Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Former Diesel to Hybrid drivers

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  volosong 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just like to find out if how many of us came from diesel. What's your experience from previous diesel and how do you find it with this new hybrid of yours?

I used to drive isuzu gemini diesel back in the 80's and again with isuzu crosswind diesel. I was very happy with it, until i decided to live here in Canada where those brands doesn't sell here. There where times when I plan to go for either bm or benz but end up with this rav4 hybrid. By the way, I driving gas, a crv for 8 years prior to this hybrid.

My isuzu crosswind can run between 600 to 750 kilometres for the full thank of gas. I still haven't tried to measure my rav4 on how long can it run for a full thank but i'll celebrate big time if it goes over 750 kilometres in a thank.

Nel

#2 ·
According to Google, the 2016 Rav4 hybrid gas tank is 12.3 gallons.

In order for the full tank to last 750 km (466 mi), you would need to average 37.9 mpg, which isn't that far over what it's rated.

I've seen reports of people getting that or even a little better, so I guess it is possible, depending on your driving habits and road conditions.

#5 ·
i agree with your reply, but i like to experience that from my own car with my own driving style and conditions. based from where it's going, i think it will exceed 750 km. Also would like to try this with and without the eco mode and see what's the difference.

#6 ·
I've had a few diesels in the stable, and still have one that I drove to work just today. Yes, the RAV doesn't go as far on a tank of gas. The diesel I had that went the furthest was the '79 Rabbit diesel. It was the first car that I purchased new and in those days, you could purchase an additional fuel tank that fit into the spare wheel/tire well in the trunk. It increased the 11-gallon capacity to 22 gallons total. That was good for about 950 miles between fuel stops. At the time, I lived in Escondido and would go down once a month to La Mesa in Mexico to fill up for a peso a liter. That was about $4.50 for twenty plus gallons of fuel.

Among the diesels that I've own/owned are:

'68 Mercedes Benz 220D
'78 Volkswagen Rabbit diesel
'79 Volkswagen Rabbit diesel
'80 Volkswagen Dasher wagon diesel
'80 Mercedes Benz 240D
'84 Volkswagen Jetta diesel
'85 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.2 (the one I still own)

Every single one of them have/had a manual transmission; and every single one of them went more than 200,000 miles, (except for the '85, which I"m still working on). I gave away the '80 Mercedes because I felt guilty selling it with over 300,000 miles on it. I wish they sold the RAV4 with a stick-shift transmission here in the states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.