Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently found a new feature. When leaving my rav, I used to push a lock button
on the key fob to lock the car. The car gets locked right away. I found now, if I push unlock button instead on the key fob, the car will still lock, but just after about one minute. So it does not matter, what to push, the rav will be locked any way.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
If you press unlock and don't open a door within a minute or so it locks on its own. Opening a door cancels the timer to re lock.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
many vehicles have this feature...my guess is that it's done so if you accidentally hit the unlock button the vehicle re locks to prevent unauthorized entry...

·
Registered
98 Posts
My other vehicle (Honda Element) has the same DESIGN FLAW built in except it's a 30 second delay instead of 60. (Can you tell how MAD that thing makes me?) I have arthritic fingers so in the winter, I need to unlock the doors in the morning from inside the house, yank on the second glove, fumble with the door lock, and then run (run... yeah) for the car - only to have the [BLANK] lock click shut again as my fingers reach the door handle. Day after freakin day, I curse the engineer who wired that in to the vehicle with no way to shut it off.

When I unlock a door, I expect it to STAY unlocked until I want it to do something else. For that matter, When I tell a tool to do -anything- then I expect it to stay put and not try to say something like "Oh! I know you told me to do (this) but I'm sooooo sure you really wanted me to do something else." In the Element group, I've suggested that I'd like whoever was responsible for this [BLANK] to stand outside my car in the winter in their underwear and enjoy the cold while they wait to unlock the door for me. I'd like to repeat that here, just in case there really is any justice in the world.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
My 2008 RAV4 had a 30-second re-lock delay, and like desinia, I found that too short. When I got Techstream, I re-programmed it to 60 seconds.

KSNancy, you can also disable that Panic button with Techstream.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts