Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Rav4 world. I need your help.

I drive a 2005 RAV4S with 154,525 miles on it.

The past 2 months I have been battling the P0442/P2118 Codes. I have the check engine light on with the VSC & TRACTION CONTROL lights on. I have had issues with a rough idle where the RPM's dip low when I come to a complete stop.

I have replaced the gas cap per getting the code read at Autozone/Oreilley's and going to my mechanic. I replaced it with an Autozone gas cap first, then the code came back and went to the dealership and replaced it with a Toyota gas cap. I reset the code by removing the negative terminal on the battery. The lights came back on in 48 hours.

I then inspected the hoses for the EVAP system. Found a hose disconnected and re-attached it and did the soap water test to make sure it was connected securely. The lights remained on. I reset by removing the negative battery terminal.

48 hours later the lights came back on.

Please point me in the direction to get this fixed. I am tired of my engine running poorly, getting bad gas mileage and not having vehicle stability control and no traction control is a major issue in the rain and damp pavement!

Thank you in advance and sorry for the short novel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you Thank you

Thank you for all of the input. I turned out to be the Funnel neck that had the leak. It took the shop I went to all morning yesterday to find the leak because it was so small.

Does anyone know on newer vehicles if codes are as picky with this small of a leak? This seems very ridiculous for a hole the size of a pin to cause this much of an issue!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Jacob. I'm new to the Ravs but I have chased codes before in other makes. I think you are wondering if this has your issue repaired. I have my fingers crossed for you. I'm a little skeptical that a pin hole in the filler neck would cause these consistent codes. My sisters car has thrown a code that points to something similar. I'm going to follow your thread. Good luck. Hope you've solved your issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I replaced the filler neck last Thursday and reset the code on Sunday and per usual in a 48 hour cycle the Check Engine Light , VSC and TRACTION CONTROL light came back on. I can tell it is not idling as rough when
I come to a complete stop but it still occasionally has a rough idle.

I guess my next assumption is the Purge Valve. My luck it is the charcoal canister.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took it to Autozone and it came up with only one code this time. P0442 replace charcoal canister.

Does anyone know of any fixes to this without replacing the whole thing? It is a $300/$400 dollar part and from what I gather it needs to be OEM to which I assume would be $700-$800 at Toyota.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Just took it to Autozone and it came up with only one code this time. P0442 replace charcoal canister.

Does anyone know of any fixes to this without replacing the whole thing? It is a $300/$400 dollar part and from what I gather it needs to be OEM to which I assume would be $700-$800 at Toyota.
If you dont mind used parts

Search here for vapor canister

http://car-part.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts