Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be nice to have a spot where former 4.3 owners could check in and let everyone know what is up and what they are driving since leaving their 4.3.

There have been a lot of great members here over the years and I am sure they still check in from time to time to read the current trends of our old rides. Now all of us former owners can see what your up to. This section sure seems quiet now compared to what it used to be.

Our 2007 V6 was totalled in an accident in 2013. We replaced it with a 2014 Subaru Forester. It was a great vehicle but we just traded it in with 87000 km for a 2016 Subaru Outback. Liking it even more than the Forester.

·
Registered
263 Posts
outbacks rule :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get off the forum traitors.....LOL

To bad about the Rav, Congrats on the Outback. Really nice vehicle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Chalk up another Rav4-to-Outback owner. I just took delivery of a 2016 OB Limited with the H6 engine to replace my 2010 Limited V6. Let's just hope it holds up just as well as the Rav, which never gave a minute's trouble.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Chalk up another Rav4-to-Outback owner. I just took delivery of a 2016 OB Limited with the H6 engine to replace my 2010 Limited V6. Let's just hope it holds up just as well as the Rav, which never gave a minute's trouble.
If you haven't had any trouble with your 2010 RAV4 Limited V6, why trade it in for an Outback?

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you haven't had any trouble with your 2010 RAV4 Limited V6, why trade it in for an Outback?
1. Because I wanted to...
2. ...and I could.:smile

The Outback was a significant step up in terms of features and amenities.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It has been one month since I traded my trouble free 2010 RAV4 Sport V6 with SAP / 4wd for a 2014 BMW X3 35i. The biggest difference is in the handling, the BMW takes corners much better. Followed by the power, the twin turbo offers almost instant power at pretty much any speed. My RAV4 was quick but you can certainly notice the difference especially in torque. Lastly are the creature comforts way too many to mention. Now the reality check, I am paying about $0.90 more per gallon (using 91 octane versus 87), I am going to pay my MO tax bill ($2,000) today, I am paying about $25 more per month for the same insurance coverage. Oh and of course this week I make my first car payment :(. However I have no regrets so far. Of course its only been a month.

BTW: I am averaging the same mpg in this car (22.5 mpg). This is interesting since it weights about 4,230 pounds (versus approx. 3,670), has roughly 30 more horse power and 50 pounds more torque. Must be because of the higher octane...............?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It has been one month since I traded my trouble free 2010 RAV4 Sport V6 with SAP / 4wd for a 2014 BMW X3 35i. The biggest difference is in the handling, the BMW takes corners much better. Followed by the power, the twin turbo offers almost instant power at pretty much any speed. My RAV4 was quick but you can certainly notice the difference especially in torque. Lastly are the creature comforts way too many to mention. Now the reality check, I am paying about $0.90 more per gallon (using 91 octane versus 87), I am going to pay my MO tax bill ($2,000) today, I am paying about $25 more per month for the same insurance coverage. Oh and of course this week I make my first car payment :(. However I have no regrets so far. Of course its only been a month.

BTW: I am averaging the same mpg in this car (22.5 mpg). This is interesting since it weights about 4,230 pounds (versus approx. 3,670), has roughly 30 more horse power and 50 pounds more torque. Must be because of the higher octane...............?
I went in the opposite direction, i.e., from an X3 to a V6 RAV. :D In your terms, I went from unending troubles to trouble free. Your post is some months ago. How many miles do you have on your X3? How much have you spent on maintenance?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
My sister just got a 2016 Subaru Outback Limited H6 to replace her BMW X3. The X3 was burning coolant, and her mechanic told her to get rid of it. I got to test drive the Outback and was very impressed. She couldn't tell me what half the buttons or features were for. Anyway, she drove down from Little Rock to Baton Rouge and back again only to find that there was a recall on the steering column. They had her tow it to the dealer and they kept it for over a week. Any other Outback owners get a recall notice?

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
My sister just got a 2016 Subaru Outback Limited H6 to replace her BMW X3. I got to test drive the Outback and was very impressed. She couldn't tell me what half the buttons or features were for. Anyway, she drove it . . .only to find that there was a recall on the steering column. They had her tow it to the dealer and they kept it for over a week. Any other Outback owners get a recall notice?

Is the Outback steering column recall for the Takata airbag problem rather than for the steering column itself?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Is the Outback steering column recall for the Takata airbag problem rather than for the steering column itself?
No, the way she described it, the recall was for something that could affect the steering, not the airbag. I doubt any company is using Takata airbags in their 2016 models. I found it with a Google search:

CARS.COM
Vehicles Affected: Roughly 48,500 model-year 2016 and 2017 Subaru Legacy sedans and Outback wagons built from Feb. 29, 2016 to May 6, 2016. Of that total, Subaru says about 22,000 are owned by customers, while another 26,500 are on dealer lots or elsewhere in the pipeline. In addition, some model-year 2015 Outbacks built on April 14, 2015 may be affected because they got the defective part as a repair, according the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The Problem: Affected vehicles could have defective steering columns, with the result that "turning the steering wheel may have no effect on the direction of the wheels," NHTSA says. That, in turn, could lead to a crash.
The Fix: Dealers will inspect the column and replace it if necessary.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The Problem: Affected vehicles could have defective steering columns, with the result that "turning the steering wheel may have no effect on the direction of the wheels," NHTSA says. That, in turn, could lead to a crash.
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh...that could lead to a crash.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.

:wink

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
CARS.COM

The Fix: Dealers will inspect the column and replace it if necessary.
Whoa!! No wonder that Subaru had the Outback towed to the dealer's for remedial work! My guess is that a non-operative steering mechanism would certainly be problematic! :surprise

And - Ouch! From a June 15, 2016 article: "Fiat Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Volkswagen acknowledged they've been installing the (Takata) air bags in new vehicles. These are cars in current production that are using ammonium-nitrate air bag inflators without a chemical drying agent."

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
And - Ouch! From a June 15, 2016 article: "Fiat Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Volkswagen acknowledged they've been installing the (Takata) air bags in new vehicles. These are cars in current production that are using ammonium-nitrate air bag inflators without a chemical drying agent."
Brilliant, simply brilliant! :frown

1 - 16 of 16 Posts