (page 126 in the owner's manual).

I tried this, but it is quite difficult to lift and lower the gate, not as easy as on a model without the power gate. There is an opener switch on the gate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doubtful, given that there is no mechanically operated latch, just the electric latch.
Yes, the latch is separate from the struts, so I would guess that you could electrically release the gate and then open it manually.

The only reports of issues we've seen have been related to the gate closing repeatedly on cargo in a way that "tweaks" the door (or in one case, somehow the body itself was stressed and the door opening was not square.)
I thought the latch was the same type even without the power lift gate. I might be mistaken about that but I know for sure that a newer Camry I've driven had that same latch system(and obviously no power function).

*I'm not trying to argue, just discuss.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No complaints with mine. I push the button to open it when I am 30 feet away when walking to my car and it is up by the time I get there. I push the button to close it, get in the car and it is fully closed by the time I am ready to back up. Sure it may be slower than some other cars out there, but I don't find it to be an inconvenience at all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I watched over and over again on YouTube how the power liftgate opens and closes and it seems that its "very" slow and painful? (I'm sure I can open/close the rear hatch manually way faster than the power liftgate does) I need to open/close the rear hatch/power liftgate at least 5 or 6 times per day and waiting for the hatch to open/close is a major consideration in choosing the 2016 RAV4 with or without the power liftgate.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2013 Rav LTD with power liftgate. It was my first vehicle with one and it'll be my last. It's already had two of the actuators replaced which if out of warranty are over $800CAD each.

There have been so many times I press the interior or even exterior button to only have it go BEEP BEEP and not open. Very annoying.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is no on/off switch in the glovebox in the 2016 models with the color instrument cluster screen. On/off & other settings are done through menus on that screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The power lift gate is one of the nicest features of the car Imo.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
No problems with the 2015 or the 2016 Hybrid, love it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know it may be an invalid comparison but I have had similar power liftgates on my 2006 Sienna AWD XLE and 2009 Sienna XLE and have had no problems to date.

The 2006 will get traded for a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited on Tuesday. I hope the power liftgate on it is as good as the Sienna's have been.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I thought the latch was the same type even without the power lift gate. I might be mistaken about that but I know for sure that a newer Camry I've driven had that same latch system(and obviously no power function).

*I'm not trying to argue, just discuss.
I have no experience with the non-powered LE models, so that may be the case.
So the Camry was the same as the Rav, with just a rubber pad next to the camera under the lip?

I have not tried to open ours with the glovebox lockout set.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So the Camry was the same as the Rav, with just a rubber pad next to the camera under the lip?
Yep, it was the same little pad above the license plate on I believe a 2013 Camry. I fumbled around trying to find the latch on the Camry the first couple times but it was immediately familiar to me on the Rav because of that.

@OP: I forgot to mention, the power hatch isn't a speed demon but the only time I wished it was faster was when I've had my hands full waiting for it to close to lock it. It might lock without waiting for it to close but I haven't gotten around to testing that yet.

I was concerned about reliability before I bought mine but after doing some research it seemed like the '13 model(the first year it was offered) had some issues but the '14 and '15 models seem to be fairly reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yep, it was the same little pad above the license plate on I believe a 2013 Camry. I fumbled around trying to find the latch on the Camry the first couple times but it was immediately familiar to me on the Rav because of that.
Cool.
Good to know.
Of course, it's still an electric lock so if the battery is dead, we're still stuck with getting in (and loading any packages) through the doors.

It might lock without waiting for it to close but I haven't gotten around to testing that yet.
No automatic locking on the XLE, not ability to lock from the exterior without the smart key or the remote.

When opening the hatch, it unlocks all doors (even if you just parked and locked your doors). Closing, it simply closes. I've waited 5 minutes to see if it auto-locks and it hasn't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No automatic locking on the XLE, not ability to lock from the exterior without the smart key or the remote.

When opening the hatch, it unlocks all doors (even if you just parked and locked your doors). Closing, it simply closes. I've waited 5 minutes to see if it auto-locks and it hasn't.
I've been disappointed about the lack of autolock but what I was trying to say is that I've been meaning to check whether I can lock it while the gate is still going down or if it will unlock itself when it closes(like closing some car doors without the handle up). Of course I only think about it when I'm standing there with my hands full waiting for it to close.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
LOL!
I'll try to remember to hit the lock button faster next time and see what it does.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't really care for power liftgate when I was buying, but it came with the package that had Nav and the color I wanted. So far, I have enjoyed having that convenience. It is a little slow, but if you work around it, it is nice.

I've hit the lock button as the gate was going down and I do hear an audible locking of the doors. If I hit the button while the gate is still up, it won't do anything. So, my habit has been to push the button on the bottom of the gate to start the closing and then hit my lock key. Works every time.

Now if only my radio would stop re-booting itself randomly..........:frown

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've hit the lock button as the gate was going down and I do hear an audible locking of the doors. If I hit the button while the gate is still up, it won't do anything. So, my habit has been to push the button on the bottom of the gate to start the closing and then hit my lock key. Works every time.
I confirmed that today as well. You can hit the lock button on your remote immediately after hitting the close button, and all doors will be locked once its closed, including the hatch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I understand (and agree) that the power lift gate moves a little slow but I just don't wait.

If I am in the car and I know I need to get someone out of the back, I turn the car off and I hit the open button in the cab. Get out and walk to the back and it is opened by the time I get there. I get what I need, hit the button to close walk over to the driver door to touch the handle (to lock the door) and walk away.

When returning to the car, if I know I need to put something in the back, I hit the open button on the remote and it is opened by the time I get there. I put whatever in the truck, hit the button and head to driver seat. By the time I get in, put my seat belt on, turn the car on, the lift gate is closed.

If you are waiting for the lift gate to finish opening/closing before moving onto something else, you might be spending a lot of time waiting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts