Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a gorgeous 2008 one-owner car that I am considering purchasing. I'm curious, where are the common areas to look for rust issues on these? I want one that does not have a head start on rust.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I see a few bits of rust on the undercarriage, just looks like surface rust to me though. no damage, I hope anyway

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an 07 Sport with no rust whatsoever. I will say that I undercoat it twice a year in the yard. Once really well just before Winter and then a touch up in the Spring. Mine might be the exception to the rule when it comes to rust or the lack there of.

·
Registered
263 Posts
^ I'd do that if I had the car from start. i'll probably spray with some treatment once this winter is done

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where (geographically) has the car lived?
This info will perhaps give us an idea of how best to advise you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where (geographically) has the car lived?
This info will perhaps give us an idea of how best to advise you.
I thought it was Nashville (where it is for sale), but the carfax showed that it spent most of the time in CT, so I passed on it as I can can get one like that locally. Instead, I bought a 2010 that spent 1 year in IN and the remainder in SC. IT has no rust issues present, according to the inpector I hired. I hope to keep it that way for a long time with fluid film applications.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check the exhaust system. A rusty muffler is an expensive fix if you go the OEM route.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the exhaust system. A rusty muffler is an expensive fix if you go the OEM route.
I would weld in an aftermarket stainless steel muffler if it was bad. OEM is crazy money. Good call though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would weld in an aftermarket stainless steel muffler if it was bad. OEM is crazy money. Good call though.
That's the route my mechanic went with. It was still an unwelcome surprise, though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just bought an 08 Limited V6 in SC. I could not find any rust underneath. The Carfax shows it was sold and regustered in SC twice and both owners serviced it regularly at the local Toyota dealer. It's only got 113k and only needs new tires. It was a voluntary repo at my credit union and was spotlessly clean when it arrived the day before I saw it. I only paid 9k for it. It's loaded with leather and lots of options. No rust concerns since it will never see snow or salty roads.

Reactions: Dave R

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I just bought an 08 Limited V6 in SC. I could not find any rust underneath. The Carfax shows it was sold and regustered in SC twice and both owners serviced it regularly at the local Toyota dealer. It's only got 113k and only needs new tires. It was a voluntary repo at my credit union and was spotlessly clean when it arrived the day before I saw it. I only paid 9k for it. It's loaded with leather and lots of options. No rust concerns since it will never see snow or salty roads.
Sounds like a pretty nice ride. Many happy miles!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts