Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/rivals-ford-escape-vs-honda-cr-v-vs-toyota-rav4/

Roadshow puts the three best-selling small SUVs through on- and off-road driving challenges, and there can only be one winner.

Look at a list of the top-selling cars in the US, and among the many midsize sedans you will find a solid collection of small SUVs. It seems that people find this class of car worthy as an everyday driver, and why not? The modern small SUV has about the same footprint as a midsize sedan, gets decent fuel economy and offers very versatile interior space for passengers and cargo.
Automakers have responded to this popularity with a deluge of small SUVs. Given this wealth of choice, we chose the top three sellers so far in 2016, the 2016 Honda CR-V, 2017 Ford Escape and 2016 Toyota RAV4, as the subject of this episode of Roadshow Rivals.
For our comparison, we considered road feel, cabin space, electronics and driver assistance systems. Going above and beyond a typical test, we chose the all-wheel-drive versions of these cars and took them off-road.

Third place: Honda CR-V

Second place: Ford Escape

First place: Toyota RAV4

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
They apparently omitted the Subaru Forester, which according to Consumer Reports is their number one choice after testing.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
They apparently omitted the Subaru Forester, which according to Consumer Reports is their number one choice after testing.
But not in the top three sellers - yet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
We have a 16 Forester Touring and 14 RAV4 Limited -- both are great cars. Our 11 CRV was a great reliable car also, just wanted to try something else.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
But not in the top three sellers - yet.

Yeah - I was hinting that it's easy to skew public perception by omitting relevant material and headlining the information as was done to justify that. Incidentally, it appears that at least in this neck of the woods the Subie Forester now is outselling the RAV by quite a lot.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
As I intimated the sales percentage figures in this area apparently are different from the national figures. The third generation RAV4 was hugely popular here but the fourth generation apparently is not so much, and as third generation RAV4s a are being traded in or whatever many are being replaced by CR-Vs, and the Subie Forester is gaining quite a lot as is Jeep. Of course there are gen. 4 RAVs around as well and their numbers are increasing. But one neighbor traded in his 4th gen. RAV for a new 6-cyl Highlander and another traded hers for a new CR-V.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing that surprised me most in the story was when they said the CR-V couldn't make it up their test hill, but the RAV4 and Escape could. And then they tried a much steeper hill, and the RAV4 overcame that. And they praised the 4WD lock, which the others didn't have.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I suspect the CR/V would have done just fine if the driver was more familiar with traction control and VSC or whatever Honda calls their systems, I wasn't impressed with the Rav4 driver's knowledge of the Rav4, 7 speed transmission and ounces torque???? :roll:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ford Escape was never in the picture when we made the decision to look into a new vehicle. CR-V and Forrester were in the conversation, but we decided to go with Toyota. We considered the Sienna, but decided we didn't really need a minivan anymore (after owning 3 Dodge Caravans). The RAV4 was the perfect fit for us.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They never tried going up with the Escape on the steep hill, and did not state they used the lock on the RAV, they just said it was their if needed, and from the looks if she used it she was going over 25mph that disengages the lock when she hit the hill but never stated she pressed it and when if pressed, even on the steep hill.

This test up the hill is totally invalid to me; it should have been one driver in all three vehicles, going into the hill at one speed.

One person in all 3 vehicles would have been the real test, not this one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They never tried going up with the Escape on the steep hill, and did not state they used the lock on the RAV, they just said it was their if needed, and from the looks if she used it she was going over 25mph that disengages the lock when she hit the hill but never stated she pressed it and when if pressed, even on the steep hill.

This test up the hill is totally invalid to me; it should have been one driver in all three vehicles, going into the hill at one speed.

One person in all 3 vehicles would have been the real test, not this one.
Yep, those folks have often been criticized for having too many variables in their comparisons. In one of their recent sport coupe comparisons they used 3 different people for 0-60 runs in three cars. And those were runs where manual shifting was involved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts